how to brighten up fascia of house ??

without using just paint , btw some panels were asbestos and was replaced and repainted when i had insurance came around to fix front from some holes last tennant put in...

my friend suggest get a professional render in and make the front look like sand stone or just normal render with some sandstone blocks (lookalike on corner) will definately enhance my chance of selling this house for price i want.. oh and piss off that over hang eves/awing and replace with roller shutters or something.

some suggestions ? can i do this myself ? does paint need to be stripped ?
i am not 2 bad with a trowel :)
what sort of stuff would i need, what sort of budget ? anyone DIY before? i know theres some cement render mix in shops, how do i get fake sandstone look ?

TO SOMETHING LIKE THIS

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=p8z&sa=N&um=1

Hi Atti,
Personally I have not attempted a rendering job of this nature before, but have seen it done and would recommend the professionals. You could acheive a similar look to what you show by rendering and attaching "look alike" quions on the corners. They're made of polystyrene foam and once rendered look the part.

That's my two bob's worth.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

In canberra, i found the local tafe did a course in rendering. I attended it, it was very worthwhile - taught by an old bloke who knew more about rendering than... (insert analogy here about someone who knows a lot)

You may wish to check to see if there is someting available in your area?

jas please share with us some tips and tactics :)
i am complete novice but i am not afraid to get dirty and have a go... money is quiet tight atm, i've managed to do bathroom and kitchen reno under 1500 but brand new carpet through house was 1500 (done by pros) that hurts, bits and pieces blinds etc another few hundred..

house is actually pretty good now would be very appealing to FHOB with eye for development in future (5-15 years from now).. thats market i am targeting when i go to sell this... i've got another 3-4 months before fhbg end to get this up in market....

still got paving/outback veranda to do and front fascia and coat of paint exterior =\ i should be done with bathroom by end of this week but i wanna research how to do this front rendering and jump straight into it next week..

if i had cash i would love to pay pro's to do all the hardwork but i am dryer then beef jerky :(

project 1080, do you know where i can get my hands on some of this lightweight stuff and how to attached it over asbestos sheeting (imagining alot of liquid nails :p ) humzzz sticky hands can imagine myself peeling liquid nails off my fingers haha like my kitchen job..

Rendering is tricky. I wouldn't jump right into it as a novice without some serious practise.

You do know that the fascia is just the bit of board your gutters are stuck to, right? You're probably thinking 'facade'.

thats the word thanks elf :) facade will definately lift this house up and make it look million bucks, the roof tiles is actually in really good condition, probally the first thing caught my eye and only thing when i bought this house lol also i found 350 bucks under the carpet tiles :D

Atti,
There is a place in George St Thebarton, opp City Holden but can't think of name.

Anyway, have a wander around the enclosed site. Will probably answer all your questions. http://www.unitexsa.com.au/coatings.html. They will probablty tell you a local supplier.

And yes, I think the quoins are simply glued on.

Project 1080.

The project: 1 IPs on 80 mths.

jas please share with us some tips and tactics :)

I'm afraid I don't have much. It was more a matter of practice than tricks. If you intend to render, the teacher recommended you start on an area that won't be seen much. But he did promise that by the time you got to the front that you would be ok.

Frankly, I found it a lot like icing a cake. Smooth and steady was the way to do.

thanks i'll be checking out unitex place. checked out some of the before after shots its really good a old 60s-70s house with render just turns into modern new look in an instant.. ofcourse i dont expect mine to be as good but just something very basic would lift whole place up... need to create feeling of "i can really live here and knowing that i can knock it down in future and be infront of all my neighbours who pay same price for half size block...

atti,

I know you are on a budget. There is really nothing you can do with professional render products yourself that will:
1. Be low cost
2. Will look great after a DIYer (like you or me) has "had a go" for the very first time

Even if you managed by some miracle to do a fantastic job - and you only did the front, it is really not going to fool anybody if the sides and back remain as, what looks like from the pics, flat fibro / hardiplank.

In my view FWIW you can achieve a similar effect buy using a product like Dulux Render Effects.

http://www.dulux.com.au/html/planning/product_range_exterior_effects.aspx

I have seen this used and it looked good and took away the 'bareness' of flat walls by adding texture and at the same time the house still looked 'honest'.

Just my 2c

I am reluctant to add my comment because I don't want it to be seen as a negative. But rendering an asbestos house doesn't take away from the fact that it is asbestos.

I think it could look to prospective purchasers that you are trying to hide what it is. I also would do what you can to freshen it up, but spending money on something that is trying to hide something seems to be a waste, at least to my mind.

Last edited:
Wylie and Propertunity are right.

Not far from where I live there is a transportable house that is rendered to look solid and has quoins on the edges, probably the look you're after. It is still clearly a transportable house up on stumps, not a nice brick rendered one. What gives it several levels of wrongness is the fact that they haven't infilled the base (you can see the stumps, and right under the house all the way to the blue sky behind) so it looks like a fake stone house cheaply done.

Besides what Propertunity said to use, which sounds ideal btw, have you considered sticking weatherboards to the house over the fibro sheets? Take the joiners off first, obviously. You can still tell it is a sheeting-clad house but weatherboards look a lot nicer than flat sheeting so at least you'll add some character. Weatherboards are pretty cheap, too. Just for god's sake use the proper joiners between sheets and on the corners or you'll look like a total cheapskate amateur. And use a spirit level :p

You have a very tiny house there from the floorplan, much smaller than my little cottage that I'd consider juuuuust big enough for a FHB or retiree, don't go dressing it up as something its not. It'll show.

lol maybe right, i am spending too much time&effort it'll be sad if someone comes along with dozer and bull it down.....

thats just an idea i guess because first impression last :)

enough with the bluesky i am lmao already hehehe anychance for pic of that house elf ?

Pah, I haven't painted the outside of my latest reno yet so it still looks like a neglected 1900s worker's cottage not a renovated one from the street. Been too busy painting the the house I just moved from. Took forever to settle on a colour scheme, I finally bought the paint, haven't painted it yet :rolleyes:

You'd never get away with what I did to the old house - it is painted russet (a very reddish brown) and black. The inside is kinda wild too, lots of deep red and orange, looks good but in a different way to the boring beige of the new house. I didn't pick the colours for resale ... it is very striking though, since I finished painting it a lot more tourists are stopping to take pics of the house. Russet looks really good against standstone. Should get some photos of the outside ...

http://giraffian.com/shearers-corner that's what we've done (well, taken photos of) so far though, should keep you occupied ;) Just bear in mind I paid $25,000 for the house and the renos were all ultra-low budget ...

I'm supposed to be gyprocking the damaged wall in the bathroom today and here I am on the internet instead ...

In my view FWIW you can achieve a similar effect buy using a product like Dulux Render Effects.

Atti,
Check out the pics I posted on threadhttp://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52253&highlight=road+noise. To provide a guide, I did this with the Dulux Rendered effects paint. We're talking 1.8m high by about 13m wide, single side, 2 tins x 10 ltrs. Probably could have done with second coat but looks ok. I found it easier to trowel the paint on rather than using a roller (it's that thick).
FWIW get a couple of renderers to give you a quote.

You mentioned perhaps you'd be doing the work for someone to only bulldoze it. Why don't you look into the costs of getting subdivision approvals and sell to a developer as is? May be cheaper in the long run and it saves the hassle of renovating-possibly for little gain at the end of it.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Back