I lost my shirt, I pawned my rings ...

Hi everyone,

Am asking a tough one here and would appreciate respect for anyone who has the guts to answer, including me.

Was wondering whether you would be willing to share your property investment mistakes on this thread?

Not looking for advice or consolation, just some honesty about the hard times - keeping in mind that "success is the last step of failure".

Maybe I'm not the only one who would like to know the answers to the following.

In relation to property investment only:
1/ What did you buy or not buy?
2/ What were you thinking? What influenced your thoughts?
3/ What was the result of this mistake?
4/ How did you get through it? What strategies did you use / are you using?
5/ What would you do differently?
6/ What have you learned? What wisdom can you impart?

Me:
1/ I bought a house in outer Melbourne when the market was at it's peak instead of buying the flat next door to the first one I bought in Sydney which is what I really wanted to do.

2/ I was thinking that I'd done so well with the flat that I could buy something more expensive which would increase in value at an even faster pace.
Once I started on this path, the mistakes started to flow. I believed the Melbourne r/e agent about the rent without doing more research and bought the house at an elevated price without seeing it. I think I was influenced by fear of missing out and also by greed.

3/ The mistake is that the GFC came along and the house lost value - ok that's probably the same for nearly everyone.

But the yield isn't any good even though it's a regional area - not helped by me paying too much. Then the rent went down too.

And then my higher income job went and I took on a job where I pay very little tax and now carry most of the negative gearing myself.

4/ I was determined not to sell and would've lost money that way, anyway.
I got through by very quickly getting another full-time job, moving to the country and reducing living expenses significantly - country living is a lot cheaper. Actually, it's been a great move and a great job and I love the house I'm living in.

I was wasting so much money before.

5/ Despite all this, I would consider buying in the same area again - just do it differently.
I would buy a smaller house on a smaller block in a cheaper area.
Also, if I could have time back, I would buy in 2012 instead of 2010!!

6/ What I've learned is that the way I bought that place doesn't work for me. I need to be much more involved. I do need to assess it face-to-face and I need to negotiate with the real estate agent face-to-face.

Also, I rushed in when I should've waited. I had the finance but it wasn't the right time to buy in that area. I already knew that but allowed myself to be influenced by others.

And the flat next to the one I first bought would've been perfect and would've made a tidy profit by now. I should've listened to myself.

Things have become much easier lately. The interest rates have helped heaps and my pay has gone up a bit. I also see the long-awaited capital gains starting to happen on the house. Hope the rents go up soon too!

Next time I'll take my time and listen to myself like I did the first time. :)
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
Anyone else?

My biggest mistake has been not pulling the trigger on deals that would have been good, simply because I had too much going on in my life at the time.

Im always papering over mistakes.

Shows Im normal and not perfect.

However, Im good at getting out of a bind when backed against the wall too.

Thankfully that has not happened very much in the investment game where I do trust my own knowledge and gut feels and not someone else I dont know very well.

Gotta have options to fall back on. Like being able to renovate and increase value and rents.
It helps to be a tradie and have mates in the game to utilise.

A couple of IP's we could have gotten a bit cheaper with a poker face attitude at sale time, but we were keen to get in the game and thankfully time in the market has made those mistakes a distant past never to worry about.

Rents have risen along with equity and all is good looking forward.

Admitting like you are is the best thing. You are being honest with yourself.
Very important and will strengthen your resolve to get it right next time.

Well done, you will be a success Im sure.:)

I had an opportunity to buy a 2BDR unit in Glen Waverly,VIC for $280K back in 2006.
But I did not go thru the sale because i was scared - did not have the mental toughness and/or the vision...

Also, was living overseas that time but had in laws living near GW - who said they would help manage the property + paperwork. Who would trust their inlaws right ? :p

my first IP in VIC was thru a BA , but now i think i have enough confidence and knowledge ( thanks partly to this forum ) that i will get my 2nd IP on my own.

I think its more thrilling and provides more sense of achievement if you buy on your own. And build on that success to be more confident to do your next deal..like many on this forum ( the Rixter and others )

Bought a 3br villa in Castle Hill in 2008 prior to the worst of GFC, prior to govt cancelling the north west rail. Fixed interest rate at 8.5% when the gross yield is only 4%

Got carried away, desire to stick to a meaningless target of 1 new property per year. Bought into the myth that only bluechip surburbs will have CG. Relying too much on negative gearing

Severe cashflow problem, living pay cheque to pay cheque, cash reserve negative, relying on personal loan to survive

Track spending, setup budget, be frugal, work extra hard at day job

Never fix interest rate, never buy when the gap between interest rate and rental yield is >2%

Cash is King

Property that slopped backwards and then put a manufactured building on it that didn't meet any building codes.

I wasn't thinking, I was young and naive. purchased first property using a buyers agent who happened to get on my scent thanks to a covert real estate agent. Didn't really understand much about how councils and bank valuers worked and went against my better judgement and paid too much for my first purchase.

Paid too much, in the process of building a granny flat found out I had huge obstacles to overcome due to the slope of the land and other requirements which were hard to meet.

