I have the passion! I have the Bug!

Hi All,

On the way to work, at lunch time, on the way home, around the dinner table, at night.............

I am always thinking about Property investing.

The average guy thinks about sex how many times a day?. Well at the moment, Property investing is coming a close second.:D

The IP bug? Is it something you "catch"?

GG

Well its' not that bad, what would be bad however is if you are thinking IP whilst having sex!

"Yes, yes, give it to me baby, a block of flats in Kirrabilli for $400K, a renovators special in Camberwell, oohhh yes oohhh, 5 years fixed interest at 2%....OHHHH YESSSSSS " :)

Originally posted by always_learning
Well its' not that bad, what would be bad however is if you are thinking IP whilst having sex!

"Yes, yes, give it to me baby, a block of flats in Kirrabilli for $400K, a renovators special in Camberwell, oohhh yes oohhh, 5 years fixed interest at 2%....OHHHH YESSSSSS " :)
Now you're just making me feel horny.:eek:

I've posted this story before, but it's probably a lot more relevant to this thread.

An old retired man goes to his wife one day, and says to her, "I don't know how to tell you this dear, but the stock market crashed, and I'm afraid we're broke."

The wife says, "No, we're not. Let's go for a drive into town."

The husband replies, "Our savings are all gone and you want is to go for a drive? Oh well, whatever. I guess you're crazier than me." So off they go into town.

When they get there his wife points and says, "See that office building? We own that."

The husband thinks his wife is nuts so he mumbles something unintelligible and drives to the next area of the city, which just happens to be the richest part of town. His wife says again pointing, "See those five houses? We own those."

The husband is now sure his wife is certifiably crazy so he says, "What makes you think we own all this property?"

His wife replies, "Remember when we first got married and for jokes you would give me $5.00 every time we had sex? Well, I kept the money and invested it and 20 years later this is what has become of it all. Not bad, eh?"

The husband says, "Dammit woman, if I'd known you were this good with money I'd have probably given you all my business."

Passion & "bugs" are the cause of decisions based on emotions. These are hardly ever good ones except during a bull market.

Professional investors are cool & calm, and know how to take advantage of those "bugs" and turn all that passion into their best bargaining tool....that's why they're professionals.
This of course includes all those "vendors".

stay cool
bbg2003

:cool:

Gordon, hehe, dont worry I have the same thing. As long as ya dont let it overcome your life i think its fine hehe :)

Geoffw: LMAO :D

Originally posted by bbg2003
Passion & "bugs" are the cause of decisions based on emotions. These are hardly ever good ones except during a bull market.

Professional investors are cool & calm, and know how to take advantage of those "bugs" and turn all that passion into their best bargaining tool....that's why they're professionals.
This of course includes all those "vendors".

stay cool
bbg2003

:cool:

Hmmm, I belive we all should be passonate and emotional...the more the better...this is what makes us human, and I believe it is what drives humans towards greater things. A buring desire to improve ourselves, a buring desire not to be sick, broke and 60!... with a bit of intelligent though these desires should be put to work in calculated and methodical ways!

Originally posted by geoffw
I've posted this story before, but it's probably a lot more relevant to this thread.

An old retired man goes to his wife one day, and says to her, "I don't know how to tell you this dear, but the stock market crashed, and I'm afraid we're broke."

The wife says, "No, we're not. Let's go for a drive into town."

The husband replies, "Our savings are all gone and you want is to go for a drive? Oh well, whatever. I guess you're crazier than me." So off they go into town.

When they get there his wife points and says, "See that office building? We own that."

The husband thinks his wife is nuts so he mumbles something unintelligible and drives to the next area of the city, which just happens to be the richest part of town. His wife says again pointing, "See those five houses? We own those."

The husband is now sure his wife is certifiably crazy so he says, "What makes you think we own all this property?"

His wife replies, "Remember when we first got married and for jokes you would give me $5.00 every time we had sex? Well, I kept the money and invested it and 20 years later this is what has become of it all. Not bad, eh?"

The husband says, "Dammit woman, if I'd known you were this good with money I'd have probably given you all my business."

