How much should I expect to pay for all these.

Hi Guys,

I just bought a house and was wondering how much should I budget for the following renovation list:

1. New modern style Kitchen (those with Black stone bench top with aluminum fridge style)
2. New modern style bathroom
3. replacing the whole floor with timber floor
4. knocking off the walls in the middle of the house to make it open plan
5. outside veranda would also like to replace/cover the concrete floor with those nice looking outdoor wooden floor

I've done some quick online research and some company are offering a complete kitchen set for $2000 but does not include demolish and installation.

Cheers :)

Impossible to answer such vague questions with anything remotely accurate.

1) what size/layout? What kind of appliances? Overheads? Mainly drawers or just shelves?

2) full height tiling? Any feature tiling? Bath? Tap ware budget? What kind of vanity?

3) what's there atm? How hard will it be to remove? Total area? Solid wood? What kind?

4) what are the walls made of? Are they load bearing?

5) you need more info too

If you're planning such a reno I'd suggest working out what you actually want here and how much involvement you want. there are far too many what ifs atm for any figure given to be anything more than a blind guess.

It's really hard to provide an accurate response.

We carried out very similar work in our PPOR last year and the cost was more than $100k

Cheers

Jamie

How deep are your pockets?

Do you plan to diy or engage a builder?

Over what time frame?

Kitchen - $5k-$50k
Bathroom: $8k - $25k
Flooring: $35-$150/m2
Verandah: $5k - $35k

All depending upon the scope and inversely proportional to depth of your pockets/ length of your arms ^2

How long is a piece of string?

There is not nearly enough information provided to give any kind of real answer to the question.

Hi Guys,

I just bought a house and was wondering how much should I budget for the following renovation list:

1. New modern style Kitchen (those with Black stone bench top with aluminum fridge style)
2. New modern style bathroom
3. replacing the whole floor with timber floor
4. knocking off the walls in the middle of the house to make it open plan
5. outside veranda would also like to replace/cover the concrete floor with those nice looking outdoor wooden floor

I've done some quick online research and some company are offering a complete kitchen set for $2000 but does not include demolish and installation.

Cheers :)

It's a very hard questions to answer.
The best way to figure out all the rough cost is to have some type of drawing/drafting done at least. Even a rough hand drawing with some rough measurement will help you get more accurate figure.

Once you have a draft done, then you go to kitchen/bathroom/ outdoor decking show room to have a look, if what you want can fit into your drafting. then you can get some idea on how much each area will cost.

Knocking down a wall is tricky. Because you need to see if it is a supporting wall holding up the roof. If it is a supporting wall, then it will cost more to knock down and replace a supporting beam in. Ask a builder to have a look.

Good luck, I hope this will help :)

Thanks for the responds guys, seems like my first step is to do some drafting first.

I'm not looking at really fancy finishes but just not too simple, maybe $7k on kitchen and $8k on bathroom.

With regards to knocking down the wall, if the builder come back saying it is not a supporting wall, roughly how much would I be looking at for the labor if anyone ever done it before?

Cheers and appreciated for all the informative comments :)

Impossible to answer such vague questions with anything remotely accurate.

1) what size/layout? What kind of appliances? Overheads? Mainly drawers or just shelves?

2) full height tiling? Any feature tiling? Bath? Tap ware budget? What kind of vanity?

3) what's there atm? How hard will it be to remove? Total area? Solid wood? What kind?

4) what are the walls made of? Are they load bearing?

5) you need more info too

If you're planning such a reno I'd suggest working out what you actually want here and how much involvement you want. there are far too many what ifs atm for any figure given to be anything more than a blind guess.

Thanks for the reply, now at least i've got a questioning list to go for. :) cheers mate :D

post-29022-0-79014200-1368993730.jpg

I'm not looking at really fancy finishes but just not too simple, maybe $7k on kitchen and $8k on bathroom.
You mentioned stone benchtops - simple does not equal cheap.

With regards to knocking down the wall, if the builder come back saying it is not a supporting wall

Is it brick? P/B & Timber stud? Wattle & Daub? Mud Brick? Gold plated titanium? What is above it? How much is being cut out? Does the roof require resupporting? What about the floor?

Back