Illegal to raise rent because of pets?

Yes I think my PM was talking too quickly!

It was like this: I advertised the ad $400 pet friendly. Someone put in an application for $370. I guessed if they have a pet I will increase it (part of the negotiations)
but my PM was like 'no no that's illegal to increase because of pets'

I was like 'what the ....?'

I think your agent means the illegal bit is saying you want more money because they have pets. Asking for more money without saying anything is not an issue.

You don't need to tell them you're raising because of the pets. They're offering less than you're asking anyway, so if you want to meet halfway, just do it without saying why.

It was like this: I advertised the ad $400 pet friendly. Someone put in an application for $370. I guessed if they have a pet I will increase it (part of the negotiations)

Bit cheeky putting in an application for $370 for a house advertised at $400. I've never had that happen, but maybe it is only worth $370???

Did the agent suggest you grab this offer of $370 because it is the only one, or because it really isn't worth $400?

This is very peculiar. I think Consumer and Business Affairs told me once verbally that in SA a pet bond does not exist - you can't actually ask for a pet bond.

I think you should contact Consumer and Business Affairs and ask directly.

I don't think it's legal either.

The other thing is if you feel a property is worth more for allowing a pet then demand more (or raise the rent accordingly when you are next legally able to).

No need to say it's because of the pets.

That said, I allow pets and am more wary of people - prefer smaller families - and I don't charge a higher rent for pets.

I have seen the damage done by children in two properties now so I try to only rent to pet lovers - mostly dogs as I am a dog lover. But then I have had some great tenants that have kids.

I always advertise my properties for the top amount of rent compared to properties in the area and no one has tried to negotiate down.

With your applicant it probably depends on if there were any others applying offering higher rent, what other properties in the area rent for, what was the property renting for before.

Just make sure your negotiation doesn't includes words like "because they have a pet" then you should be ok. And ensure the lease has the relevant clauses for the property to be cleaned and pest control done on vacating.

Back