How to select a good Listed Property Trust???

Hi Frank,

I decided not to bother trying to pick any LPT, or LPT fund manager! Good luck to all those who do though.

I prefer index funds or exchange traded fund's, generally speaking - though not necessarily the Australian LPT index at present - given the changing nature of the index, and also that I don't think it will perform as well in the next 5 years. I think you made a good move cashing out recently.

The other thing I like is private or public syndicated commercial property investments, but more so when investing with a self-managed superannuation fund.

GSJ

Trogdor,

Yes, I was just reading about this in an article called 'the relevance of the index'. Apparently in 2003 and 2004 there were a lot of mergers and consolidations amongst exisiting LPT's - there used to be smaller sized and more sector specific trusts, but now there are more bigger sized and diversified trusts.

In addition many on the LPT's are becoming 'stapled securities', meaning they are associated with a listed company, and hence part of their earnings comes from business income and has the associated risk/volatility of business, like Westfield, as you have mentioned. This aspect of LPT's is again unnattractive to me as I don't understand business much, or the various creative (non-rental) ways these LPT's are now using to generate income.

I really don't like to invest in anything I don't fully understand.

These bigger LPT's are, as you suggest, unlike what they may have been in the past - perhaps a lot simpler, straightforward, easier to understand, and basically predominantly making their money from the income/capital growth of direct property investments.

Due to their sheer size, these LPT's are essentially changing the nature of this LPT index. There is more and more of a 'sharemarket effect' on the LPT index. The reliability, security, risk and volatility profiles of LPT's may be very different in coming years.

Thanks for the tip - I will have a look at the PDS of APN Funds Management, and some of the index funds currently available...

GSJ
BUMP!

I just thought I'd bump this thread and this post above, given the recent hammerring Centro took on the silly sharemarket...

Part of the reason I gave up on trying to pick LPT's/LPT funds...

Well, in some ways I'm glad my builder took a bit of extra time finishing off my new house and that council dragged the chain because if it all went to plan I would have sold 3 months ago (as per plan) and possibly would have loaded up on something.

Not saying it would have been this , but you never know.

I think I have decided to take an offer (mind changes regularly) on my house.

A bit more than the number I originaly had as a sale price at start, but quite a bit less than the numbers others (more by the day) have theirs for sale for (that are'nt selling).

Lookers, let alone buyers, have been few and far between for the last couple of months as well, and who knows what the new year has in store. (Centro made my tummy more nervie)

Still, a pretty good earn for cutting a few cheques and better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Gotta be happy with that.

Lets me get back to more important things like building boats and getting to the land of 0.50c beer.

MMMmmmmmm Beer.

Dave

Back