How was 2012? - Whats planned for 2013

How was 2012 for you?
What do you have planned for 2013?

Let me start.
How was 2012 for you?
Not much happened for me. Properties in Melb. Valued at $2.6m. Loans now increased by $20k as the whole portfolio is negatively geared. No growth in properties. No renovations or rental increases. Interest rate decreases did ease the pressure somewhat.

Deciding whether to sell PPOR and build on a block with an old house, we purchased about 5 yrs ago. Kids both in high school this year and i reckon we need more space. Pull down house, build double storey with pool. Hopefully due for some rent increases over the next 12 months.

Ok I'll join in, first year I have written actual goals down.

Pretty good year in comparison to previous few. Added a granny flat to one prop, purchased another 3 properties (first time using a BA), overall portfolio has become slightly positive geared as opposed to $30k negative 18 months ago :)

Goals are to reach $15k positive geared accross my portfolio
Add another 4 positive geared properties.
Sell my business, continue its growth in profits while trying to sell.
Save and set aside $30k to cover the cost of moving and period of unemployment once business is sold.
One for my kids, be able to hand stand like the wiggles :)

Does it have to be property specific alone?
Year 2012
1. Published a journal in a good Economics journal (Economic Records)
2. Went to Singapore to stage wife's fine arts programme
3. Built a granny flat to produce dual income.
4. Moved 1 division up in tennis
5. Had a baby.
6. Moved simple partnership to trust (with company trustee) to reduce liability.
7. Reviewed all sort of insurance (health, death, income protection, trauma & landlord) and set them appropriately.
8. Finished Masters thesis.
9. Survived major restructure at work.

Year 2013
1. Try to buy an IP interstate.
2. Get into shares a bit more.
3. Try to find a better paying but suitable job
4. Maintain current level of health
5. Sleep more

Last edited:
Interesting

These type of threads were quite popular in the past.

It seems to me that maybe people are quite pessimistic about the short term future. In the past people were quite forthcoming in what they wanted to achieve in the new year and were prepared to share what they achieved or did in the previous year.

Anyone else.

Hi Toony. I obviously need to spend less time on Somersoft and get myself a life.

Repainted inside and outside of PPOR, mostly by myself
Downsized Mother from a large overgrown block to a flat villa with excellent capital growth potential
gained some weight (oops)
Visited rellies in Melbourne and met cousins I hadn't seen for more than 30 years.
Bought a cash flow positive house in Gladstone
Attended course on developing suburban blocks in Brisbane

I currently have WordPress open, looking at the various templates so Hubby and I can get started on the online business Steve McKnight and his friend Derek were spruiking a few months ago. It's a start (tick)

I have made a reluctant decision to move all our belongings out of the house this year and get the timber floor sanded and renewed. We have been here since 1988 and there is so much furniture to move, but one must grit one's teeth and bear it. I'm thinking June school holidays.

I want to go on another road trip on the motorbike before our bodies totally cark it. I'm thinking the Flinders Ranges in South Australia in September, if there is any $$ left after reno-ing our house.

Get PPOR revalued, draw more equity and buy another property. Sell the under-performing townhouse if possible. Any takers? It's a two minute walk to the waterfront.

Last edited:
How was 2012 for you?

Interesting year attemtping to Live off rent (LOR).

Mostly ok, but we are slightly over on expenditure and under on rental income due to:

3 of 4 IP's vacant at various times (and associated "refresh" - repaint, recarpet etc)

Overseas trip

Hopefully another trip overseas. Was going to go overseas at New Year, but realised how high plane tickets can go in holiday season!

Building up more "reserves" while work money is coming in - probably buying more gold.

Repair projects on the PPOR (underway!)

The Y-man

I'll be in

1. Hubby retrenched for first time in 32 years, so tasty payout
2. Fortunately quickly got new job in new location
3. Sold PPOR (sob) and moved to rental
4. Bought 10 acres of land on which to build
5. "Discussed" new house design with hubby and draftie - some up with something brilliant
6. Bought horse
7. Bought country house to live in while we build so moved again
8. Decided to look at more acres with houses already on them and (darn) found one
9. Sold units in Merewether for tasty profit
10. Renovated and put country house on the market

1. Settle on 27 acres (next week) and move AGAIN
2. Sell both 10 acre block and country house and be PPOR mortgage free
3. Renovate house on 27 acres
4. Plant some test crops for a particular product
5. Build 3 studio cottages for luxury tourist accomodation and get them running
6. Landscape extensively, buy ride on mower etc
7. Lose some weight
8. ... a zillion other things I have no clue about yet

• started a new Job in the mines (much more enjoyable than my last job)
• spent 15k renovating Gladstone IP, got it revalued 50k higher
• released equity from Gladstone property and purchased unit in Penrith.

