I hate satelite broadband!

For almost a year now we've had satelite broadband. I swear it is slower than most dial-up and if I see another "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message tonight I'll just have to slash my wrists. To make things worse we have an enormous, ugly satelite dish on our roof. What could the problem be? Do we have a dud satelite, perhaps? Any help appreciated.

bernly

For almost a year now we've had satelite broadband. I swear it is slower than most dial-up and if I see another "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message tonight I'll just have to slash my wrists. To make things worse we have an enormous, ugly satelite dish on our roof. What could the problem be? Do we have a dud satelite, perhaps? Any help appreciated.

bernly

Are you dealing with Telstra ?

I'll start running the warm bath.

Dave

Just have to say I can't stand IE and if you've got Bigpond as your default website .... well, for some reason that site always slows my system down. And the email ... what a nightmare it is to log on! Get rid of it as a default ...

I downloaded Mozilla Firefox and I'm in heaven! No problems with windows/popups nothing. Sweet!

DJ

Hi bernly

I guess it depends on your internet provider
Also, if you dish is not aligned properly you will get errors
resulting in pages taking longer to load.

Remember that the page requests are going out on a landline
so if your landline is not good it will slow you down.
Why did you choose Satellite?
Can't you get ADSL?

Cheers

Why did you choose Satellite?
Can't you get ADSL?

Cheers

Hello BV

ADSL was our preferred option but apparently we live too far away from the exchange. Satellite was recommended but it's been very disappointing. Our ISP is B*rd*rn*t. Am I allowed to say that? They must be doing something right because every newsletter includes more and more photos of new staff, supposedly to cope with the increase in their business. The only improvement for us is in the speed of downloads - if we manage to connect and stay connected for long enough.

bernly

P.S. No need to keep the bath water warm, Boatboy. I've had several gin and tonics and am feeling much better. Thank you for your thoughtfulness!

bernly
Something is not right
I would report the problems to your ISP and ask for advise
was the dish already on your roof or did they install it?
I can't help thinking that it's not pointed correctly
or that the LNB is not the right type.
Cheers

Hi bernly,

I know a guy using B.. net and he is quite happy with it.

Could be worth a complaint as there may be an install problem.

In the meantime, try installing Firefox and use "blank" as your homepage.

It is also possible your PC is full of C**p, do you use an antivirus, Adaware and Spybot or something similar ?

Determine your signal strength from the hardware or software that came with the system.
I watch satellite tv and so download about 50 times faster than you ever would.
I am unaware of upload speeds.
I strongly suspect your dish has an obstruction on it or it is pointing somewhere else.
Even a signal strength of 48% was my max , but tv was no problem except in very heavy typhoons.

Bernly

I have satellite tv and kept losing it, eventually I got an expert in and discovered a tree was in the line of reception!!! He moved the dish slightly and now no problems.

I have a major hill behind my house so getting satellite was the only way I could pick up SBS, I now have SBS Vic, WA, Queensland, etc plus every free to air TV in Australia its great!!!

Chris

bernly
Something is not right
I would report the problems to your ISP and ask for advise
was the dish already on your roof or did they install it?
I can't help thinking that it's not pointed correctly
or that the LNB is not the right type.
Cheers

Thanks BV

I will contact our ISP. The dish was installed by their man who spent a lot of time positioning it. I wanted him to put it on the side of the house that is shielded from our driveway and lawned area but he insisted that it had to go slap bang in the middle of the back bit of roof in order to best pick up the signal. I was upset for ages as my eye was always drawn to it when I was outside but now I guess I've got used to the monstrosity and only notice it occasionally. I've put up with all the hassles because I just presumed that was as good as it got in the bush.

Back