How to grow a multi-million dollar portfolio on an average income

Discussion in 'Property Finance' started by Redom, 4th Mar, 2015.

1. glowplug

glowplug Member

What a fantastic read full of informationI I read a lot on these forums and want to start out on the investment property venture however I don't believe I'm ready just yet the wait continues. Thanks

2. james start

james start Member

So what is regarded as an average income? 70k?

3. euro73

euro73 Member

Someone taught you well, grasshopper!

Redom likes this.
  4. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker

Yep - can go well into the millions with a much lower income too, using the same principles outlined.

5. paisneil

paisneil Member

Media:
    I am certainly doomed then

Got NAB (Homeside) and Macquarie for 3 IPS and Westpac PPOR

No hope for me

6. Jamie M

Jamie M Mortgage Broker - Oz Wide

Nah - not at all.

There are quite a few other lenders similar to Mac and homeside that can be used up later on too.

From my experience - investors generally run out of equity/deposits before hitting a servicing wall.

Cheers

Jamie

7. Rixter

Rixter $uper Investor (Retired)

Media:
    Property investing / Portfolio building is not about property - its about finance!

Property is merely what banks take hold over as security for loaning you the finance in the first instance.

Structuring one self correctly so as to be in a position of being able to continually access it when ever you want is vital - whether it be for investment/business and/or lifestyle.

We built a multi-$million property portfolio spread across Australia on less than the average wage starting out in 2000 and with pay rises over the years worked up to the average, to finally exit the rat race last year.

Living proof it can be done.

Kudo's to you redom for your post. I tried to give kudo's but I was told I needed to spread the love around elsewhere. :(

Last edited: 5th Mar, 2015
    Redom likes this.
  8. sash

sash Member

Noice....add to this:

4. Diversify your portfolio not only suburbs in a city but also spread it across the country. Banks look at the risk attached to your portfolio when you get past 10...they don't want you holding all 10 in Mt Duie!

5. Balance the portfolio with yield and capital growth. A couple of years ago I started a thread on a the balanced approach...whilst yield is the petrol in the tank....the capital growth is the nitro which will help you build your portfolio quickly.

6. Be greedy when others are running from a market...and be fearful when others are greedy! Current Sydney investors take note!

7. Once you hit over 10 properties....look at buying newer properties...plan for the day when you get 100k in net income from properties. The depreciation from these will save you a fortune and help build further deposits.

8. Aim to have LOTS of cash in offsets...revalue and put into an offset. This will ensure that you navigate any issues comfortably.

9. Finally there is no reason someone starting today cannot get up to 20-30 properties in 15-20 years in capital cities. Buying on the back of Thargminda..will just give you headaches....

Redom and Rixter like this.
  9. Nem

Nem Member

Great post Redom, thank you!!!

10. datto

datto Member

Media:
    sydney, westie - middle class bogan (MCB)
    Sounds great but, yeah sorry about the but, what happens when there is no property boom and prices stagnate or fall. You then got to ride it out, could take years.

oc1 likes this.
  11. oc1

oc1 Developer

You then change the name of this thread to "how to grow a multi million dollar portfolio of debt". ;)

12. datto

datto Member

Media:
    sydney, westie - middle class bogan (MCB)
    Whoa....oc1.....I suppose if there is a cash buffer then some of that cash could be used in equities or other income producing activities but it will be gut wrenching.

13. Jamie M

Jamie M Mortgage Broker - Oz Wide

Rate hikes are another thing to consider too.

Lenders are basing their serviceability calculations on rates which are at an all time low.

For that reason - it's extremely important to assess your own household budget and work out what's actually affordable for you (based on a higher rate than what's on offer today) - rather than what AMP, Nab, Mac and the like are willing to lend.

It could be quite stressful having a lowish income, a mill or two in debt and seeing rates start to rise.

For that reason - a cash buffer is quite important too.

14. Rixter

Media:
    Yep, like any asset class for investment one should always be working towards maximising cash flows and minimising risks where & when ever possible.

15. Rixter

Media:
    By doing nothing, you're riding it out for more years to attain mediocrity any way.

16. Michael_X

Michael_X Member

Great post Redom! Forwarded this to a few friends already :)

Good to break this down, a real eye opener for investors starting out. It's amazing what the possibilities are with the right loan structure.

17. Mick C

Mick C Mortgage Broker

Kudos Redom!

Great post buddy, will def help a lot of investors understand the importance of loan structuring :)

Redom likes this.
  18. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker

Not at all mate, there's plenty of other ways to work it.

As I mentioned in the post, over time as investors grow their portfolio, they work themselves to your lenders anyway.

Perhaps get your broker to check your servicing with Westpac other middle tier lenders for your next deals - if it doesn't work, try and spread between some of the others that take actual repayments. With a few properties up your sleeve, you may still have those options available to you. If possible, i'd leave some firepower with Macquarie to be used down the track.

Cheers,
    Redom

19. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker

Haha quality line oc1.

20. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker

Great advice Rixter, completely agree with your first line (as its how I view my own investing).

Is there a Rixter interview available to read for the SS community? :) ;)

oc1 likes this.