• currently putting new carpet, vanity and tapware in unit
• hoping to revalue unit and purchase IP number 3, looking at a Reno project that I can add value too and recycle equity quickly.
• going to Europe in the middle of the year for a month with the girlfriend

How was 2012 for you?

I love threads like this :)

How was 2012 for you?

AWESOME year!
Changed to full time employment from part-time, part-time developer, part-time nursemaid (DH had 3 back surgeries). Trained and ran my first ever City to Surf (12kms), took our first family holiday and realised that we'd probably been giving up a little too much and that spending money on us was ok.
Our youngest started school - grateful she got a rare spot at an awesome school for kids with significant speech impairment . DS6 and DS13 had good years.

IP Stuff
2012 saw me earn my L plates for development. I demolished a house in 2011 and built 3 villas which were completed in April 2012. I was then firmly addicted.
In July 2012 I purchased a 1224sqm quad block and started the wheels in motion for building 4 villas on it. At the end of December DA approval for the 4.
In December 2012 I purchased a 249sqm high density block which will have 3 apartments built on it.

MASSIVE year to come!
A very ambitious year which will keep me on my toes. 2 family holidays plus a 10th wedding anniversary trip (trying to keep it a surprise from DH).
I want to beat my City to Surf time and keep getting fitter.
Have an awesome year of work
Our youngest will repeat a year at school but go mainstream 4 days + 1 day at Telethon Speech and Hearing school.

IP Stuff
January should see the pads go down for the Quad villas and they should be completed by the end of the year

January we will start planning the apartment block and seek construction loan for it. Then onto Council for DA approval which will take who knows how long.

Last edited:
- Spent ~$15k on performance mods for car
- Negotiated a good pay rise
- Purchased investment property in Elizabeth East SA, +ve geared
- Holiday in Bali for 11 days
- Lost Premier League Hockey grand final by 1 goal in last 5mins of game
- Purchased investment property in Bathurst NSW, neutral
- Finished off the year with good results for work
- Looking to start 'Bachelor of Finance or Commerce' part-time @ University of Adelaide
- Purchase investment property in Wagga Wagga, +ve geared
- Purchase investment property in Christies Beach/Downs, neutral (maybe +ve)
- Either negotiate another good pay rise or look for promotion
- Continue to perform well at work
- Hopefully another Hockey grand final (would be 5th in a row that ive made)

Major renovation on our IP - it is now +ve geared.
This rollercoaster experience was the catalyst for a review of where we are at in the game of life and where do we want to be. Learning from past decisions / mistakes.
I came across this forum and have learned so much from people on here.
An attitude change from going through the motions of daily life to being excited and positive about the future (A family O/S trip is on the cards in 2018)
Lost 18kg

My first born starts school
Returning to work after family leave
Will buy another IP and a 2nd if possible
Lose 15kg and increase fitness
Finish my Masters
Decide / plan on when to undertake needed repairs on our other IP.

I'll play!

Bought my first IP in Perth (geared negatively - but I'm comfortable with that)
Dabbled in the stock market
Visited relatives & toured Europe for 5 weeks
Lost 12kg of body weight
Got a long awaited pay raise at work

Pay off debt for the first half of the year
Buy another (cheaper!) IP in the second half of the year. Hopefully +ve geared, but its not a must have - likely to be either Adelaide or Perth again.
Double my exposure to the stock market (Blue chip & indexed funds probably)
Complete a marathon this year (unsure how competitive I will be at this stage)
Holiday to the Czech Republic (maybe!)

Nothing particularly aggressive in my goals for this year - steady steady as I am still young (kinda!)

Gave up work
Sold 1 IP in Naracoorte
Bought 4900sm house and land
Sub divided house off onto 1000sm
Sub divided 3900 sm into 5 community title lots
Fought with council for 6 months re above
bought a semi duplex in Murray Bridge
Bought a house/land package Mt Barker

Offer accepted semi duplex in ?????????????????
Need to rest more
spend more time with kids
Business plan is 2 more duplexes under trust
Learn to type and spell better
May buy another sandman ute

Last edited:
I love threads like this :)

So do I. I really like to read what people have achieved in the past year and what they hope to do in the next 12 months. There have been some good ones in the past. I think property investing is going to be tougher in the next few years. It easy, if prices keep going up, but thats not really happening now. I also like to hear what some of the veteran older property investors are doing or have done?

Fourth year of Living Off Rent - yes it works.
Volunteered my time for a community pursuit

Attempting to get into a position where my opinion counts a little more

Back