How to get a good PM

OK, so we've done it!!! Just purchased out first IP!
Its very exciting, but my head is a bit muddled!
Think my next step will be to get a good property manager.
How do I go about doing this, what questions do I ask, should I just stick to the one that is currently doing the job (who also happens to be the r/e that sold the property)??

Thanks for any help.

Give the current one a go. If you are not happy with them find another one. Just make sure you abide by the property management agreement in relation to moving management on if the need arises.

Word of mouth from other investors is the best way to find a good PM.

Hope this helps.

You won't know until you suck it and see.

I got recommended one a while ago and she was a total dud.

But whoever you choose, make sure you change the Management Contract clause for time frame for terminating the Contract from whatever is written, down to 2 weeks and get them to sign off on that.

And also look for the clause that states they can be paid any unpaid commission for the remainder of the Management Contract; delete that too.

Also a good idea to change the amount of money you allow them to spend on repairs without your consent from whatever they have printed, down to $100 - someone here posted a while ago that they changed that figure with their PM down to zero dollars.

These changes are simply a matter of putting a big bold line through what is printed, and writing in your changes. The agents will not like it, as it is not in their best interests, but it IS in yours, and they will comply if you are firm on it.

They will begrudgingly accept it, as I have found from experience.

Otherwise; find another PM.

We've found the most important aspect was to have a real estate firm who have procedures in place to deal with all facets of the PM's role. In doing so, if the PM ever leaves, the REA firm is obliged to provide the same service with a new incumbent.

In our experience, a mature age person who has good people management skills is vital; it helps when dealing with sticky siuations! :)

Hi Mel,
I was recently in the same situation as you. I had 2 PMs inspect the property and give me a rental appraisal. Our property was vacant possesion. I had already discounted the previous PM as they had been renting the property way below what I believed its value was.
Anyway through the appraisal process it gave me a chance to see how professional they were. I made changes to the agreement as L.A.Aussie suggests. Except I went to 1mths notice to terminate the agreement.
Its early days but so far I am happy with the leasing of the property.
Hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Bill

You won't know until you suck it and see.

I got recommended one a while ago and she was a total dud.

But whoever you choose, make sure you change the Management Contract clause for time frame for terminating the Contract from whatever is written, down to 2 weeks and get them to sign off on that.

And also look for the clause that states they can be paid any unpaid commission for the remainder of the Management Contract; delete that too.

Also a good idea to change the amount of money you allow them to spend on repairs without your consent from whatever they have printed, down to $100 - someone here posted a while ago that they changed that figure with their PM down to zero dollars.

These changes are simply a matter of putting a big bold line through what is printed, and writing in your changes. The agents will not like it, as it is not in their best interests, but it IS in yours, and they will comply if you are firm on it.

They will begrudgingly accept it, as I have found from experience.

Otherwise; find another PM.

LA I agree, especially with forwarding unpaid commission for the reminder of the contract, that's esentially saying that they deserve a commission although they did a bad job at managing the property. One or 2 weeks should also be ample time to cancel a contract and we always tell our clients that if they are not happy then we do not want to lock them in, I dont understand agencies that lock in unhappy clients just because!!!!

Be careful with the amount of money that they are allowed to spend on properties, reducing this amount actually impedes on the successful management of your property. I personally would not accept anything below $300 and definately would not take on a client that has written zero! The reason why is because that is setting the pm up for failiure from the begining. The other side of the story is if you do not trust your pm to make necessary repairs they cannot successfully manage your property, you might as well do it yourself. We had a case recently where the landlord's were on holidays and so were the tenants, we recieved a call from neighbours saying that the property was broken into and when we attended there were broken windows and glass everywhere. We were able to quickly get everything repaired because we had a $500 authority from the landlord. Without this in place we would have had to leave the property as it is for 3 weeks until the landlord came back!

The tenants were gone overseas for 5 months and had paid rent in advance for the time, how angry would they have been if on their return nothing was done to rectify the problem for 3 weeks because we could not get hold of the landlord?

In our office we have a pile of maintenance issues ranging from non-working ovens to tears in fly screens, to loose steps on stair cases..... The reason why they are piling up and not done is because the landlord has put in a minimal amount with a "call me first" instruction. Our property managers set aside a time every day for maintenance and with these instructions they cannot send our maintenance people out on the jobs without the landlords approval first. Sometimes it takes 3 to 4 days for the approval from the landlord, sometimes a week sometimes a month! In the mean time, the tenant keeps ringing and we cannot legally do anything about it until the landlord has given us the go ahead according to the agreement. Most of these tenants are not happy then for lease renewals or putting the rent up and the landlord loses business for the sake of saving $300!!!

