I question 'Reputation'

BV
Does that black dot mean you have opted out of the reputation system? Now what will I read into that! Best you tell me before I jump to conclusions.

skater said:
I'm still unclear on the whole reputation thing. How do you know what thread people have given you a vote for? Do you know who voted? Not sure if it is a positive or a negitive thing to have in the forum. Only time will tell.

I'm with you on this. I've been clicking around trying to work out which threads I got votes for but I can only find a total. Is there somewhere that says which threads got what? In my CP User page it lists 1 thread with 12 points total beside it - does this mean my points all relate to that 1 thread (or is that just the last post I started - which it is btw)? And if other threads had attracted points they would be listed too? :confused:

You say that reputation points can be seen as series of dots - I've looked at my last few posts (including the one mentioned in my CP User page) and I can't see dots. How do I find where my dots are please Sim? :)

I don't think we have to know who voted for or against us but I'd like to know what attracted + or - votes - after all that's part of a learning curve too isn't it - being critiqued - although without a comment it's left to yourself to work out why.

Cheers
Olly dot com au :D

Thommo

I don't know how this setting got dissabled.
I saw Aceys box was dissabled too
perhaps its an admin thing.

I enabled reputation voting though, "just for you"
My reputation suffers more from all the assumptions
you make.

You throw rocks all the time but I don't remember
throwing rocks in your direction.

Vote away...... :)

Dear guys,

Remember not to become personal.

You can see the reputation threads if you go into User CP and scroll down to the bottom.

Some reputations were changed to grey. You can change this back by going into your personal settings and selecting "Show reputation".

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Thommo said:
BV
Does that black dot mean you have opted out of the reputation system? Now what will I read into that! Best you tell me before I jump to conclusions.
I think that the dots were turned black for everybody, and you have to explicitly turn the option back on if you want it.:eek:

Comment on reputation

Dear Sim

I met you at the Sydney Picnic and it was clear that without the IT people like you the forum would not even exist. The new layout is very good and a fair bit simpler for us IT boffins. Your efforts, to keep alive one of the best, if not THE best, free property info exchange site is without question and I personally thank you very much

At the picnic we discussed the opportunity for reputation to be abused and it would appear from the above feedback many others are concerned.

I just saw mine (it is 12). I don't know if that is good, average, whatever. I assume good but I realize that it would be very easy for me to get others to vote and via versa if I wanted to built it. That does not interest me but it greatly concerns me someone might use reputation to gain advantage and in doing so, damage/threaten the forum's reputation. I also believe in the freedom of speech and that includes the right to be stupid. Forums need all types to bring out the best. To advise Newbie’s someone has no merit, via reputation, up front is censorship based on the voters personal viewpoint.

I heard that pre Sept 11 some professional guy submitted a report trying to tell the USA the a plane attack on a building was very real. He was told to go away as a nutter because the idea was so unbelievable. His reputation colored peoples thinking about this risk, to the world’s detriment.

Any element that conditions a viewers understanding that is open to manipulation is simply not a good thing. Also I believe it is part of the learning process for Newbies to sort out the "Wheat from the Chaff".

I don't know the solution but I sure with feedback you will andothers will be able to provide one. FYI as a start I did appreciate the comments from two recent reputation votes on my post re Financial Literacy because my comments were personal here.

I understand criticism can be personal but it is only because the forum sets such a high standard. Personally I provide Facility Maintenance Services for Public Servants. They are uber critical and some are Psychos!!! I know I have the managers 100% happy and still 5 or so staff truly believe my management/skills/fees are a complete waste of time because everything is not perfect, all the time. You just got to accept the criticism and sometimes, even the psycho have a point.

The Forum is great and whilst the intent of reputation is admirable the basis of it is flawed.

Regards Peter 147 :)

Reactions: ani
Sim,

I am surprised Astroboy got so many -ve votes.

Perhaps you can keep an eye out for people
who abuse the system and give them back some of their -ve votes.

Actually BV, the last time I checked Astro's status he was back up to 10 (where everyone starts) - so he has had plenty of positive votes as well.

He really didn't go that low ... it was my accidental -10 vote that caused him to get into the negatives as I've already explained.

Firstly I'd like to say that EVERYONE CARES what others think of them.
We are human ... well most of us here anyway. Someone told me that we humans regardless of our image, status, intelligence, etc are just big balls of emotion. That quote sticks with me. It is what all the books and lectures on negotiating, marriage counselling, dealing with "people" and whatever are based on.

Some have stated that they don't care, perhaps they mean it's not a priority in their minds when posting something.

Sim perhaps we are like children in the playground, the ground has been extended and we have never left school. Certainly I've seen enough evidence of it, but it keeps everything interesting doesn't it. In your intro post for the reputation system I asked if some could abuse it, I still think it's way too early to see if there will be a benefit. I must say I prefer the idea of positive only votes, the lack of them would give the same message to members without the stigma of negativity.

After all this I actually checked my rep ... it's healthy enough.
Then I saw the option for "show" my rep.
Will this show my rep number or enable my green dot to be seen by others ?
It was not ticked by default, so I ticked it now. Will "I" see a difference ?

How many have ticked the "show" box ?

There always has been a reputation system in place .. It didnt take me long to figure out whose posts to read or ignore . Once a week/fortnight (ish) I do a search on the most recent posts from certain people .. people whose views im am interested in and that I value. I only ever had one person on an ignore list at one stage, then took them off because it was actually refreshingly funny to read their posts.

I dont think we need to mark negative repoutation points against anyone. If you are a regular reader, you know who to take with a grain of salt.

As mentioned before, if you really need to rate people, then only allow positives. The other thing is, maybe you need to rack up a certain number of posts before you can rate someone, or be a member for a certain amount of time.

I think rating the posts themselves is more useful btw.

I noticed that there are plenty of people who are "On a distinguished road". Even a few who have never made a single post.

Personally I like the idea of rating threads more. If only more people would actually use it.

This is a complex issue because we are complex human beings.

I think I would be offended if I received a negative vote without the explanation - I'm all for constructive feedback because if we take it on board we become better people (that's the theory anyway). If I received a negative vote without a comment or the thread it related to I think I may become a tad paranoid......not a good thing and generally not in my nature. :confused:

I also think that those people who have opted out of the rep system shouldn't really have the right to give other people a vote - you know what's good for the goose and all that.... :)

It will be interesting to watch....

Cheers
Ecogirl :)

PT_Bear said:
I noticed that there are plenty of people who are "On a distinguished road". Even a few who have never made a single post.

As some are aware , there are actually two communities on somersoft. There's the forum , and then there's the chat room .

I suspect that some of the votes for people with a minimal presence on the forum have been given as defacto votes for help given in the Chat room.

See Change

Know No Worries

Sorry i have not read all the posts on this subject.

I don't really care what my rating is or how to manipulate it. I just post what i have learnt & what I feel. I don't require build up of reputation. If what i do is successful for MY life ; then who gives a rat's ar--.

No matter where you go or what you do you will never get everyone to luv you.

We are fortunate to have this forum available and Sim there to keep it up dated to the latest technology.

It is basically a Free Speach system where we can all exchange ideas & opinions. A system that this country allows.

So at the end of the day lets just All appreciate what we have.

Happy Investing.

Gee Cee :(

Thanks Gee Cee.

My point of view on the whole reputation thing is that it is an interesting sideline to the core point of the forum - and we should not forget why we are here and get all caught up in what is a relatively trivial function of the software we are using.

If people don't like the concept - opt out - otherwise, let it run and see how it goes.

Reactions: sbe
Back