Income protection insurance

Hi Forumites

I've been learning alot from this forum and did not feel the need to post anything until now. Just wanted to use this opportunity to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts openly.

After going through all the threads on income protection, I've decided that it is something that I need to look into as a property investor. So I started to get a few quotes and decided to go with a particular broker "A", who responded to my enquiries very promptly and I was satisfied with the service rendered. "A" put through my application with the insurance company and said that my application is pretty straight forward so there shouldn't be any issues. Couple of weeks later, I got a call from "A"'s boss "O", who owns the company, telling me that "A" has left the firm and "O" is now handling my application. The application was approved by the insurance company aside from the fact that a particular medical condition that I had when I was a child, would not be covered - which I was aware of. "O" said he needs me to sign on the Ammended Application in order to commence the income protection policy. At the same time, my work situation changed from full-time to part-time. I held back from activating this policy as my finances have changed dramatically and needed time to re-work the figures.

"O" kept hounding me to sign the Ammended Application and I had explained that I needed more time to think over, given my new finance situation. "O" said that even if I did not want to go through with this application, I will still have to pay the $xxxx service fee as "O" had done alot of work to get my application through. "O" also said that I had agreed to this as I've signed the original application - to which I cannot recall given the amount of stress that I am currently under.

Is "O" right and what should I do???

Ask "O" to send you a copy of where you signed to pay the service fee even if you did not go through with the policy.

If it is not forthcoming, suggest that "O" go reproduce with himself. ;)

have you signed anything? Have you received an invoice for payment for services rendered?

Several months ago a CBA broker wrote up some quotes for me after seeing them in regards to Income protection insurance. I said no thank you and that was the end of it.

What income protection threads? (I am curious, as I haven't seen any)

All the best on getting your issue resolved.

Hi Propertunity, thanks for advice. I'll ask "O" now.

Hi Jonril, I did not receive any invoice and don't remember signing anything.
What I meant about "income protection threads" is by typing "income protection insurance" in the seach function and reading anything relating to this topic. Thanks!

"O" kept hounding me to sign the Ammended Application and I had explained that I needed more time to think over, given my new finance situation. "O" said that even if I did not want to go through with this application, I will still have to pay the $xxxx service fee as "O" had done alot of work to get my application through. "O" also said that I had agreed to this as I've signed the original application - to which I cannot recall given the amount of stress that I am currently under.

Is "O" right and what should I do???

You would have been presented with several documents

Financial Services Guide (FSG). This is to detail their fees and schedule. You normally need to sign a form ACKNOWLEDGING you received it. The form you sign here is NOT a consent to be charged fees.

Statement of Advice (SoA), in this document outlines the commissions and fees that are received by the financial adviser / insurance broker.

Read through this document carefully, especially the fee section. It will note down what fees you are require to pay.

Some insurance brokers put sentence in here to the effects of "The plan preparation fee is $xxx, however we will waive this fee if you proceed with the application and are successful. However if you decline the insurance you will liable"

Look in particular for a note that says if you cancel the insurance within a certain period you will have to pay us xxx for the preparation of the plan.

Note: Service Fee = Plan Fee = Implementation Fee = whatever name they want to call it fee.

3rd document you would've signed would be the application and the health declaration.
Signing the actual insurance application does not constitute you paying a plan fee. Signing the SoA (mentioned above) does (provided the SoA even states the plan fee).

If there is no mention of the plan / implementation / service fee in the SoA you can tell to bugger off and threaten to report him to ASIC :)

Back