How will tax deductions on IP work for overseas expat

Hi all, I'm an Aussie who lives and works in the Middle East and new to owning an IP in Australia (soon I hope). As I do not pay any taxes in Australia is there a way I can claim for any expenses or tax deducations on my IP either in bulk when/if I move back and start working again in Australia (whenever that will be) or can i claim these as expences to reduce my capital gains tax if I sell the place in a few years?

I know can use part of the expences to reduce the tax payable on the property's rental income, but tax on this IP will be negligable. What about the rest of the expenses?

Negative gearing does not work that well if you are not paying tax so i hope someone can help me.

thanks

Craig

Your best bet is to talk to your accountant. Several factors at play like tax residency, current Australian passive income & the amount of overseas tax you are paying.

I'm not sure if you can defer property losses. Pretty sure you can't offset this against CGT either.

I'm in the same situation, so I think finding property that is more neutrally geared is a better option and I'm also trying to create other income via shares/CFD's etc that I can then offset the property loss against.

Hope you have positioned yourself such that you truly are no longer a tax resident for Australian tax purposes I.e factors such as no bank accounts here, sold your home if you had one when you left, wife not here, kids not here, etc as section 23AG changed recently and most expats working overseas are now taxed on that income overseas if they are residents for tax purposes.

I pay zero tax in Qatar. I checked with my accountant friend in OZ who said as long as I remain out of the country for 183 days a year, according to the ATO I remain a non resident for tax purposes & pay no tax. I'm never back that long so no problems. He was not sure about deductions on IPs, but he was going to check with a friend of his that knows.

Craig,

I would double check that advice. Talk to a qualified accountant, it's not as simple as being out of the country 183 days.

The 183 day rule test is only ONE of the determining tests.

The terms resident and resident of Australia, in regard to an individual, are defined in subsection 6(1) of the ITAA 1936. The definition provides four tests to ascertain whether a taxpayer is a resident of Australia for income tax purposes. These tests are:

1. the resides test
2. the domicile test
3. the 183 day test
4. the superannuation test.

The primary test for deciding the residency status of an individual is whether the individual resides in Australia according to the ordinary meaning of the word resides. If the primary test is satisfied the remaining three tests do not need to be considered as residency for Australian tax purposes has been established.

The one that usually gets people is the domicile test. If a person is considered to have their domicile in Australia they will be considered an Australian resident unless the Commissioner is satisfied they have a permanent place of abode outside of Australia.

In order to show that a new domicile of choice in a country outside Australia has been adopted, the person must be able prove an intention to make his or her home indefinitely in that country (section 10 of the Domicile Act 1982).

Thus, a person with an Australian domicile but living outside Australia will retain that domicile if he or she intends to return to Australia on a clearly foreseen and reasonably anticipated contingency for example, the end of his or her employment.

If you intend to return to Australia at the end of your employment and the ATO has evidence of such e.g. retained bank accounts here, family here who you visit, what do you tick on your outgoing departure card, have you removed yourself from the electoral role, etc ?

The 183 day rule test is but ONE test the domicile test is far more important. Anyway get a private ruling because if your friend is wrong the penalties and interest are high. I am sorry to say but in my opinion your friend has provided incomplete advice or advice based on a set of incomplete facts.

I agree, it is a difficult area, but I'm sure I'm fine. I hold several investment properties outside of Australia, but none in Australia, my super is paid into the Caymans, limited trips to Australia in 10yrs & a wife who is British & 2 children who are British & Australian passport holders, but have not lived in Australia. I hold a bank account in Australia, but it is not the primary account.

I think it would be hard for the ATO prove that the intention was always to move back when half my working career has been located outside Australia. My friend took this into account when making his assessment.

Back