I cannot rent out my first home after 6 month bought it ?

Um, no, she presented it that way, but looking back on her posts, she knew they wouldn't be living in the property prior to purchase, but nonetheless lodged a fraudulent claim for the FHOG and stamp duty concessions knowing that she wasn't entitled to them.

That's a bit different.

Agree. With a genuine "situation changed" I understand the OSR can be 'lenient', but with what snowwhite has previously documented, it would be disingenuous (to be extremely generous) or fraudulent (worst case) to claim the concessions.

I donot like you guys says that I am intend to break the rules.I was not counted when people builded the rules ,and there ARE many stupid rules in the world .
When I bought the house ,all I know is that we have to live for half year.My mistake that I didnot study well about the rules .
And we could not live in our own house ,we have been paying our rent for 400 per week in one city ,another hand ,we are paying $2200 per month to the bank to keep our house for the pest.No matter where are you working ,house is not something you can carry with you .
What a wonderful rule.

I donot like you guys says that I am intend to break the rules.I was not counted when people builded the rules ,and there ARE many stupid rules in the world .
When I bought the house ,all I know is that we have to live for half year.My mistake that I didnot study well about the rules .
And we could not live in our own house ,we have been paying our rent for 400 per week in one city ,another hand ,we are paying $2200 per month to the bank to keep our house for the pest.No matter where are you working ,house is not something you can carry with you .
What a wonderful rule.

you might not like the rules, but they are the rules, you should abide by them. perhaps if you wanted to break them you should have studied them more carefully.

I'm usually very sympathetic and easy going. but I have no sympathy for you. you intentionally wanted to break the rules.

• when you purchased the qld place you had no intention to live there - the fhog requirement is to live there for 6 months. you had no intention of living there. repay the fhog. don't try to wriggle you've posted otherwise.
  • similar for the stamp duty concessions.

what you paid in rent and mortgage payments is irrelevant. pay back the fhog and notify the osr that you need to pay appropriate stamp duty. to do anything less would risk someone here dobbing you in.

Just paid back the FHBG and the tax and treat that property as your investment property. You still eligible for the FHBG and tax concession for other PPOR. That is not a big deal.

But you knew you wouldn't be living there for half a year. The fact that you left it empty to try and manufacture false evidence to support your fraud doesn't change the fact that you were attempting to commit fraud. The only thing you seem to be complaining about is that you're bad at it and are going to be caught!

You obviously see it important to pont out what you think of the situation and the person Perp.

You seem very worked up about it :)

You obviously see it important to pont out what you think of the situation and the person Perp.

You seem very worked up about it :)
Nah, she just seems clueless that she's done anything dubious.

Takes a lot more than that to get me worked up. :) And I talk too much. :D And I'm stuck in bed with my laptop sick. :(

snowwhite, reading back on some of your previous posts, I'm not feeling sympathetic.

You explicitly state in this thread of 5th August 2010, which I can only assume relates to the property in question:

Thus you always intended for this property to be an investment, and knew prior to settlement that you wouldn't be living in it. On this basis, you weren't entitled to either the stamp duty concession, or the FHOG.

As you've attempted to defraud your fellow taxpayers, I hope that you have to repay both, with penalties.

Perp, you are a super sleuth! I suggest you get a job with the tax office. The state are short of funds at the moment and could do with your help. :)

Perp, you are a super sleuth!
LOL

I want to make it clear that I don't go looking around trying to trip people up. :D I just happened to recall snowwhite asking for help with a purchase a few months ago, and had it in my mind that she'd asked about an IP rather than PPOR... so I went and had a look to see why I'd had that impression. :)

Altough I donot like the rules,I have never broke the rules.I left my house empty ,as I am not working there,could not living in my home ,but I have all my address there still ,and no one lives there expect me,I called ORS,and they said it's ok as long as I donot give to someone else ,and that is the only property I have,so I have my right to keep for myself only .
And I decide to leave it for another half year .;)

Altough I donot like the rules,I have never broke the rules.I left my house empty ,as I am not working there,could not living in my home ,but I have all my address there still ,and no one lives there expect me,I called ORS,and they said it's ok as long as I donot give to someone else ,and that is the only property I have,so I have my right to keep for myself only .
And I decide to leave it for another half year .;)
You are breaking the rules. You're trying to make it appear that you're residing there, when you're not. You believe that leaving the property empty will avoid your fraud being detected - which it may - but that doesn't mean that you're abiding by the rules. :rolleyes:

Ah, forget it - it's like talking to a canteloupe.

