Increasing Portfolio

W

WebBoard

Investment Property now paid for.
Date: 12/11/99
Time: 8:24:57 AM

We decided to pay principal + interest and have now paid for one property. Should we sell it and purchase others, or keep it as capital gain is good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Les

Reply: 1

Re: Investment Property now paid for.
Time: 4:00:48 PM

G'day Janice,

Congratulations to both you and the other half of "we"!!! That is a great achievement in anyone's language.

"Should we sell it and purchase others?" is your question. I say NO! and Yes! DON'T SELL - if possible, never, ever sell it - but use the Equity you have built up in it to purchase others. i.e. borrow against the value in this property to provide either the full cost of another rental, or as a deposit on maybe 2 more.

As this whole scenario depends on a number of factors (e.g. your current wage(s), your years to retirement, the value of this property, the current state of the rental market in your area, your attitudes to more rentals, etc.) it is not possible to be any more specific with my answer. But you could check out some of the other entries in this forum - a recent one "Increasing portfolio" could have some pointers that you could use too, and there have been several others over the months.

Check with your accountant too - he or she may be able to give you some very meaningful pointers before embarking on the next leg of your wealth-building - ask particularly about legal Tax minimisation (you are then able to buy properties with "Before Tax" dollars, rather than "After Tax" dollars).

If you haven't already, check out Jan's books (see the links from the Home page). Her first one (exact name eludes me) is almost a "bible" re Rental houses. That one can give you a host of ideas before/as you continue on your Wealth-building journey. "101 Stories" is a great read too, telling stories of other Investors (their triumphs and failures) - allows us to learn from their mistakes without making them ourselves.

Les

Sue

Reply: 1.1

Re: Investment Property now paid for.
Time: 3:52:43 PM

Janice Never, Never Sell. You are in a great position to buy your next property, maybe even 2! If you haven't already read Jan's books, do so right away and all your questions will be answered.

Borrow against your house's equity to purchase at least one more house without even needing a deposit. The equity in your existing property plus 80% of the value of the new house will completely cover the security needed for the new loan.

You are at the first step of a fantastic journey to Financial Independence. Good Luck - Sue

Back