And do you think that the landlords take the responsibility???? NO, the PM gets blamed!!! :(

New contracts with landlords coming into our office have a large amount and no "ring me" instructions we no longer take on clients who are not going to let us do our job!

I agree be fair to all clients and not demand fees that have not been warrented nor lock clients into contracts although they are not happy with the service. But let us do what we do best that is "manage the property" and ringing landlords every time a minor repair comes up is not managing a property correctly.

In my agreements with my property managers I have a $1000 limit with an instruction to not call me just get it fixed. I have never had a problem in putting rent up or with disgruntled tenants and that's the way the business of property investing should be run!

$0 for repairs, except in emergency, for me..... The emergency clause solves your problem of broken glass due to break-in and other sticky situations. I certainly wouldn't accept a large spending limit. A mobile means I am readily contactable by the PM....... I guess the better you know the PM and how they operate, the more likely you are to give them more control.

I think the maintenance authority comes down to a trust issue - do you trust your PM enough to make a good/economical decision regarding a maintenance issue - to the tune of $x...
I have currently got my maintenance limit at $250 without consent (although my PM emails me to let me know of any issues before going ahead - as I have requested).

Unfortunately there are enough bad and not-so-good PMs around, for me to not trust them with $1000 (3-4wks rent) of my hard earned dollars. One of the biggest problems for me is who they are going to use for the job, and is it the best quote available? I recently had 2 quotes with a $300 difference - if the PM had used their "in-house" garden guy I would have been a further $300 out of pocket. And as demonstrated in another thread (water-pipe leak) , sometimes it is easier or significantly cheaper to do the job yourself, particularly if it is labour intensive - we have found this to be the case, even if we have to fly interstate..

Obviously, if I had 10 IPs I wouldn't necessarily have/want to be so involved, but as it is only 3, I have the time and interest to be involved and fully informed. After all, the $ are coming out of my pocket!

Cheers, Nards

Our property managers set aside a time every day for maintenance and with these instructions they cannot send our maintenance people out on the jobs without the landlords approval first. Sometimes it takes 3 to 4 days for the approval from the landlord, sometimes a week sometimes a month! In the mean time, the tenant keeps ringing and we cannot legally do anything about it until the landlord has given us the go ahead according to the agreement. Most of these tenants are not happy then for lease renewals or putting the rent up and the landlord loses business for the sake of saving $300!!!

Who are these lanlords!!??! That's disgraceful! You either answer/return call's fom the PM the same day, or if you are unable to (can't answer phone at work etc), you give them authority for maintenance!

I can't remember what spending limit I have on my agreement. My PM calls me with any issues regardless (but then again, I always answer my phone! :rolleyes:), as I sometimes get my dad to handle smaller issues. However I have no hesitation in spending what ever is necessary if something breaks, and I trust my PM with handling any big repairs.

Originally Posted by L.AAussie

I was told (can't remember who) that the minimum time for termination was 1 month?

Originally Posted by L.AAussie

I was told (can't remember who) that the minimum time for termination was 1 month?

You'll find that this is the "standard" clause in their "standard" contracts, but if the PM is doing the job badly, you wanna get rid of them asap. Their contracts are worded by them, for them.

People in normal jobs get the boot in one month; why not agents?

As I said; just scrub out what is written and put in your own amount of time. They won't like it, but if they do a good job it is irrelevant.

I think that a $300 - $500 amount where the PM is allowed to carry out maintenance without calling you is suitable normally. I tried the zero amount on my first IP and really got tired of being called all of the time to authorise repairs. The PM is paid to use there judgement for this. If you see in your statements that they are sending people in to repair things regularly that don't look reasonable I would query the PM why they are. If your noot happy with how they are managing the maintenance of your property, there are plenty other PM's that will.