Even if the OSR told her differently Perp as she told us they did ?

Why are you so annoyed about this that you insult the person by calling them dumb as a piece of fruit ? If she has broken the law, she'll obviously ahe to pay it back, what are you so worried about ?

Dunno, someone else said it's been narky in here ltely, not just me who's feeling it...

Ignoring the legal implications, I think you're financially crazy.

Leaving a house deliberately empty for a year - when you knew you're not going to live there - sounds insane. Especially when you're going to have huge issues pretending you really live there. Are you leaving the lights burning and a tap running so you have water/electricity bills to show if you are asked for proof that you were living there for a year? They really do ask for that kind of thing. And if you do, that's more money on your expenses column.

Done the sums of FHOG + stamp duty concession vs rent and deductable expenses to see how much you are really 'saving'?

I'm in the situation myself where I have the choice of leaving a house empty for the hope of selling it through an agent (houses don't sell fast in regionals) or just putting it straight up for rent, and $200+ a week income with deductables is very appealing vs $500 a month + expenses of just money going out for nothing. Real dead money.

Also insurance excesses go through the roof when a house is empty for more than 3 months, depending on your insurance company. The one we are with raises the excess to $2000 after 3 months vacant.

Even if the OSR told her differently Perp as she told us they did ?

Why are you so annoyed about this that you insult the person by calling them dumb as a piece of fruit ? If she has broken the law, she'll obviously ahe to pay it back, what are you so worried about ?

Dunno, someone else said it's been narky in here ltely, not just me who's feeling it...

Perp's correct 100%. Whole concept of FHOG was to help first home buyers acquire a home not help investors get into property.

Who knows what was told to the OSR to get the answers Snowwhite received. And R. Elf is correct - they do use electrical/gas/water bills to figure out if someone is actually living there.

Pffft - get cross thinking about tax dollars spent on people intent on bending the rules. :mad:

You are breaking the rules. You're trying to make it appear that you're residing there, when you're not. You believe that leaving the property empty will avoid your fraud being detected - which it may - but that doesn't mean that you're abiding by the rules. :rolleyes:

Ah, forget it - it's like talking to a canteloupe.

the wording on the qld osr site is a bit grey.

clearly, you need to live in a place for six months to get the fhog. snow white clearly never intended that and hasn't qualified for it and should pay back the grant.

the duty concessions are a bit less clear.

snow white - are you going to apply as a first home owner in wa, perhaps in your partners name? if so, i suggest you read the rules more clearly.

I had a friend that bought an apartment and claim FHBG and tax concession few years ago and move in for about a year and then move back to her parent home and rent the property out. I told her why moving so much and she said to me that she can claim benefit. I think shouldn't have this rule at all or make the rule a bit tighter. But i guess without FH buyer, houses price at new development area or outer suburb wouldn't go up so much.

I had a friend that bought an apartment and claim FHBG and tax concession few years ago and move in for about a year and then move back to her parent home and rent the property out. I told her why moving so much and she said to me that she can claim benefit. I think shouldn't have this rule at all or make the rule a bit tighter. But i guess without FH buyer, houses price at new development area or outer suburb wouldn't go up so much.

But that is OK.

Sure they have to move a couple of times but if the government makes stupid policy I certainly take no issue in people using said regulation to their advantage.

the government is the problem and why taxes should be universal and subsidies same. Having grants, subsidies tax benifits etc all just make our system complex and allows for this kind of stupidity.

The issue is if you don't even live in, or intend to live in it whether the regulation considers this a first home sale at all or an investment?

Given that some have had to pay back grants for legitamate changes in circumstances like being sent to war 3 months in etc to fight for Australia I cannot see how not living there ever or at all would get over the line as a legitamate first home purchase. Stranger things have happened when it comes to government policy though...

The worst part is that she live more at her parent home than the apartment that she bought. She said she work near to her parent house and her mum can do all the cooking and laundry for her. What i recall when i went to her apartment is that she only have a couch and bed, of course some of her cloth.

So long as people comply with the law then there is nothing wrong with that.

Many people have used the FHOG and reduced stamp duty correctly, by living in the property for 12months then renting it out.

Pretty, if your friend could move back home and get her mum to do all her cooking and cleaning, then why wouldn't she?

Hmmmm, now I know why MY kids never moved back....
Marg

Back