I don't understand HOW one can retire in 15yrs...

Let's say one person earns $40k a year
No debt, no home equity.

Buys 1st IP, repaying interests. WAIT....for CG.

Buy 2nd IP increased equity from 1st IP, repayment INCREASES (now 2 loans). WAIT.....for CG.

Then what? (Highly probably already 6yrs gone) cannot service more IP loans.

Alternatively, use the increased CG to fund the interest repayment. --> more debt. Purchase 3rd IP.....

At the end of 15yrs, sell some IPs and repaying some loans, retire from RENTAL INCOME??

If 4yrs per IP purchase, --> 4 IPs, even if selling 2 of the IPS and EVEN if AFTER CGT and other selling costs still equal to DOUBLE. Then you have 2 properties paid off.

2 IP rental income SURELY not enough to RETIRE!

Any1 got real numbers and scenarios?

You buy the IP so that others can retire.

Then it's up to you to convert new people to buying IPs for more than you did and then you get to retire.

And so-forth and so-forth.

No debt, no home equity.

Buy 2nd IP increased equity from 1st IP, repayment INCREASES (now 2 loans). WAIT.....for CG.

Alternatively, use the increased CG to fund the interest repayment. --> more debt. Purchase 3rd IP.....

At the end of 15yrs, sell some IPs and repaying some loans, retire from RENTAL INCOME??

If 4yrs per IP purchase, --> 4 IPs, even if selling 2 of the IPS and EVEN if AFTER CGT and other selling costs still equal to DOUBLE. Then you have 2 properties paid off.

Its possible..
Does it have to be through Property only??
There is more than one avenue to reach the goal of financial freedom ..

First task would be to develop positive financial habits..
Then work backwards to see what targets are needed to get to that goal.. Once you determine that think of strategies to achieve those targets.

what about 4 properties that are neutrally geared and you LOE? say $1mil in assets with 4% increase in rent per year so draw 4% out of equity to keep neutral so $40k/year tax free (as long as you dont sell the properties).

Interesting 1st post......

It is possible, I can't be bothered explaining it to you though, maybe someone else does :D .

GSJ

We are hoping to retire in 10 years by making money from property. Basically you work out how many properties you need to own outright to receive enough rental income to replace your income. You buy around double that number of properties and when you want to retire, you sell half of your properties which will pay off the loans on the properties you wish to keep.

Bit simplistic I know, but that is the idea anyway.

For a much better explanation, read this month's edition of API.

For a much better explanation, read this month's edition of API.

I don't know what others thought who have read the article in API regarding how many properties are needed to retire, but I thought their time frame was very long? From memory they mentioned over 23 years or so?

As GoAnna says, you can speed up the process by:

1) Adding value to a property and gaining higher yield and capital growth.

2) Buying houses with a large land component which could be subdivided.

3) Using equity to invest in other high growth and high yielding investments including shares.

4) Doing some wraps.

etc, etc.

I don't know what others thought who have read the article in API regarding how many properties are needed to retire, but I thought their time frame was very long? From memory they mentioned over 23 years or so?

As GoAnna says, you can speed up the process by:

1) Adding value to a property and gaining higher yield and capital growth.

2) Buying houses with a large land component which could be subdivided.

3) Using equity to invest in other high growth and high yielding investments including shares.

4) Doing some wraps.

etc, etc.

I agree, it seems a bit too long and too many properties to me, considering rent rises over the years [inflation comes into play though too]
But then again, you can never have too much property.

The less income / equity / cash you have to start with, the more creative you need to get to reach the same goal. No one said you can just buy a property every couple of years on a $40k income and be able to retire by 15.
Alex

Just a few comments Skyh,

You can retire at any time, it depends on what you want to live on when you retire.

It might also be be best to start with the end in mind, by having an idea of what you want to retire on and then address the "gap" based on what you have today.

Of course, your idea of retiring comfortably will probably differ to mine.

I think Trandsta is closest:
Its possible..
Does it have to be through Property only??

I think the "action" is in other assets and if you are good enough (That is the hard bit) you can progress a long way in ten years.

"Retirement" is a big ask though and may be so daunting that you won't give it your best shot. You are very doubtful now! Why not try for "cruising"? I get the impression that there are many here who, while not retired, are cruising with that goal clearly in sight. And that's not too bad. :) Personally, I think it's a bloody good feeling and once the pressure's off, actual retirement loses it's urgency.

Reactions: Les
Hi all,

How can it be done???

Easy, read Jan Somers Book, the secrets are all there.

For example, after you pay off the PPOR, continue to make payments into the first IP. After cap growth and reduced loan buy second.

After a couple more years you can probably buy 2 more.

Then after a couple of more years you could probably buy 3 or 4 more.

Then after a couple of more years you could probably buy 7 or 8 more.

