Hybrid Real Estate Game - first impressions

Hi,

I had the pleasure of playing Hybrid's Real Estate Game (see http://www.hpc.co.nz/ and https://secure.webenz.co.nz/hpc/board_game.php) for the first time on Sunday with Gazza, Geoffw (& lovely partner), Pedro (& lovely partner) & Jas (as my lovely partner).

Here are my first impressions of the game.

Mechanics
The game is a looping track board game with a property clock (with a plastic hand which can be moved). The clock is broken into three sections, a Slump (1-7), Recovery (7-10) and Boom (10-1). For each section on the clock there are sets of event and opportunity cards, colour coded to make it easy to know which to pick.

Every player gets a job card telling them their profession, income, tax bracket, credit card limit & their goals. The goals always include both equity & passive income targets, for example, Jas & I were a Lawyer & had the goal of amassing $1.2M in equity (not real estate) and a passive income of $108K. The job paid $30K and we had a credit card limit of $18K.

The other players had cards with less income & correspondingly lower targets.

Every player also got a record sheet where you must record every event, buying property, paying or drawing from a mortgage, using/paying a credit card, changes in rental yield (passive income) and so on.

If you use your credit card you are charged 20% interest which immediately comes off your income until the amount is repaid. You can also 'borrow' money from your available equity (up to 90% LVR), increasing your mortgage, and every $10K borrowed reduces your passive income by $1K....if you repay your mortgage for every $10K you get an extra $1K in passive income.

Gameplay
Gameplay is straightforward, roll one die, move that number of squares & pick a card or take an action based on what is written on the square.

There is one payday on the track and one 'passive income day', where you get paid your totals. You must ask for your pay like Cashflow (who would work in a job where you had to request your pay anyway?)

The property clock starts at 11 o'clock (halfway through the boom) and moves clockwise according to Event cards).

Some squares have negative effects, such as the holiday - which cost money (% of income based on your tax bracket) and have you miss a turn (Pedro scored three holidays the 'lucky' bugger), and some possitive, such as seeing a financial advisor & having your rental return (passive income) increase by 10%. Most require you to draw a card from the opportunity, event or wild piles appropriate for the section of the property clock.

The opportunities are all property, and generally you buy properties under their value in Slumps & Recoveries, but at or over value in a Boom. You must pay a deposit, commonly 10 or 20% and legal fees - all detailed on the card. You can pay more deposit if you want to figure out the details. You receive passive income from all properties, sometimes varying based on your tax bracket to reflect the additional benefit of negative gearing if you have a high income.

Events generally move the property clock forwards 1/2 an hour (never backwards!) and Wild cards have random good & bad events affecting everyone - such as having to immediately pay 2% of your mortgages, or getting a tax rebate. We pulled more bad events than good, but 'm not sure of the balance.

The property clock also affects play - at certain 'times' on the clock real estate values and passive income change. In a Slump they decrease, and in a Recovery & Boom they increase. This affects all the property you own. In net I calculated that around the clock once, property prices increase by 6% - however with Slumps reducing property values by 10% then 15% you have to be careful not to go bankrupt.

The game mandates that you must at all times have at least 10% equity in your portfolio or be forced into a mortgagee auction & bankrupcy - a real challenge at the peak of the slump!

During the game you buy property, collect income & passive cashflow & try to reach your goal targets, while the property clock moves. We completed a full cycle of the clock in about 3 hours and Geoffw & partner & Jas & I were about halfway towards our goals with the others further behind (reasons for this later). Jas & I had 10 properties, Geoff about 6 and the others 1-2 a piece (from memory).

General Impressions
Jas commented that playing the game wasn't like playing a game - it was just like really buying real estate!

After playing the game once and not exploring all the possibilities - such as a mortgagee auction or effects of several times round the clock, my general impression is that this is a fairly accurate reflection of the property cycle & learning to play this game would be a huge benefit to people new to property investing.

However, the game is not very forgiving & rules lawyers will have a field day inventing strategies to maximise your return......possibly also like real property investing :)

The game requires a huge amount of accounting and one of the key reasons Geoffw & partner & Jas & I did better than Pedro & Gazza was because we were playing in teams while Pedro & Gazza were playing individually. You really need two people per team to manage all the accounting and decision-making in the game and it showed!!!

You do need to be good with statistics & I'd recommend a calculator per team (the game doesn't come with calculators).

