If you got sent the wrong item (but a much better item) would you return it?

Should I keep it or return it?

• Keep it (finders keepers)

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Return it (yes I have a conscience)

Votes: 31 67.4%

• Total voters
LOL, I too, was wondering "What's a pop?"

It is pop in Canada, soda in USA, and lemonade/ soft drink in Australia.
We always get Root Beer, as Rob thinks its the best tasting pop.Similar to your Sasparilla.(sp?)

Just like it is ketchup here and not tomato sauce. Tomato sauce is something completely different.

The seller rang up & the other buyer had rang him pissed off after receiving the wrong item, & the seller wanted the camera back. I was tempted to keep it, but my conscience got the better of me as I'm a honest person. The seller will throw in a bonus for me & reimburse my postage costs to send it back. Would've been nice to keep the item, but the guilt factor would've haunted me - maybe Karma may swing back this time for me :)

You were tempted to keep it??? Really???

You would have had Ebay chasing you (or Paypal).

My guess was that this was what happened. My hubby buys and sells regularly on Ebay. Mistakes happen. He has had very few problems really. He bought an item and received the wrong one (cheaper brand). He paid by Paypal. He tried to contact the owner but the number was a friends mobile. After many attempts at calling and Emailing he contacted Paypal. They reimbursed his money. After many more phone calls and Emails he couldn't contact the seller (he wanted to know where to return the wrong item). Then the sellers Ebay account was deregistered.

Well, no-one can say he didn't try.

Or 'fizzy drink' if you are my Gran from England.

Here's a question, what do you guys call thongs? ('jandals' in England, 'flip flops' in NZ - or could be the other way round :p)

Thongs are the underwear with the very thin strip of material in the behind.
What you call thongs, we call flip flops.

So, what do you call that type of underwear?

Thongs are the underwear with the very thin strip of material in the behind.
What you call thongs, we call flip flops.

So, what do you call that type of underwear?

G string ! but thong's catching on here to these days . Spose we'll have to start being careful soon asking for thongs - flip flops

Cheers

It's the lawyers that can't be trusted because they are the ones assuming nobody can be trusted.
I've done many handshake deals, but never with a lawyer.
A lawyer would generally never believe that a person would keep his word if a significant sum was at stake.

I may be in the minority - I do trust some people- but if there is a "significant sum" involved I would not be proceeding by way of handshake.

Back on track, if I may.

I recall a similar discussion on here in the dim dark past(29/05/2007) which I quote below. Just substitute the figures for your item.

Our Bank has kindly lent us an extra $250,000.
I mean, $250,000 more than they approved, $250,000 more than the mortgage documents, $250,000 more than the valuation and security with an LVR of 188%.

My answer:

I think herein lies the rub. If you buy some thing from a shop and you are given more change than you should get, do you do the right thing and give it back????

If something is wrong, it is wrong and I think that it is incumbent upon us all, as honourable and morally well adjusted people to do the right thing.

If they had only allowed you $125K, would you have been this long pondering your options.........me thinks not!!

I find it rather disappointing that so many people on this forum would council you to somehow keep what is not yours to keep, and I fear that sometime or other this thing will bite you on the bum and cost you a lot more than it is worth.

It aint yours.

Give it back.

Karma is a wonderful leveler.

Yeh, I know it is only $350 but it is not yours. Give it back. At least try to do the right thing, it feels good when you do.

The scary thing is that 28% of, what surely must be above average intelligent, people are fundimentally dishonest. Disappointing people, disappointing.

God, I must be getting old.

Your call.

Chrisv.

i totally agree with not 2 l8. by keeping something that you haven't paid for is not much higher up the food chain from stealing. how many sales would the vendor have to make to cover the extra cost of you "keeping" the item.

i am a believer in karma - but also believe that if there was more honesty nd good faith in this world it would be a much better place. to many people are chasing the "what's in it for me" - not enough "what can i do for others".

It's very easy to say how honest you are and how you wouldn't do anything wrong because of karma, etc, etc...but when faced with the same circumstances I'm sure you would take the money/item and run :cool:

It's very easy to say how honest you are and how you wouldn't do anything wrong because of karma, etc, etc...but when faced with the same circumstances I'm sure you would take the money/item and run :cool:

I don't think you have been paying attention to most of the answers from most of us...... :rolleyes:

Also disappointed to see that so many people here are dishonest.

If you receive a delivery of product by accident which was addressed to somebody else, it would be a case of fraud if you kept it and said nothing.

This case is not exactly the same, but it has similarities.

nope ... was walking past a cash machine a while back. girl raced into the bank and forgot to take her money out of the machine. i plucked out the $400, followed her in and gave it to her.

would've been easy to have grabbed it and kept walking - but i am not that sort of person.

but when faced with the same circumstances I'm sure you would take the money/item and run :cool:

That's not true, I know I would definately never steal (deliberately or their mistake) from an individual or small business. Although I'm not going to make out I'm perfect, if it comes to a large corporation and they stuff up, I'll admit I'll take the error and run with it.

The police do see alot of dishonest people everyday.

The police also see lots of honest people, who do things like hand in valuable items in good condition which they have found, such as wallets with cash & cards in them, sunglasses, phones, watches, jewelry etc.

I don't think any one of the Fuzz would assume that all people are thieves :confused:

return it

Hello,

Just received an item I paid $350 for off Ebay, but the item I received was the wrong item; but it turns out it is a better item which costs around $700 to buy - the question is: would you return the item & get the original item at $350 that you paid for, or think - you the seller stuffed up, not my problem - I'm keeping the more expensive item? Does the seller have any recourse through Ebay or otherwise to force me to return the more expensive item?

Karma, you have to live with it. You dont know what their situation is, might be single parent struggling. I think the not my problem attitude sucks, if we dont care about our fellow man kind, what sort of hole of a world do we live in. Do the right thing and return it, though they should be paying for the return delivery and the delivery of the item that you actually bought. If you keep it, I hope something similar doesnt happen to you or the people you love.

Back