i want your land

the IP I have has a 'battleaxe' block behind it. The driveway to this block is wider than normal (6.5m) for about the first 10m from the street.

I am thinking of developing my block & that extra 2m x 10m wide strip from their driveway would be very handy (my 14.5m frontage becomes 16.5m..).

Whats the best way to go about asking if I can buy it off them?
Knock on their door & introduce myself, write a letter?

The block is in Edgecumbe st. Como WA (northern end) & I'm guessing this 20m2 strip of driveway could be worth 10 to $20,000, I would really appreciate locals opinions on this.

If the owners were keen, what should be my plan of action? :confused:

I'm not a local so I can't make any comments from that perspective.

However with any negotiation you've got to go in prepared on what you want to offer. How much do you want to buy the land for?
Keep in mind that they would not be motivated to sell so the only thing that can convince them to sell with the price.
This is where you sit down and work out the highest price you're willing to pay while still making a profit.

Then go and knock on the door and make them an offer - leave your name and phone number so I can call you back if they are willing to accept.

Also I would assume that Boundry lines may need to be shifted - so this also needs to be factored in as a cost.

Not forgetting that they might see it as 'If I sell I have to put up with a development at the front of my house, if I don't sell I can put a stop to it."

I don't know what sort of development you're talking (units) but this line of thought may come into play???

thanks for the reply, I'm not sure what I would want to buy it for - yet.

I've never seen them use the land, but yeah I know my offer would have to be very attractive for them to be interested - rightly so.

and yes boundaries would need to be moved & I have no idea on council costs etc - I assume I would have to get both blocks resurveyed (just to do mine is about $750), so maybe $1500 for both.

cheers

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 84
Not forgetting that they might see it as 'If I sell I have to put up with a development at the front of my house, if I don't sell I can put a stop to it."

I don't know what sort of development you're talking (units) but this line of thought may come into play???

I think they would welcome the development (new single house, great neighbours :) )

the streetscape would be a big improvement on whats there now.

Also me not getting the land would not stop the 'development'

thanks for the opinion - good stuff people!

I think they would welcome the development (new single house, great neighbours :) )

Have you developed before? Not sure I have ever heard this line from a neighbour... o_O

the streetscape would be a big improvement on whats there now.

Also me not getting the land would not stop the 'development'

And this is always the view of us developers.

I think you need to have a chat with them keeping a real positive but open mind and see what comes out of the discussion.

no I havent developed before, but the existing house is a 1955 built (with quite a bit of modernisation) - dump.

its one of, if not, the worst house in the street!

cheers

do you know the r code zoning?

you will have to find out the minimum lot size allowed and then figure our if reducing the rear lots land size by 20 square metres will be allowed.

no I havent developed before, but the existing house is a 1955 built (with quite a bit of modernisation) - dump.

its one of, if not, the worst house in the street!

cheers

Hopefully, the neighbours are fantastic to you and the proposed development.
The worst house in the street is always a good buy :)

the IP I have has a 'battleaxe' block behind it. The driveway to this block is wider than normal (6.5m) for about the first 10m from the street.

I am thinking of developing my block & that extra 2m x 10m wide strip from their driveway would be very handy (my 14.5m frontage becomes 16.5m..).

Whats the best way to go about asking if I can buy it off them?
Knock on their door & introduce myself, write a letter?

The block is in Edgecumbe st. Como WA (northern end) & I'm guessing this 20m2 strip of driveway could be worth 10 to $20,000, I would really appreciate locals opinions on this.

If the owners were keen, what should be my plan of action? :confused:

Carrot,

I don't think you mean to use the word development here.

On your IP block you want to demolish the current single house and replace it with another single house - yes?

In which case the other owner may be amenable to it.

If they are for it then a surveyor could handle the resurvey and transfer of land.

yes, you are right, its not a multi-unit development - just a demo/rebuild. ( I did have development in ' ' in one of my replies :eek: )

I'm sure the neighbours would be fine with it - I'm not even planning to go 2 storey.

Thats great info that a surveyor could handle it all, now I just need to work out what the land is worth - obviously to the owner, but if the usual $1000+/sq m for Como is valid in this instance.

thanks

From the looks of it, the additional width at the front the block may have been a subdivision requirement allowing a passing lane and may not be able to be removed under the terms the original subdivision. A town planner and surveyor should be able to assist in this matter.

i dont think so, there is only 1 house on the subdivision/battle axe block.
I've seen plenty of other similar blocks that don't have it.

The original owners of the BA block have moved on, but you make a valid point worth considering.

thanks

Back