As an experienced investor the game didn't really teach me anything, and I lost interest in the gameplay after 3/4 round the property clock. Jas & I had worked out the gameplay and had our strategy mapped out & basically just had to repeat it to achieve our goal. Essentially if you buy property which reduces your LVR (increases your ratio of equity to loans) wherever possible you will not go bankrupt, barring some really bad card draws.

The board itself was a little annoying due to the 'distraction track' where you can basically do nothing & miss out on your passive income......Jas & I got caught on it twice & everyone else got caught once. The track is about 20 squares long, no events or opportunities, and if you kept rolling 1s on the die you could miss out on half the game - not fun or fair I think.

I'd also like to see the property clock starting at 5-6 o'clock (towards the end of the slump) as most experienced property investors begin buying hereish. Knowing what is ahead on the property clock does make it much easier to plan for the Slump & decide the most strategic times to buy property (provided you get the opportunity to do so!).

Finally, the game seems well suited for NZ and AU property markets. I could not speak for it's relative value for people in other markets with different legal, economic & cultural frameworks.

In Brief (in my humble opinion)
Gameplay is too slow & tedious to hold the interest of any but the most anal rules-lawyers for long enough to complete the game.

It is worth playing at least once for 3-4 hours to help internalise your ability to buy property by the numbers, particularly if you are new to property investing. Come mentally prepared. If you are hung over or tired you would probably not cope with the gameplay.

There is limited replay value - this, unlike Cashflow - is not a game you really would want to pick up & play for enjoyment & to try new strategies every few weeks.

However, I would like to play the game again when in the right mindset to spend a day playing to crystalise my strategies....so maybe you'd play the game a few times a year.

I expect that players who have played the game a few times would be able to move through it much faster & enjoyably, however there is still a LOT of accounting to do, which does slow things down.

Overall
overall I felt the game is good if very complex…but the complexity may be needed to really give people a feel for property investing.

I'm happy to answer further questions.

Anyone have their own impressions of the game?

Disclaimer: I did have a brief conversation with Hybrid via email about the prospect of distributing the game in Australia. They are looking for an established distributor of edutainment/investment resources instead.

I don't believe I am biased either for or against the game because of these discussions (the talks were not very detailed & I'd have wanted to review the game anyway before moving to any distribution agreement), but thought everyone should know of these discussions just in case. Draw your own conclusions :)

I have no financial interest in the company & have told them that I placed this review

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Last edited:
Anyone have their own impressions of the game?

Jeez ! :eek: - Don't you have a job Acey ?

NOPE - I think that'll just about cover it.

About the only other thing I think was that if they would increase the number of pays days and Passive cashflow days per cycle to 2 each, the game would move much faster and probably not bog you down so much.

I guess that would be true of "life" as well :D

Good summary Acey

Pedro

It was an interesting game, and I enjoyed playing it.

I was interested (after playing it at home through a limited part of the cycle) to see how it panned out.

For me, MrsW was the person who received the greated benefit out of it. I've been the dealmaker generally- but this helped make her much more aware of where I'd been trying to go.

It is certainly a game which can help newbies know about the real estate game generally. It is highly recommended for people coming into the field- or for people who are partners with people who understand more

One annoyance before the game started (in our earlier experimental game) was that the cash in the game was on glossy paper, which made it harder to handle. For the game, we used CashFlow notes as they were easier to handle.

There were a few things which could have been improved by a changing of rules (without changing the board).

.Payday was an long way away. If you didn't have the money, you were stuck for a while. This may reflect real life- but perhaps having a payday two times per cycle (half pay each one) might be a little more like real life
.Distraction lane completely bypassing Passive Cashflow- YUCK!. Oops, it's real life. I forgot to ask my PM for the rent. That doesn't mean I don't get the rent! New rule- ditraction lane keeps you out of the circle- but lands you back where you entered, and P?C decreases by 10%
.Low paying jobs suck big time. In Cashflow, a low paying job has some equalising factors, but here it just penalises. Maybe increasing the pay frequency, but decreasing the pay amount, may help.

BIG TIME SUX! No chance in the rules to sell existing stocks. I think there will be a few rules to be included the next time we play to allow for selling. (Though the ability to both keep, and borrow against, properties at 90% LVR, is both unrealistic, and also limits the usefulness of selling as a strategy)

I gather it is a NZ game because every single property you buy is Cashflow positive. Not quite reflective of Australian conditions.

