How to Calculating Cash Flow Before I Buy my first IP?

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and keen to learn.

Thank you everyone for contributing to this awesome forum and passing the knowledge on. I will be doing the same as soon as I can.

Question. How to calculate cash flow before buying my first IP?

For example, The following figures are a bit of guess work. Please let me know if i'm in the ball park or if I've overlooked something(s).

Price = 400k
Deposit = 40k
Loan = 360k (assume no lmi)
Stamp duty = 15k

Income
Rent p.w. = 440
Rent p.a. = 22,800

Expenses
Mortgage repayments = 21,600 p.a. (assume 6% x 360k)
Prop Mgt fees = 1600 p.a. (7%)
Maintenance/repairs = 2000
Vacancy = 880
Landlord insurance = 1000
Council rates = 1000
Misc = 500
Total exp = 27,582

Net cash flow before tax = -4,700
Depreciation (say 3k x 37% tax rate) = 1110

Net cash flow after tax = -3590 or -70 p.w.

Let me know if I'm on the right track?

Thanks guys
steve

Yea sounds about right.

Keep your eye on the horizon though, not on the footprints, if you wish to travel far.

Net cash flow before tax = -4,700
Depreciation (say 3k x 37% tax rate) = 1110

Net cash flow after tax = -3590 or -70 p.w.

You're mixing before and after tax.

Net tax loss is 7,700.

After tax cashflow is (-4,700 x 0.63 + 3,000 x 0.37) = -1,850.

This assumes your other income is at least 87,700.

(Cashflow before tax+depriciation)x37% is what you will get from ATO.
That's $2849

(-4700+2849)/52= -$35.5 per week.

At 3% inflation, in 3 years the rents will be $480.

thanks

thanks everyone, i really appreciate the help.

Those figures were guess work only - but it seems correct (as long as i add the depreciation to the taxable loss).

My goal is positive cash flow, which is proving extremely difficult to find. After a lot of research, this only seems possible through dual living, or buying cheaper properties in country areas.

I am looking at buying my first IP sight unseen. How do you guys handle dealing with agents to ask all of the right questions? I don't really trust them (esp when they give rental estimates) and don't want to give too much away when i talk to them.

steve

thanks everyone, i really appreciate the help.

Those figures were guess work only - but it seems correct (as long as i add the depreciation to the taxable loss).

My goal is positive cash flow, which is proving extremely difficult to find. After a lot of research, this only seems possible through dual living, or buying cheaper properties in country areas.

I am looking at buying my first IP sight unseen. How do you guys handle dealing with agents to ask all of the right questions? I don't really trust them (esp when they give rental estimates) and don't want to give too much away when i talk to them.

steve

Don't rely on agents for info. Find out what you can for yourself, send them an email or a phone call for the final bits or to make an offer.

Back