I quit my job today......................

GG,

have you considered importing bikes/parts and selling them on? A lot of cycling folk order parts from overseas as it is .. I am sure that by offering some markup and "delivery tomorrow" rather than "delivery in six weeks" you could make a little money.

There are a lot of "repeat sellers" on ebay - I'm sure there's a few people already buying cheap gear OS and turning it around on ebay. Could be worth investigating?

And if you're into cycling you probably know 9/10s of the lingo, and some of the market already.

Fiscal fitness and physical fitness are very correlated. From personal experience - doing well in racing usually equals doing well (and happy) in the rest of my life.

With cycle parts - one NZ store usually gets it to you within two days. If you could challenge them and the big UK one you could do quite well.

it seems that most people who decide to quit their job have a plan in mind of what they're going to do if they go out on their own. Even a bit of an inkling. EG: Steal the old boss's clients who you got along with

Here you talk about planting lavendar - or is it lavender? 2 different things - but anyway...

You're now a bit down the track, working part time somewhere and still havent figured out what you're going to do.

While I can understand that some people are better to work for themselves... but in what I've read so far, you are at a stage in life where you need to decide what you're going to do and do it quickly.

Your wife worrying about money and trying to respect you while you're getting your act together is not a good mix.

While the rest may not say it and wish you well, I'm sure none of them want to see you on SS posting drivel about how hard life is a few months down the track either

My thinking is if you're kind of a 'normal' joe schmoe and not a kazillionaire, you need to get the business moving, or go to work full time. But kazillionaires dont plant the crops themselves either.

You've got a family looking at you for leadership, and a future to build on.

Get on with it or you'll suddenly find yourself obsolete.

For the record, I would rather see you achieve - dont let it fall through your fingers

Last edited:
Hi All

Well were am I at tonight, one my second glass of red ;)

Learn someting new everyday, I am :)

Thank you all so much to all the support and advice you guys give, no amount of money could "buy" a community like Somersoft.

Question: How do i clear / clense my mind and body ? I don't mean spiritural. I have all this info in my mind from my "previous life" I want to pack it away in a little glass box in the back of my mind. (break glass if needed)

Am i making any sense here?

I want to save all the data on a memory stick and format my "hard drive"

I need a clear mind to go forward :)

Maybe this bottle of red is not helping ;)

GG

Hey GG, you have answered your own question. A life coach might talk you through a visualisation excercise in which you visualise those things you wish to "save to your USB" being packed away in a box and a lid being put on the box and it being stored for later retrieval.
In Asians cultures, it is common for problems to be compartmentalised and addressed one at a time. This is an extension of that very powerful concept.
Or you could just crack another bottle of red. That works, too :)

it seems that most people who decide to quit their job have a plan in mind of what they're going to do if they go out on their own. Even a bit of an inkling. EG: Steal the old boss's clients who you got along with

Here you talk about planting lavendar - or is it lavender? 2 different things - but anyway...

You're now a bit down the track, working part time somewhere and still havent figured out what you're going to do.

While I can understand that some people are better to work for themselves... but in what I've read so far, you are at a stage in life where you need to decide what you're going to do and do it quickly.

Your wife worrying about money and trying to respect you while you're getting your act together is not a good mix.

While the rest may not say it and wish you well, I'm sure none of them want to see you on SS posting drivel about how hard life is a few months down the track either

My thinking is if you're kind of a 'normal' joe schmoe and not a kazillionaire, you need to get the business moving, or go to work full time. But kazillionaires dont plant the crops themselves either.

You've got a family looking at you for leadership, and a future to build on.

Get on with it or you'll suddenly find yourself obsolete.

For the record, I would rather see you achieve - dont let it fall through your fingers

Saint, thankyou for that slap in the face. I have printed it out and put it onto the fridge...............

I agree with what you have said, I already knew all that but it it is good for someone to put it into words.

GG

I vote for the red too - tomorrow I will join you in a glass or two as I think I will be in a completely different dilemma - weighing up which of 2 job offers to accept, well I have one offer already and a second interview tomorrow which I think will also result in an offer.

I vote for the red too - tomorrow I will join you in a glass or two as I think I will be in a completely different dilemma - weighing up which of 2 job offers to accept, well I have one offer already and a second interview tomorrow which I think will also result in an offer.