I did see somewhere that there is an online version. I would like to see how that goes.

qazwsx,

It is cheaper, but not by much - around $200AU + postage (see the site).

is it better?

Cashflow is easier to grasp, plays faster & is more entertaining.

But Hybrid's game will teach you more about Real Estate

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Thanks for the in-depth feedback.

Its good to hear you playing in teams of two, as this can add a new dimension to the game when you see the different decision making processes within the team. However the game was designed for single players of up to four and will usually be played faster this way. The numbers are all fairly basic (i.e. passive cashflow, Equity, LVR – Loan to Value Ratio) and critical to anyone serious about property investment.

The first thing to keep in mind with this game is that it is designed to purely teach the “BUY AND HOLD” strategy of property investment i.e. not quick flicks, wrapping, timeshares, trading etc,etc,etc. The reason the game starts in the boom (i.e 11 o’clock) is because that's when many investors will first start in real life. This is because property becomes trendy as it looks so easy as the market lifts through the recovery phase and enters the boom phase.

Interesting to see your comment that you had “worked out the gameplay”. Because when you play it several times with the different jobs with their different financial circumstances you will understand that one "gameplay" does not fit all. And you will see the need to use different strategies to win the game. (Just like in real life we cannot all use the same strategies and get the same results as we all have different resources and different opportunities presented to us). This is why taking your neighbours advice has a negative influence on your position in the game (like so often in real life too).

Distraction lane reflects the possible financial cost of getting off track with your BUY and HOLD investment strategies in real life. Many property investors on the BUY AND HOLD strategy get distracted by other property related strategies which often end with a negative financial (and opportunity cost) influence. That is what distraction lane delivers to players. Yes it’s a bad place to be but why do so many investors in real life go down this track (I have seen literally thousands of people who have!) An example of this could be Wrapping because it looks like a quick way to achieve your goals or because the sales pitch was great. (I have personally met hundreds of successful BUY and HOLD property investors i.e. retired on their property portfolio efforts - but not 1 successful wrapper i.e. retired on their wrapping efforts , although I have heard of a few like John Burley).

Remember this game is heavily focused on teaching the BUY and HOLD strategy that ANYONE in ANY OCCUPATION can use to win as a property investor.

One trip around the board is equal to one year in time, hence one annual payment of wages less expenses is made to each player. It's important to remember that we all have limited resource so we should spend it wisely. In real life we all wish we could get paid more and therefore buy more property quicker but life is not that simple and the game does teach you that ”property investment is not a sprint but a marathon”. If you run out of cash you can borrow against your credit card or spare equity in your portfolio. If you don't have any spare equity you should have a good think about why not.

There is also a common misconception that the low paying jobs such as the cleaner are at a disadvantage. This could not be further from the truth. The cleaner can easily, and often does win the game. It's up to the players to figure out how each job requires slightly different strategies to win and what they are. Once you've done this, you wont care what job you draw. (You would have also learnt some incredibly valuable lessons)

No you can not sell any property in this game. This game is purpose designed to teach people how to build a portfolio without any option to sell. In real life if you have to sell to get yourself out of pending trouble then you never learned the basics of investing in the first place (i.e. buying the right properties based on your financial circumstances).If you just want to buy low and sell high, your not investing, your trading. So it's back to Distraction Lane.

At first the game may seem a little slow as people learn the ropes (much like real life) but as your experience grows as well as the people you're playing with, you'll find the game becomes quite fast and furious. It's not uncommon for experienced players to finish within about an hour and a half.

Yes there is alot of accounting to this game and there should probably be more! Property Investing is all about the numbers, the actual property is merely the vehicle.

To compare this game to Cashflow is like comparing an apple to an orange. They are completely different textures and flavours but both fruit. They both deliver different experiences and yes some people like oranges more than apples and vice versa so you may prefer one game or the other.

Whilst you may find more “entertainment” value in Cashflow playing Hybrid Real Estate offers much more value about Buy and Hold property investing.

Hybrid Real Estate is purely focused on property investment as a long term buy and hold strategy and whilst you may find it sometimes complex so is real life investing over the long term in my experience. If one size (or strategy) does actually fit all with property investment then we are all doomed to ultimate failure because once the masses use the same strategy it will surely no longer work!

We do appreciate your feedback and hope this reply puts a better perspective on the idiosyncracies of the Hybrid Real Estate game.

Back