I completed my first property purchase :)

Hey guys,

I'm so excited at the moment I got a call from my lawyer today saying that contracts for my property have been exchanged! I'm now the proud owner of my first property investment.

Its a studio apartment in the eastern suburbs of sydney and I purchased it for $115K. Theres a tenant in there at the moment paying $165 a week. The strata is quite expensive $850 a quarter which is probably why no one wants to touch it but I did a strata search myself and $500 is going into the sinking fund to fund for future repairs...

The property actually went up for auction. I was so embarresed the other properties on the market were worth millions of dollars. The first property got passed in for 1.1 million (it was a 3 bedroom house in bondi).

My property came up it was the second one and I waitied until it almost got passed in and I put a bid in for $100K. Obviously it didn't make the reserve and it got passed in.

The agent figured I didn't really to buy it and said to give him a call tomorrow. I mentioned that I'm interested and if I can get it for the right price I brought my cheque book with me and I can close the sale tonight if need be.

I tried to a stupid tactic pretended to call my parents for more money and offer $106K. The agent saw right through me and said don't bother. He called the owner and said I can get it for $120K I ended up paying $115K. Signed the contract right there and put on a 10% deposit gotta tell you my heart was beating so fast.

All in all I was very happy with the purchase I would have paid substantially more because

- I did a search on RPData and the owner bought the place originally for $138000 in 2001.
- I was prepared to pay a lot more than $115K.
- The vendor had to sell he has bought another place.

I'm so happy I finally got a place I'velooked for 4 months. One big thing I learnt is that number is very important. But more important is being able to spot a deal and sense when the vendor needs to sell and you can usually negociate in a strong position.

In hindsight I think I was very lucky. I was the only one at the auction with only 1 bid being put on. Thus when it got passed in I was in a strong negociatiating position (no other buy on the night so no dutch auction). Also the agent kept saying to vendor I had my cheque book and I could buy it that night if he wanted, I think this really emotionally effected the owner. In fact I put in a written offer of $115K 3 weeks prior to auction and it got rejected!

Thought I'd share my first experience :) I feel so happy after months of reading and looking I found a place that satisfied my criteria.

One quick questions. On the night I signed a blank contract. My lawyer said today the auctioneer signed it on the night. Is this legal? I'm not too familiar with auctions....

Does the vendor usually sign beforehand or can the auctioneer sign for the vendor? Thanks!

Looking for my second place this weekend will prob go out west and get a house!

Congrats Sonic. Well done.

Remember that there's no such thing as the perfect property - as long as it met your criteria and fits your strategy you're on your way with the action you've taken.

And cool your boots, no need to rush for #2 !!

True but I've still got more equity to play with so if I find a good deal I'll buy another one :)

I'm drawing on my margin loan at the moment to fund the purchase...

Congratulations Sonic, sounds like you have done well on the price based on the last sale price.

If you can afford another one based on your cashflow why not go for it!

well done.

regards,
karina

Congratulations! While I don't know the market in that area, that does sound like a good price. Keep up the good work.

Congrats

Done well considering this is your first property. Hope you go on to buy a lot more IP's in the coming years.

Good luck

Arungounder

Woohoo!

Yay - good work. You've done lots of research and should get a good deal of satisfaction out of your work.

Good onya for being brave and telling us the gory bits too..

I love the bit "I tried to pretend to ring my parents, but the RE saw right through it"

heheh.
I remember sitting in a RE office when I was trying to buy, and offering 305K for a place, and the RE said "they won't take it"

I said - write it up anyway - I have a cheque here for deposit.

When she was on the phone to vendor / re office - I panicked and said - make it $310!

Totally lost credibility and would have wasted $5K for no good reason.

I didn't end up getting the house luckily. I got a better one cheaper.

The things we do under pressure!!!

Great post - thanks for sharing your full experience as alwayscurious has described.

Don't forget your insurance if you haven't done so already... !

Well done Sonic. You're now ahead of 95% of the rest. What was your reason for using property as your chosen wealth vehicle and how does this IP fit into it?

Once again Well Done!

Hey,

Congrats indeed!! Just to let you know that your property has a positive after tax cash flow assuming around 10% deposit and 60+K wage. Not that easy to find these days It seems though that you have done all your sums and this is good. Very smart of you to do the reading first and buying later. I did it the other way around... :eek:

Congrats....

Rixter said:
Well done Sonic. You're now ahead of 95% of the rest. What was your reason for using property as your chosen wealth vehicle and how does this IP fit into it?

Once again Well Done!

Thank you all for your positive an ecouraging comments. I'm still on a high! :)

One thing I noticed oddly was if you search homepriceguide.com my apartment is listed as sold for $117K which I found odd since the contract said $115K. My lawyer confirmed its only $115K. Do you guys think this is a genuine mistake or the agent overstated the selling price? How does homepriceguide.com get their auction results?

Rixter: The reason I chose investment property is because I read a lot of books and found I have the biggest interest in property. My previously investments include a margin loan gearing into buy funds. However I'm mainly attracted to investment property for the following reasons:

- You can leverage a lot more and for someone like me who is 24 I want to borrow as much as I can since I'm investing for the long term.
- I like property because if you spend the time researching its possible to find something below market even for a normal person. share analysis is a lot harder and more detailed (i.e. technical analysis/ fundamental analysis and you need a bit of skill to do it). property analysis is a lot of common sense.
- I wanted to learn the process of buying a property and in that improve my negociating skills and being able to analyze a business deal (i.e. property financials) and determine whether it is porfitable or not.
- I wanted to own a place!

Rolf Latham said:
Hiya George

Reckon Sonic would have put in prob 20 % at least. Not many funders will do mortgage insurance on studios.

ta

rolf

Hi Rolf, you are absolutely right. I was a bit discouraged my broker was quite good but the best deal I could get for LVR was 95% lending rate with a building society at standard variable which is really expensive. And of course u have to pay LMI.

I ended up taking 6.65% with colonial (a branch off commonwealth bank?) but its 80% LVR. I'm putting $9000 cash down and supplementing the rest of the loan by drawing on my margin loan.

I'm hoping to get it revalued in 6 months or 12 months and hopefully get it revalued up.

My broker told me the bank initially will only lend 80% of the lower of the valuation or purchase price.

Does anyone have tips on how to best improve your changes of getting a good revaluation? My own research shows that I should find a valuer that my bank uses + to come up with my own sales data to prove me point.

I know in my block a unit was sold 1 year ago for $180K same size as mine. A lady bought a similar one in the same block slightly larger for $210K 3 years ago. Also the vendor originally bought my unit for $138K in 2001 based on RPdata do I think I have a strong case.

Any tips would be much appreciated! :)

One other question what is the correct auction process?

- Is the vendor supposed to sign the contract before the auction?
- Can the auctioneer sign on behalf on the vendor if a) reaches the reserve b) gets passed in but a contract is negociated afterwards
- I found my case a bit wierd the vendor gave an oral agreement on the price over the phone and I signed a contract with the agreed price but the vendor had no signature. Just wondering what happened if the vendor changed his mind the next day? I presume he is not bound by the contract but I am?

Thanks in advance :
)

Yay!

sonic said:
Hey guys,

I'm so excited at the moment I got a call from my lawyer today saying that contracts for my property have been exchanged! I'm now the proud owner of my first property investment.

Way to go, Sonic!!

Back