I can't find the map!!

I have looked ( yes done searches ) but still cant work out how to own 1 if not more IP if they are not Neutral or +ve geared.

How do you all do it?

I realise that there is no one way to do this but our situation cant be different that everyone here???

We have a PPOR that has about $500+ equity but we are CF poor and we cant afford to cop a loss of 1000 a month. If I was to buy a property at say $300 000 and rent it out for 300 a wk it leaves me with a loss of nearly 1000 a month. Now I can draw down that loss from my LOC but that cant go on for more than a year or so and I think it would take about 5 years at least for the rent to catch up with the interest.

I have just signed and gone uncond on a large block 20 km from city centre with a run down house - I plan to sub block, flick land, reno house and sell house make about $100 000. Then go buy a property that I can afford to keep - I hope?

Is this the only way forward for me? Is there another?

Thanks all !!!

If you're convinced that the negative gearing thing is for you, then perhaps look at submitting a PAYGW variation to get the tax benefits back in your paycheque instead of at year-end. That could help cashflow somewhat (and even make a negatively geared property into a cashflow positive one, in some cases), particularly if there is high depreciation available.

A question for you, now; how long will it take you to make the $100k on the deal you've got going at the moment? If you can make that sort of coin in a reasonable amount of time, maybe it's worth doing more of that kind of deal, instead of buying something that's going to cost you money, instead...?

When i started, i made a loss every month. But the loss was halved as i recieved a big tax refund every year. I focused on reducing non deductible debt.

I also had two properties working for me. Sure it was not easy, but i focused on the gross assets and was prepared to loose $12k a year if i had $1m of assets (PPOR and rental property).

If property rises on average 5% then i am happy with ($50k less $12k).

. If I was to buy a property at say $300 000 and rent it out for 300 a wk it leaves me with a loss of nearly 1000 a month.

How did you figure that out?? :confused:

300k at 6% = (18,000) pa loan
300 per week = 300 x 52 * 92% (to allow for management fee) = $14,352 pa
Allow another $1,200 for BC, rates etc

That's $4,848 out of pocket PER YEAR
Divide that by 12 = $404 per month or $93 per week (without any tax benefits allowed for)

So I'd hate to sound like one of those seminar presenters but.... can you afford to put aside $100 per week? It might mean killing that night out etc etc etc....

Cheers,

The Y-man

...... or $93 per week (without any tax benefits allowed for)

.....and going on from there, assume 33% tax rate and that is $62 per week or $8.85 per day. Hey, if you go to McCafe and order a latte and a biscuit you'll pay that much.

Give up the latte & bikky and you'll be making big bikkies soon enough out of your RE investments. Now where did I leave those steak knives? :D

Remaining loan 328,499

Expected rent 15,000

Interest costs 24,637
Rates 2,000
Other 2,000
Total costs 28,637

Net gain/loss -13,637

Loss per month -1136

Here are my cals

If I had a loan for 330 that would cover the cost of house/stampduty and legals along with 5000 buffer to cover some small repairs ect

I dont earn a lot - so tax ben is not all that great for me

I think I can turn over property in 18 months and no I dont make $100 000 in 18 months so its a good earner but I do want to keep property most of all not just buy and flip.

Interest is cal on 7% yes its not that now but need to work out how to afford if and when it gets there again

Then you're right. On your pay alone you can't really afford to hold a property with those numbers.

But if you can flip a property and make 100k, bank the net, and that will last a couple of years of negative gearing.

For that matter, with 500k equity you can capitalise interest. Riskier, but possible.

Yes I thought if I could do this project and then next time do it again ( split large block ) but keep the house and by then the loan will be under 200 000 and the rent will cover it - its a long road but I really think I need to do it.

So then I am guessing that everyone pays down 12 000 a year from own earnings to fund properties?

Back