I demand the NSW govt to be fired immediately

yep - dont fix it - just tax it to discourage the use.

not that it will - if people are driving 1.5hrs from the Bluies into Sydney, i cant see them swapping their car for a train halfway and adding another 45mins to the journey.

someone call a royal commission into the NSW Govt already....

yep - dont fix it - just tax it to discourage the use.

not that it will - if people are driving 1.5hrs from the Bluies into Sydney, i cant see them swapping their car for a train halfway and adding another 45mins to the journey.

That completely depends on the ratios used. At a certain point, it would make people avoid peak hour (For example if peak tolls are $85 and off-peak is $1.50).

Peak/off-peak pricing is a good way to smooth out cyclic demand, however you still need to get the balance right.

In the case of toll roads, if demand increases and supply stays the same (same road, same amount of lanes) then that understandably that puts upward pressure on the price. On the other hand during off-peak times, demand decreases, yet again supply stays the same, so that puts downward pressure on the price.

I'm not saying NSW govt is awesome by the way.

the nsw government seems to be of the belief that no-one exists outside of sydney.

i hate going to sydney - thru sydney - past sydney because of the tolls.

so many of them now only accept e-tickets, with no option to pay cash, but if you come from outside of sydney and only use the toll once a year than the hassle of trying to either preorganise an eticket account (at great expense) or trying to pay it via credit card over a mobile phone in the dark afterwards, only to find can only pay during daytime office hours, is a traumatic experience.

i would rather pay an extra 1% tax than have to put up with the tolls - even tho i might use them only once a year!

the problem i have is not really that there is a "congestion tax"... but moreso that this tax/extortion is being covered SOLELY by the north side of sydney.

You see, the north side votes for Liberal.
The south side votes for Labor.

The south side has the M4 and M5 cashback scheme, which means that you effectively dont pay for the toll on either road. There has been no toll increases on the M4 since, like forever... and has been about 2 toll increases on the M5.

The north side has the M2, the Lane Cove Tunnel, the Bridge and the Harbour Tunnel. All of which have incurred massive toll increases. There is also a total lack of public transport infrastructure, as most trains and busses on north side are already at capacity.
Oh yeah, and the bridge has already been paid off - but yet the north is still slugged the toll to pay for "roads for the labor voting west".

This "congestion tax" would be acceptable if:
- there were adequate public transport to carry the extra volume of passengers
- it was applied fairly and equitably to all access routes to the CBD, instead of being applied to just ONE (the north).

So in effect, what this is is a punish the Liberal voters scheme.

Royal Commission all the way.

The way things are going the Hills district will be a desert !!! No train system, obscene tolls to drive into the city (heaven help you if you drive during peak periods), no cash-back system. Maybe the government doesn't want anyone living in the Hills. Its strange.

the nsw government seems to be of the belief that no-one exists outside of sydney.

i hate going to sydney - thru sydney - past sydney because of the tolls.

so many of them now only accept e-tickets, with no option to pay cash, but if you come from outside of sydney and only use the toll once a year than the hassle of trying to either preorganise an eticket account (at great expense) or trying to pay it via credit card over a mobile phone in the dark afterwards, only to find can only pay during daytime office hours, is a traumatic experience.

i would rather pay an extra 1% tax than have to put up with the tolls - even tho i might use them only once a year!

I have an etag so this doesn't really effect me. BUt i still agree with you. People who don't use the roads regularly really do suffer. My parents live in COuntry NSW and had no idea that everything was now etoll until they were actually on the road, they were so stressed out about the whole thing thinking they were going to get huge fines.

The way things are going the Hills district will be a desert !!! No train system, obscene tolls to drive into the city (heaven help you if you drive during peak periods), no cash-back system. Maybe the government doesn't want anyone living in the Hills. Its strange.

Certainly doenst line up with where the state govt is expecting all the new houses to be built, does it?
Rouse Hill, Schofields and beyond.....

Oh well. If only we didnt have to wait 3 painful years to vote again.
(not that I voted for labor anyway)

Witzl

Don't worry, the transportation issue won't go away they will have to address it in the near future or the next (liberal gov) will do it for them...:D

It's good that people complain and hopefully this government will get the message.

I think they could have built the NW metro if they played their cards smarter
but they had too many internal problem, inexperience played a big role as well.
They could have also invited the private sector along to participate in the project as well.

I guess this now puts the Epping train line extension on the cards

cheers

I live in Qld, never visit Sydney and generally a Labour supporter and Im dead keen for the NSW govt to be shot - the lot of them.

hmmm... maybe the only option left is a Guy Faulks type reaction?

Love it! Right there with you!

Anyone heard anything about the travel on buses for school children? They were going to start charging us to send our children by bus.

regards JO

The Northwest region may well be left out continually when it comes to transport, but don't assume that all Hills residents work in Sydney CBD. In fact, reading a local Chamber of Commerce survey recently, the results indicate that many residents work either locally (Northwest or Parra) and so have no need for the M2. Not all commute long distances. And don't forget that Schofields and Riverstone actually have a train line already- undervalued spots, if you ask me.