Perseverance, and my brain. Found the right people for the job, learnt to negotiate with council and also bypass a few very costly procedures by having the right team behind me. These guys are now the ones I use and recommend to my clients.

Granny flat is now approved, cost me about $60k and will return $240/week minimum. It's hideous and I will never do it again.

Honestly you don't know what you don't know. If i had waited till I was 100% sure, I wouldn't have any properties yet. Sometimes you just have to go forward with what you have at hand.

That said, a better team at the start would have done me wonders. And mentoring, I didn't have that much at the time.

Learn council regulations, DA, LEP, etc. Make sure you question everything you are told, you may pee people off but you'll quickly learn how to tell if you're being fibbed to or not.

Learnt that genuine people who keep their word are few and far between. Strive to be one of those people. You can't always do it but there is a lot you can do before you have to accept to call it quits. Learn to forgive yourself if you don't.

Overall, learning curb was extreme after this and it made me a much MUCH better investor.

Had a distant friend who bought shares in FMG in 06-08ish on a tip when it was quite small

he bought $300k worth and sold it a few months later for $600k....

he was very happy.............

until he realised had he kept on to them, at the peak they were worth $30m

moral of the story, dont dwell on the what ifs......and if someone recommends a share put $300k on it and hold on:)

Already posted in one of my threads.

I was seriously suddenly ill & could not work for a year.

No buffer. Was told several times to take out income protection, and didn't prior.

What happened, nothing. Family helped with bills. It was only one IP at the time. Work still wanted to pay half my wage!

Moral - have a buffer. Could have been a lot worse.

PPOR in outer western suburbs

Brought a brand new car with a loan. Then thought, hey, we need to buy a PPOR. No kids at the time so thought, let's get something cheap and make another move later on. Also, having a car loan limited our borrowings and was reluctant to borrow too much :confused:.

1. Current value of that PPOR is about 300K. Had we bought in eastern suburbs during that time, value would be around 600/700K.
2. Don't even want to think about opportunity costs.

We ended up buying a PPOR in eastern suburbs and converted the former PPOR to an IP. Since I bought the western suburb property so cheap, I haven't really lost anything.

If I had my time again, I would not have bought in western suburbs as our goal was to always settle in eastern suburbs.

- Set my priorities right (I would have bought a property in east than buying a new car and going for a cheap property)
- If property is part of my long term goal, then treat it that way.
e.g. Our long term goal was to establish in an area with good schools etc...However, due to a short term financial issue, we bought a property that doesn't support that long term goal.
- Now I think through things a bit more. Weigh up pros/cons etc...
- Always have an open mind so you can learn from others.

So 14 posts into this thread and no one has posted the next line or acknowledged Paul Kelly for his fine lyrics .....

I lost my shirt, I pawned my rings, I've done all the dumb things ......

We have (all) done all the dumb things!!!

Tell us how you became so smart ...

I don't profess to be so smart, however, like most I have made mistakes and poor decisions earlier in life, but I have learnt not to look back or have any regrets and just move on.

I also like Paul Kelly ................

unguarded moment

Thanks for participating everyone. In my case, I'm still living with the consequences of biting off more than I could chew and really appreciate knowing that I'm not the only one who would've done things differently.

The Fence
I do trust my own knowledge and gut feels and not someone else I dont know very well.

This reinforces my main point. And thanks for the encouragement!

VYBerlinaV8: not enough time
K Raheja & datto: not the willingness to take the next step - who knows? might've saved you from some disasters! Remember, fools rush in ...

TMNT: Wow! What an increase with thoses shares. Wish a friend would give me a tip like that ...

FelixL
relying on personal loan to survive
:eek: aagghh

I really like this:
never buy when the gap between interest rate and rental yield is >2%
I know exactly where you're coming from...No more naivete for us!

nhg - had to laugh the way you said it -
Property that sloped backwards and then put a manufactured building on it that didn't meet any building codes.
:rolleyes:
Seems that all the networking and and learning turned things around for you in the long-run!

allsuccess -
having a car loan limited our borrowings and was reluctant to borrow too much :confused:.
haha....but you've achieved what you wanted in the end :)

impala67
Work still wanted to pay half my wage!
good job and good family! Will definitely think about this buffer business and maybe even income protection though it seems to go against the grain...
Will check out your thread.

Alex P Keaton - still waiting for link!

Cheers
wattle

My biggest mistake is spending the last 2 years spending everything I earn, buying a brand new car that costs me $190 per fortnight in repayments (and will for the next few years) instead of saving a deposit to get into the property market before the current boom haha. Will get that deposit later this year, but I feel like it might be a little too late for this cycle. :(

My biggest mistake is spending the last 2 years spending everything I earn, buying a brand new car that costs me $190 per fortnight in repayments (and will for the next few years) instead of saving a deposit to get into the property market before the current boom haha. Will get that deposit later this year, but I feel like it might be a little too late for this cycle. :(

It seems this way from the price some vendors are asking - about 10% above comparable market value. I have noticed this for Carina. However, with all the hype and predictions of Brisbane being the place to invest this year, vendors are getting extortionate. Well, they can ask, I can refuse! :rolleyes:

Back