If a meteor hits your house is it yours?

this seems to explain who the rightful owner would be

"The U.S. courts have ruled that a meteorite becomes part of the land where it arrives through 'natural cause' and hence the property of the landowner," the e-mail said.

Meteorites have been the subject of legal disputes before. In the early 1900s, the Oregon Supreme Court ruled a 15-ton meteorite belonged to the landowner on whose property it likely landed, not the person who found it.

So it's the landowner who has the rightful claim to the rock as far as the laws concerned...

reading the article the rock hit where the guy normally sits.

If the the insurance company pays for repairs could they then
claim that the meteor is now theirs?

what about if oil bubbles up from underneath your house......
does the property owner own the oil?
what about if you dig a hole 100 metres under your house and find gold. Do you own it?
am I allowed to dig a hole 100 metres on my own property, say 200 acres, without a mining lease?

what about if you dig a hole 100 metres under your house and find gold. Do you own it?
am I allowed to dig a hole 100 metres on my own property, say 200 acres, without a mining lease?

it's abit of a grey area I believe

I thought when you buy land, you don't own anything lower than a couple of metres or so below the ground; After that being government property where things like pipes and cables go. Similiarly for the sky above your land.

Back