However, I digress.... this state govt is a fiasco and needs to smarten up their act considerably- but that ain't going to happen until we're, oh, 6 mths or so out from the next state election.

As for rebates on our tolls, well if we all voted Labour last time we'd be in a different position. Whilst we're still a blue ribbon Liberal seat, we're going to be ignored. No doubt about it. Highly frustrating.

I lived in the Northern Beaches for 6 years and did not need a car at all even though I worked over night shifts that sometimes finished at 2.00 or 3.00am. There were always busses. And there are ferries. Unless the bus service has been drastically reduced there is really no reason to have to drive to work in the city.

Here in Brisbane the bus and train service is so lax you have to either drive to take cabs if you want to get around after midnight :mad:

I've often wondered this but never knew who to ask and you sound like you might know.........................

Why is it I can drive from Sydneys west over the Harbour Bridge to visit my friend in Mosman and pay no toll, but I have to pay a toll to come back the same way? Usually any road with a toll has it in both directions.
(Edit: just re-read your post) - or is this what you're saying in these words - "Oh yeah, and the bridge has already been paid off - but yet the north is still slugged the toll to pay for "roads for the labor voting west".
Sorry, I might be a bit slow today.............:eek:

And do we actually know that the HB toll funds are used to bankroll roads in the west and not for ongoing bridge maintenance or as a toll to get INTO the city.

Not doubting you - just asking as I really wouldn't have a clue.
Olly

the problem i have is not really that there is a "congestion tax"... but moreso that this tax/extortion is being covered SOLELY by the north side of sydney.

You see, the north side votes for Liberal.
The south side votes for Labor.

The south side has the M4 and M5 cashback scheme, which means that you effectively dont pay for the toll on either road. There has been no toll increases on the M4 since, like forever... and has been about 2 toll increases on the M5.

The north side has the M2, the Lane Cove Tunnel, the Bridge and the Harbour Tunnel. All of which have incurred massive toll increases. There is also a total lack of public transport infrastructure, as most trains and busses on north side are already at capacity.
Oh yeah, and the bridge has already been paid off - but yet the north is still slugged the toll to pay for "roads for the labor voting west".

This "congestion tax" would be acceptable if:
- there were adequate public transport to carry the extra volume of passengers
- it was applied fairly and equitably to all access routes to the CBD, instead of being applied to just ONE (the north).

So in effect, what this is is a punish the Liberal voters scheme.

Royal Commission all the way.

I've often wondered this but never knew who to ask and you sound like you might know.........................

Why is it I can drive from Sydneys west over the Harbour Bridge to visit my friend in Mosman and pay no toll, but I have to pay a toll to come back the same way? Usually any road with a toll has it in both directions.
(Edit: just re-read your post) - or is this what you're saying in these words - "Oh yeah, and the bridge has already been paid off - but yet the north is still slugged the toll to pay for "roads for the labor voting west".
Sorry, I might be a bit slow today.............:eek:

And do we actually know that the HB toll funds are used to bankroll roads in the west and not for ongoing bridge maintenance or as a toll to get INTO the city.

Not doubting you - just asking as I really wouldn't have a clue.
Olly

Olly

I dont know why the harbour bridge and tunnel are only charged one way, i can only speculate that it is designed to slug people for entering the city (and not for leaving the city).

As for the toll still on the bridge - it was paid off back in the Carr years, and was big news at the time. Mr i-dont-even-have-a-licence-Carr kept the toll, and publicly annouced the funds were to be directed for roads infrastructure in western sydney (heartland labour area).

*Sigh*
I can only hope things get better one day, for the sake of all Sydney-siders

I would like to form an action group to take some protest action from Hills/ North against the govts plans.
I was so angry when I read the reports of mini-budget - increase tolls for Hills residents, without getting rid of Cashback rort, as well as dump our train line.
So, we get penalised both ways, when others who have public transport options don't pay at all.
I even wrote a letter to Rees to tell him how much I thought he'd sold out the Hills district....... and I'm usually a Labor voter, but I'll do all I can to get this mob out.

So, is anyone else up for some protest action....... I was thinking M2 blockades, or "go-slows" (even more slower than usual!), or everyone going thru the toll booths without their e-tags so that they have to send follow up notices to everyone. I think we need to do something tangible to keep attention focused now that the media is at least interested in the issue. I know there is a Hills Transport Action Group, but they don't seem to do anything.

So, anyone else up for some protests!!
Pen

Penny

Blocking roads is never a popular way to express our frustration.
Blocking/restricting access to the parliament house would certainly attract media attention.

How about chaining ourselves outside the main entrance, have banners organised and paid for by the liberal party with nice slogans ( it won't be hard to come up with a few creating ones) demanding their resignation...:D

Back