Hunters Hill/lane cove vs carss park vs kogarah bay

Please rate the following areas for capital growth for houses and also peace and quiet .Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. The purchase would be as an owner occupier but I'm also thinking of long term capital growth (eg 10 yrs). Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. Basically , I'm looking for a quiet area that is in syd with good capital growth. Suitability for middle aged / older people would be an added bonus .

Please rate the following areas for capital growth for houses
This part is relatively easy. See the attached CG chart for the last 15 years. It shows that, if you were making this decision 15 years ago and only looking for growth, then you should have purchased in Lane Cove. In second place was Kogarah Bay, followed by Hunters Hill. Carss Park was the worst performer out of the 4.

As to what happens over the next 10-15 years is anybody's guess.

....and also peace and quiet
There are plenty of quiet spots in Lane Cove. I suspect there are both quiet and noisy spots in all these suburbs. It will come down to doing your due dilliegnce at a street level.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Comp15yrsCG.jpg
    Comp15yrsCG.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 225
I'm biased but I prefer Lane Cove from this list :D It will depend on your budget, however. Decent houses start from low $1m range with the majority selling in the $1.1-1.6m price bracket. Current median house price approx $1.2m. Leafy streets, character homes, great village centre, easy proximity to transport (buses) and cbd. On the northside of LC you can also back onto the reserve or golf course and not even feel like you're in "suburbia".

Hunters Hill is also lovely (especially the water views from the peninsula) and it will come down to individual tastes and needs. Best of luck!

For houses, I would pick Hunters Hill over Lane Cove. I suspect LC houses have experienced greater growth over the years due to them having somewhat lower price to start with. LC is traditionally the cheapest lower north shore suburb and as people become priced out of the surrounding surburbs and inner west, demand and price in LC houses haves increased.

Objectively, HH is probably considered a bit more prestigious and exclusive. Lower density, as it has much less number of units and apartments. Bound by water. If you're buying on Cope St side of Lane Cove rather than the village side, public transport times into the city will be comparable to Hunters Hill. When LC house prices edge closer to HH, I suspect people will find HH houses more desirable.

My 2c.

If buying in Hunters Hill, be mindful of the nuclear / radioactive areas + potential radius

Quite a lot of residents have contracted non-hereditary cancers from living in the area

If buying in Hunters Hill, be mindful of the nuclear / radioactive areas + potential radius

Quite a lot of residents have contracted non-hereditary cancers from living in the area

Has only affected the residents who lived on the blocks which were used for watch making supplies.

If you could afford to buy in that street (waterfront), lucky you.

Just having a squiz over the graph, KB looks like it has pipped the NS for cap growth over the period from around $375k to over $800k whereas HH & LC started much higher and achieved over 100% during the same timeframe. CP was a dud.

Parts of HH & LC are affected by aircraft noise however they are in a direct line to the airport and only a few km from the city.

Back