I'm being eaten alive by Midges/Sand Flies - help!

Hi All,

I've been in my new home in Cairns for a bit over a week now and it would appear I'm really allergic to midge bites and our house backs on to a tidal Mangrove swamp.... :rolleyes:

It factored into my thinking when we bought the place and I grew up with midges on the north coast of nsw with not too much of an issue with the bites but it would appear my years in Melbourne has meant I've lost my tolerance to them - if that's even possible. Without going into all the gory details I react pretty badly and it's not much fun.

I've done some research and tried a lot of different things but nothing seems to be really working. I've been taking high doses of B1 vitamins for the past week and a half, antihistamines which has taken the edge off, sleeping with a citronella candle by my bedside, one of those mortein wall plug in pest things, 80% deet bug repellant, mosquito coils, sleeping with the fan on.... and the list goes on. While some of these have worked a bit, I find I'm still being bitten. All this is happening inside as well as I'm fairly sure they can fit through the fly screen.

Does anyone have any ideas of anything else I can try? It's doing my head in and I'm afraid that I'm going to go into anaphylactic shock if I don't get this sorted...

TIA.

Hi Kesse

Early morning or dusk seem to be worst, covering up has been the best option, but when they are so thick your inhaling them then and they are in attack mode nothing seems to work :(

For light to medium attacks we've had joy with a mixture of Baby Oil and Dettol or Listerine to repel Mossies and Sandflies

Good luck

Do you have midge mesh in your flyscreens.? It is much finer than standard mesh... Now for the shameless plug :cool: I sell flyscreen mesh...so if you are interested in a sample PM me and I will give you a good deal :)

I really feel for you - I welt really badly with even just one bite itching madly for up to 5-6 days.

Was a contentious issue with my ex - who was a keen hiker into remote areas filled with sandflies - he would get really cranky because I'd hide inside the huts/tents on arrival or started refusing to go. To someone who doesn't suffer the itch just doesn't understand the agony of it.

I'm also allergic to mosquitos and bee's - so be aware of the bee factor as it may be related.

I have no advice other than suggest you contact Mojo regarding the sandfly mesh ... or rent out your house and move to a sandfly free zone.

Run hot water over the bites. It opens them up, disinfects them and releases out the junk they put inside you.

Try using a pedestal fan. They can't fly straight if its windy ;)

Try making one of these http://hubpages.com/hub/DIY-Mosquito-and-Gnat-Trap-that-Works

Haven't tried the hot water yet as any kind of heat makes the itching worse but if it draws out the venom (? - bite juices) I'll give it a go. I've had the ceiling fan on but might have to get a pedestal fan, just doesn't feel right sleeping with a doona on in Cairns because I'm cold! Will try the trap as well.

Some good info there. I'm hoping over time I will be able to build up tolerance. Only concerning bit is they say it doesn't work when there's swelling involved where for me, the whole area swells up where there's bites.

Hi Kesse

Early morning or dusk seem to be worst, covering up has been the best option, but when they are so thick your inhaling them then and they are in attack mode nothing seems to work :(

For light to medium attacks we've had joy with a mixture of Baby Oil and Dettol or Listerine to repel Mossies and Sandflies

Good luck

Yep, definitely the worst times. I stay inside during those times with everything shut. With the baby oil and dettol/listerine - is that something I apply on myself? I would like some kind of natural solution because I really don't like having to use all these chemicals, and especially putting them on my skin. I'm sure long term that would be more detrimental than the bites themselves.

Do you have midge mesh in your flyscreens.? It is much finer than standard mesh... Now for the shameless plug :cool: I sell flyscreen mesh...so if you are interested in a sample PM me and I will give you a good deal :)

PM coming your way. I just have the stock standard mesh and considered the finer stuff as it's no fun closing the doors and windows and being stuck in a stuff house.

Thanks for the link, I'll contact the council and have a chat to them about it.

I really feel for you - I welt really badly with even just one bite itching madly for up to 5-6 days.

Was a contentious issue with my ex - who was a keen hiker into remote areas filled with sandflies - he would get really cranky because I'd hide inside the huts/tents on arrival or started refusing to go. To someone who doesn't suffer the itch just doesn't understand the agony of it.

I'm also allergic to mosquitos and bee's - so be aware of the bee factor as it may be related.

I have no advice other than suggest you contact Mojo regarding the sandfly mesh ... or rent out your house and move to a sandfly free zone.

Cheers, it's really driving me nuts. I get welts at first but then most turn into gross blisters and the ones that don't just weep constantly. The itching and buring is like nothing I've experienced before! It's taking every ounce of self control not to rip my skin off!

Mosquitoes I seem to be ok with. I know bees and wasps I'm really allergic to though.

Moving will be the very last resort but is a consideration. This house is perfect as is the location and neighbourhood so I'm determined to sort this out! I love hiking and camping too....

Have hadbrilliant success withputting toothpaste on mozzie bites. We have heavy mosquito population and fights with greenies who reckon you cant spray because we are near pelican/swan breeding grounds and you kill off their food. Parks & Gardens spray with a cornflour type which the young eat and die but takes about 2 weeks as the adults die off naturally.