Goodluck sparky :)

GG

Well he managed to fail his driving test for the second time, he is going again next Monday. First time he went 3kms over the limit in a school zone which was his only mistake so I thought it was a bit harsh to fail him! Hoping to find a cheap but not death trap car for him to help in his cause to find a job now that a few commissions are coming through.

How is the reno you must be finished by now and looking for the next one?

OOps here we go taking over other peoples threads again - sorry Gordon!

OOps here we go taking over other peoples threads again - sorry Gordon!

GG is too busy with his bottle of red :)
Reno almost done. It's on RE.com for rent as of yesterday and I've got 10 people booked for an open tomorrow. Should have a signed lease very soon.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=403936289&f=0&p=10&t=ren&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=22716605&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1242735949
I'll have a rest for a while before the next one. Then again, I always say that ..
Hope the next driving test is a winner. Let us know how it goes.

you are at a stage in life where you need to decide what you're going to do and do it quickly.

Your wife worrying about money and trying to respect you while you're getting your act together is not a good mix. ... You've got a family looking at you for leadership, and a future to build on.
Harsh, but wise (as you've recognised).
Question: How do i clear / clense my mind and body ? I don't mean spiritural. I have all this info in my mind from my "previous life" I want to pack it away in a little glass box in the back of my mind. (break glass if needed)
I highly recommend Expressive Therapies. There's a practitioner on Philip Island. I'd definitely recommend making the drive. The practitioner will figure out which method - working in sand, writing, drawing, etc - works best for you, in drawing out what's going on for you, and how to heal yourself. Seriously, regular posters will know that I'm pretty straightforward and a big skeptic of alternative medicine, etc - I admit this sounded pretty fruitcakey to me when it was recommended :D - but I am open-minded, and found it extremely valuable for letting go of "stuff" that I no longer needed.

Hi All,

Dropped the kids off to school this morning and went for a walk thru town. I have found a business for sale that ticks a lot of boxes but not all of them.

It's a Pizza / Pasta / Cafe................. My wife and I understand what work goes into one of these places as we have worked in a friends shop.

We both love to cook and are very good at it.

Does anybody have any experiences with these shops?

GG

Being good is ok. People will only deal with people who they know, like and trust. If you buy an existing business, the public may not know this. So you need to make sure they have a great reputation and product.

One business that you might want to look into is packaging. I.e. sell the plastic bags to coles/detmold coffee stuff to coffee shops, cardboard boxes to takeaway joints etc. Low startup outlays and you can make insane returns if you're prepared to do some very hard hards.

Hi GG,

It's a Pizza / Pasta / Cafe

The idea of this type of business is very romantic, and can work well with lots of effort. Beware however that your time will disappear, especially evenings and weekends. Holiday times (kids off school) is your busy time.

We have been in a business that took weekends, makes it hard on children, especially if you are out of town a bit.

As this is one of the possible businesses for you, do what was suggested earlier, write a list of your expectations, include pros and cons, go through it with wife.

good luck.

bye

You are here because you obviously love property and you love selling. Why dont you get into selling real estate? There are pockets that are booming right now, Im always seeing ads in the paper looking for staff, some dont even require experience. My hubby had a pizza shop, didnt do too badly but there were times when he would be anxiously waiting for customers! Sold it so we could get married and have a deposit to buy a house.

Hi Guys,

As i mentioned before, The Cafe idea ticks lots of boxes but it doesn't tick the most import box, lifestyle with my family, which is the reason we moved onto 6 acres......

Just writing down my thoughts. I hope this thread helps others in the future to find theri dreams.

GG

GG is too busy with his bottle of red :)
Reno almost done. It's on RE.com for rent as of yesterday and I've got 10 people booked for an open tomorrow. Should have a signed lease very soon.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=403936289&f=0&p=10&t=ren&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=22716605&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1242735949
I'll have a rest for a while before the next one. Then again, I always say that ..
Hope the next driving test is a winner. Let us know how it goes.

Congrats on the reno - how did the viewings go?

Congrats on the reno - how did the viewings go?

3 couples turned up. Couple of no shows and a few rescheduled for the weekend. So, it's looking positive, given it's early days yet.
I'm looking forward to getting it sorted so I can get some time back for myself. I've put a lot effort into this one. I think it was the big muck around with the banks trying to get finance sorted that took the fun out of it and put me behind schedule.
Not to worry .. onward we go.

Back