Hahaha love that story Geoffw, classic!

GG

I think that once you find something that has the potential to offer so much (in this case, IP's), it is natural to think about it.

What is even better is that while you are thinking about it, you are considering things that you might not otherwise.

All the time you are learning and that can only be a good thing.

Presumably you don't just think about IP's for their own sake, but because of your ultimate goal (whatever that me be).

Never lose sight of that.

MB

Good Advice MB,

Id like to add: dont forget to have a life as well. Some people lose sight of that and in my opinion its just not worth it to sacrifice your life now for a better retirement or whatever your goal is. To the surprise of many it is possible to have both.

Originally posted by MB364
GG

I think that once you find something that has the potential to offer so much (in this case, IP's), it is natural to think about it.

What is even better is that while you are thinking about it, you are considering things that you might not otherwise.

All the time you are learning and that can only be a good thing.

Presumably you don't just think about IP's for their own sake, but because of your ultimate goal (whatever that me be).

Never lose sight of that.

MB

Passion is good but obsession isn't necessarily healthy

Delayed gratification can be a good thing, but it's easy to lose sight of why you are delaying it. Do you live frugally until the last 5 years of your life, then spend the last five living like a king? Chances are that you won't break the habit.

I have seen people being frugal to the point where given their circumstances, it's just obsessive behaviour, and serves no other purpose at all.

Interesting point there you make about breaking a habit, Sanchez. Some people are born frugal and it doesn't matter how many assets they have or how much passive income they have available to them, they cannot bring themselves to enjoy a lifestyle that makes life more comfortable. I know people like this.

I've also heard of multi millionaires (most asset rich and cash poor) who still live in houses without floor coverings and light fittings, never take holidays and complain about the cost of every little item.

I agree with Brains in that you have to live for the here and now, whilst also ensuring that your future, whilst important, is not the only pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Life's too short!

GG

You sound like my husband. He's got property investment on the brain. So much so that when recently he had to go into hospital because he had an irregular heartbeat and had to have a shot of the paddles to get his heart rate back to normal - he woke up from the gas and he thought the nurse was a real estate agent trying to sell him property.

I think it's catching. I'm driving my family absolutely spare! :D

Dose - that's really hysterical about your husband. Cracked me right up!

Shaggygirl

The bug

i definatly have the bug but inturn, have the flu symptoms waiting for the equity to hurry up and grow to keep purchasing.
How do others overcome this side effect??
Starting out

Originally posted by Dose
GG

You sound like my husband. He's got property investment on the brain. So much so that when recently he had to go into hospital because he had an irregular heartbeat and had to have a shot of the paddles to get his heart rate back to normal - he woke up from the gas and he thought the nurse was a real estate agent trying to sell him property.

Dose, classic; thanks for the laugh:D

And I agree with the above that you need to have a life. However "having a life" have a different meaning to different meaning to different people. For me it is travelling to places of my childhood dreams-all those wonderful things I was only able to read about.

If the journey to financial freedom is filled with unnecessary hardships and sacrifices what is the point of going there in the first place?

Hi
I certainly agree with the posters re letting the whole thing take over your life, but hey, I seem to be bitten by the bug too :D , but I'm not sure if I have been bitten as much as Dose's husband :)
Jacque
"I agree with Brains in that you have to live for the here and now, whilst also ensuring that your future, whilst important, is not the only pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Life's too short!"
You can still live while investing :D and get the satisfaction from trying to get the right deal, property, price, cash flow, property manager, etc. - better stop at that or I'll get too excited.
IMHO you can't get really good results from much in this life, if you do it half heartedly, or with little passion, but BALANCE seems essential
Starting out
Have the same problems from time to time, but I think the answer is, 'all good things come to he who is patient' (or something like that)
jahn

GG,

I feel the same way!

But I'm finding that after all that research and having just purchase my 1st IP, my brain is finally starting to turn some IP cells off!

I guess its a big step - a change in attitude - a persual of ultimately a change in life style.

Once you get settled I think (as is starting to happen with me) you'll start to "cool" down and switch in on when needed.

Regards and Good Luck

Keen
;)

Back