I want to Break Lease for Place I Rent But...

please explain where I had not done the same as PT Bear?

You agreed to pay letting & advertising fees. In our case we just agreed to pay the rent for the remainder of the fixed tenancy. We paid the rent in advance and they were legally obligated to return our bond.

Don't every try cover rent or other costs with the bond after you've left. That's not what it's for. Tenants should always behave in a manner so they can expect to get their bond back - even if they're just handing over the last months rent then getting a similar amount back to them. Landlords should always expect to receive rent so they've got the bond to fall back on if the house is a mess.

It was 12 (happily married) years ago, but I vaguely recall we weren't bothered if they didn't find a tenant before the end of the lease. They didn't advertise until after Mrs Bear had moved out.

You agreed to pay letting & advertising fees. In our case we just agreed to pay the rent for the remainder of the fixed tenancy. We paid the rent in advance and they were legally obligated to return our bond..

I agree with everything you say and how you done it but I have also agreed to this as well and I have even gone one better from the agents perspective as I have also agreed to pay a weeks rent for advertising as I thought that was the standard thing to do. So to sum it up. I have to pay one weeks rent for advertising even though they did not advertise for about 10 days after I asked them to and only when I got on their back about it. I also have to pay all my rent right up till the end of the lease (end of March). They said they would pay me back IF they get a tenant in before my lease ends.

Edit: plus they have put the rent up by about 25% so I guess if they don't get this outrageous rent they are asking for then it's no problem for them as they will drop the asking rent when my lease has expired and advertise it for the market rate. I also won't know if they have a tenant in place anyway so they could quite easily say they only got a tenant in after my lease expired and be claiming two rental incomes as I won't be here to know. I'm not saying they would do this but from the way they have acted it would not surprise me at all.

A 25% increase in 6 months seems excessive. I don't see why you should pay the letting fee either.

I hate the tenants union, but I'd be giving them a call if I were you.

A 25% increase in 6 months seems excessive. I don't see why you should pay the letting fee either.

I hate the tenants union, but I'd be giving them a call if I were you.

I never heard of them but I will get onto that in the morning, thanks a lot.

I also would never want to go this way either as I tried to be fair about this and they are the ones who are taking advantage of me here. As a landlord myself I respect my tenants and treat them well.

Two different tenants are now my best friends so that should say something on how I look after my own tenants.

Back