Cheers,

Bretto

Be careful with the amount of money that they are allowed to spend on properties, reducing this amount actually impedes on the successful management of your property. I personally would not accept anything below $300 and definately would not take on a client that has written zero! The reason why is because that is setting the pm up for failiure from the begining. No it is not. why is it so hard for the PM to check that what they think should happen is ok with the owner ? All the PM has to do is make 1 phone call to the owner & then continue doing their job of organising the repair.
The other side of the story is if you do not trust your pm to make necessary repairs they cannot successfully manage your property, you might as well do it yourself. Hang on a second Mr/Ms PM, we don’t know each other yet - so how have you displayed your individual trustworthiness ?! Hello !!!! Of course I don’t know that I can trust you yet, this is a new relationship !! PROVE YOURSELF first, then you can have my trust.. If you are lucky (yes you have the choice of keeping / taking on my business or not)
We had a case recently where the landlord's were on holidays and so were the tenants, we received a call from neighbours saying that the property was broken into and when we attended there were broken windows and glass everywhere. We were able to quickly get everything repaired because we had a $500 authority from the landlord. Without this in place we would have had to leave the property as it is for 3 weeks until the landlord came back!
Why, didn't either the landlord nor the tenant give you any contact details which you could have called them on ?? Surely, when your firm takes on a client with a $0 authority for repair, you would make sure you record a contact number for them ? Do you not have a secondary contact for the owner in case of emergency etc ? Only if the owner AND his/her 2ndary contact were unavailable, would this have had to wait 3 weeks !!The tenants were gone overseas for 5 months and had paid rent in advance for the time, how angry would they have been if on their return nothing was done to rectify the problem for 3 weeks because we could not get hold of the landlord? If the tenant got back 5 months later, the repair would have been fixed & the only issue might have been if anything of theirs was stolen during the time it took to fix.. .which, as per the above, should not have been long anyway, you get the owner on the phone & get approval to fix the problem….

In our office we have a pile of maintenance issues ranging from non-working ovens to tears in fly screens, to loose steps on stair cases..... The reason why they are piling up and not done is because the landlord has put in a minimal amount with a "call me first" instruction. Our property managers set aside a time every day for maintenance and with these instructions they cannot send our maintenance people out on the jobs without the landlords approval first. Sometimes it takes 3 to 4 days for the approval from the landlord, sometimes a week sometimes a month! In the mean time, the tenant keeps ringing and we cannot legally do anything about it until the landlord has given us the go ahead according to the agreement. Most of these tenants are not happy then for lease renewals or putting the rent up and the landlord loses business for the sake of saving $300!!! And do you think that the landlords take the responsibility???? NO, the PM gets blamed!!! Depends who is talking to who doesn’t it.. If the owner is talking to the PM, the owner will blame the PM… If the PM is talking to the tenant, the PM will blame the owner…

New contracts with landlords coming into our office have a large amount and no "ring me" instructions we no longer take on clients who are not going to let us do our job!

I agree be fair to all clients and not demand fees that have not been warranted nor lock clients into contracts although they are not happy with the service. But let us do what we do best that is "manage the property" and ringing landlords every time a minor repair comes up is not managing a property correctly. Well, since many PM firms operate this way, it seems to be an accepted way of managing a property, what is considered "correct" can vary from person to person… As pointed out by others, prices can vary a lot & the higher price is not necessarily a better job - this is the risk we owners are trying to avoid - paying extra money for nothing -

In my agreements with my property managers I have a $1000 limit with an instruction to not call me just get it fixed. I have never had a problem in putting rent up or with disgruntled tenants and that's the way the business of property investing should be run!I have a $200 limit, and have had no problem raising rents, have had no complaints/requests and only 1 x late payment of rent (of 1 week) in the last 4 years either - so it appears to work both ways..

Last edited:
The other side of the story is if you do not trust your pm to make necessary repairs they cannot successfully manage your property, you might as well do it yourself. .............................

Yep, when it comes to repairs I'm happy to manage it myself. As far as I'm concerned I'm just paying a PM for the 'people management' side of things.

I dont know what the limit is for our PM to organise repairs themselves... but we've asked them to call me first regarding any repairs, as I will do any of the small things myself, and always within 1-2weeks.

Example: deadlock died on the back door. PM called me up, i went down there that night and checked it out (the beauty of investing in your home city). Went to Bunnings, spent $60 on a new deadlock, and fitted it that weekend.
Total Cost = $60 + $10 petrol
Quote from PM = $170

.. then there's things like tap washers, shelves in kitches, etc etc.

I rekon i've saved about $700 in DIY repairs in the past 2 years, on just the one property.

Back