Do you get the picture? You leverage up the previous gains. You also choose the level of risk you consider appropriate.

Depending on the market conditions/interest rates etc, it may take 10 years, 15 or 20, maybe longer, that is the unpredictable element,

The future.

bye

Ok let's see......some blue sky figures

Earn $40k, save $20k pa ($20k to live on and pay tax)

Invest $20k in income funds and/or cpt @ 8%pa

Year Invested Investment Income
1 20000 1600
2 41600 3328
3 64928 5194.24
4 90122.24 7209.78
5 117332.02 9386.56
6 146718.58 11737.49
7 178456.07 14276.49
8 212732.55 17018.6
9 249751.16 19980.09
10 289731.25 23178.5

Year 10, your investments are making $23k a year, your living cost is $20k per year, so you retire.

ooops.... hang on, where's the residential IP bit...... :confused: :eek: :D

Cheers,

The Y-man

One may or may not be able to do it in 15 years, but 2 would make it much easier.

I know that without my wife, I would be hopeless, but working together, can reach that goal in 5 years (not property alone and not on 40k).

Also as mentioned earlier, shouldn't all have to be done through property.
During those 15 years as you learn and grow, you should demand alot more than 40k for your services. Or even better, start a business.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not trying to SHORT-CUT anything. I really want to find out and get feedback / ideas / experience from others.

I guess my question could also be asked as: HOw much can be done / achieve in 15yrs financially thru property investing.

As some of you mentioned, determining the goal and work way backwards to see how many Ips require to produce desire rental income, then double the number and WAIT for them to DOUBLE in value. (Let's assume I want just $1k per week rental income, so I would need 6to 8 IPs and sell half later)

That's the thing I don't understand. Unless the IPs are Cashflow+, it's impossible to keep buying more IPs even the CG has increased. The typical properties in the market gives rental yield of 4%, outgoings of 2%, CG some %, interest rate repayment %, I just can't get the numbers right to ACHIEVE that simple idea of buying 6 to 8 IPs and sell 1/2.

You buy the IP so that others can retire.

Then it's up to you to convert new people to buying IPs for more than you did and then you get to retire.

And so-forth and so-forth.

Still on that PONZI scheme theme HG?
So what happened to the Ponzi who started it all up around 2,000 years ago?

No debt, no home equity.

It is quite possible to retire in this time-frame using a combination of the rental income and the equity in the properties.
Many people live off their asset base equity, and it is a strategy that, if managed correctly, is quite safe.

For example; over 15 years, you buy 5 properties every 2 years at $200k each (realistically, by about year 10 there will be very few $200k properties in existence, but stay with me for the sake of the argument). You use 100% finance, and the purchase costs are 6%. Total finance is $1,060,000.

Assume that property doubles in value every 7 years or so.

So, the properties will increase in value by an average of $28,571 per year approx.
year 1. $200k property
year 3. $200k property
year 5. $200k property
year 7. $200k property
year 9. $200k property

Now let's apply the $28k (rounded down for easy calcs) cap gain as an average per year, and there are no repayments off the loans as they are investment and tax deductible (I personally believe in debt reduction as you go). Using the $28k figure, the properties double in value every 8.5 years.

Let's also assume that rents go up by 5% per year on average, and in year 1 the rent for each property is $230 per week (5.9% rent return).

Of course, by the time you get to each purchase year the rent will have increased with the property values, but I want to keep this simple (for me to work out).

At year 15, the property portfolio value is $2,260,000.
The rent income per year is $93,637.96
In reality, it could easily be more, based on the rent return staying at 5% of the portfolio value of $2.26 mill ($113,000).
The loan is still $1,060,000. The interest rate has averaged 8% for the 15 years, so your repayments are $84,800 per year.

Your equity is $1,200,000.
The Bank will only let you access 80% of the properties' value, less any outstanding loans;
$1,808,000 - $1,060,000 = $748,000 useable equity. You may not be able to access all of this due to servicability however.

So now, the property portfolio value is increasing at, say; 5% per year = $113,000 in year 16.

You draw down 10% of your useable equity to live in year 16 year; $74,800.

The portfolio value has still increased in nett value by $38,200 in the first year that you begin to start taking equity draw-downs (year 16).

In year 2 of draw-downs (year 17), the portfolio increases by $118,650.
You draw down the same amount to live, your portfolio nett value has still increased by $43,850. And so on.

I haven't included any expenses or tax returns/tax owing on the properties in this scenario, but it is safe to assume that by about year 12 the cashflow would be positive.

This is not even an aggressive investing strategy. This is Mr. and Mrs. Thong, plod along stuff. It is a bit simplistic as I said, but you get my drift.

I have attached a simple excel spreadsheet of all the figures I have mentioned.

Attachments

• Investing 101.xls
    15 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Reactions: BV
Back