Have you tried tea tree oil ? I found this

<<To make this simple solution of insect repellent for the skin, all you'll need is a large misting spray bottle, 2 oz of organic tea tree oil, and some water. Pour the 2 ounces of organic tea tree oil into the spray bottle and fill the rest with water. Mist the solution onto the skin and rub in. Reapply as needed.>>

It seems that Tea Tree Oil will stop existing bites from itching as much if a stronger mixture is dabbed on the bite. May be worth a bottle if you haven't tried it :)

Kesse

That doesn't sound like a good intro to FNQ! Sounds like you are doing the right things though.

Have you tried Bushman's repellant? Anti-itch creams? Sleeping with air con on? (expensive but extremely effective). Putting a mossie/midge net over your bed? Clear your garden of tree fronds etc and make sure no water is lying around, other than the obvious, of course. It might be worth giving a good spray around the perimeter of the house, which is pretty much what council would do.

Please keep us posted on how you go with the council and what helps.

Cheers

Jen

Attachments

• MidgeFactSheet.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 197
Hi Kesse,
I take a garlic tablet each morning to ward off colds and flu.I lived in the bush for over 5 years and people were amazed how I never got bitten by anything.No scientific proof,however if you google you will find a lot of supporting evidence.It will not work overnight but if you start off by taking 2 a day and persist for at least 6 months to build up a resistance hopefully you will get results. Does'nt cost much so imho well worth a throw of the dice.

Bushman's is a great whiteboard cleaner also, better than anything I've seen- not sure what it does to your skin :eek:

Then again, just because something's a natural product does not mean it's always safe

Are the midgies seasonal or constant?

Last edited:
Have hadbrilliant success withputting toothpaste on mozzie bites. We have heavy mosquito population and fights with greenies who reckon you cant spray because we are near pelican/swan breeding grounds and you kill off their food. Parks & Gardens spray with a cornflour type which the young eat and die but takes about 2 weeks as the adults die off naturally.

Haven't tried the tooth paste. I have a antiseptic/anesthetic cream that I used that helps with the itching but I can imagine toothpaste would have a cooling effect.

Have you tried tea tree oil ? I found this

<<To make this simple solution of insect repellent for the skin, all you'll need is a large misting spray bottle, 2 oz of organic tea tree oil, and some water. Pour the 2 ounces of organic tea tree oil into the spray bottle and fill the rest with water. Mist the solution onto the skin and rub in. Reapply as needed.>>

It seems that Tea Tree Oil will stop existing bites from itching as much if a stronger mixture is dabbed on the bite. May be worth a bottle if you haven't tried it :)

Not like you've described. The cream mentioned above is a tea tree based cream but that sounds pretty good too as I don't mind the smell of the stuff.

Have you tried this

http://www.rid.com.au/

We used cover ourselves in this stuff when we lived on Groote Eylandt.

Not the rid brand, no. If the tea tree fails I'll give it a go.

Kesse

That doesn't sound like a good intro to FNQ! Sounds like you are doing the right things though.

Have you tried Bushman's repellant? Anti-itch creams? Sleeping with air con on? (expensive but extremely effective). Putting a mossie/midge net over your bed? Clear your garden of tree fronds etc and make sure no water is lying around, other than the obvious, of course. It might be worth giving a good spray around the perimeter of the house, which is pretty much what council would do.

Please keep us posted on how you go with the council and what helps.

Cheers

Jen

Bushmans is the 80% deet stuff I used. Sleep with the fan on, but not the air con - I'll try the pedestal fan first and see if that makes a difference because as you mentioned, air con is not cheap (and it's cold - I moved from melb to escape the cold!).

I'd like to leave spraying around the house as a last resort too as I have 2 dogs and don't want to harm them in any way with chemicals they might ingest. Especially my younger one who likes to pick up rocks and play with them.

I'll contact the council on monday and see if there's a course of action they usually take or any recommendations. I also need to find out when bin night is!

Hi Kesse,
I take a garlic tablet each morning to ward off colds and flu.I lived in the bush for over 5 years and people were amazed how I never got bitten by anything.No scientific proof,however if you google you will find a lot of supporting evidence.It will not work overnight but if you start off by taking 2 a day and persist for at least 6 months to build up a resistance hopefully you will get results. Does'nt cost much so imho well worth a throw of the dice.

Thanks for that, worth a try that's for sure.

Bushman's is a great whiteboard cleaner also, better than anything I've seen- not sure what it does to your skin :eek:

Then again, just because something's a natural products does not mean it's always safe also

Are the midgies seasonal or constant?

Ha, I'll remember that if I ever have a whiteboard to clean! Fair point about natural not being better too. I just don't want to do myself more harm than good.

From the reading I've done they're seasonal but in saying that, they're less active when temps are lower than 26 degrees which wouldn't be that often here, even during 'winter'.Also from the reading it seems their activity follows the lunar cycle being more active during a full moon. Haven't been here long enough to see that first hand though.

If you havent been there long, you might not know the cycles. We lived in surfers Paradise for 2 years and found midges were really bad in January, but at no other time of the year.

You do know you can set the air con to whatever temperature you like?

lol, I have heard that.... I assumed when Jen was recommending putting the air con on it was to drop the temp of the room so the midges are less active. If it was for air movement that's what the ceiling fan is for.

If you havent been there long, you might not know the cycles. We lived in surfers Paradise for 2 years and found midges were really bad in January, but at no other time of the year.

Hope so. From what I've heard from the locals though it's all year round. Hopefully during the dry season it lessons off a bit.

Back