Info / Books About Development

Does anyone know of any good books or other info about developing land in Australia? say turning it into triplexes etc...

How did the developers on here learn at the beginning?

Cheers, MK

The Property Developmemt Process: Western Australia by H.L. Reynolds & P.L. (199 ISBN 0 646 35442 6
Greg Thompson
Property Development: A Beginners Guide
Dolf de Roos 101 Ways to Massively Increase the Value of Your Real Estate without Spending Much Money
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/sho....;threadid=5531
Allan Staines The Australian Renovator's Manual
John Makdessi The Home Builders & Renovators Survival Kit
Edward Mundie The Beginner Renovator
Paul Eslick The Investors Guide to Quick and Easy Renovations
Robert Irwin Find It, Buy It, Fix It: The Insider's Guide to Fixer-Uppers
Allan Staines How to be a Successful Owner Builder & Renovator
Carol Staines A Practical Guide to Interior Decorating
Allan Staines The Australian House Building Manual
Allan Staines The Australian Renovator's Manual

Website for Developers

Hi Michael,

You may find my website to be of interest, specifically created for people in your position (see the link below).

Cheers,
Matt

I knew I was missing a book after last move but couldn't remember details! I think it was one of these, thanks. I found it to be a good Australian guide! Will have to borrow from library. If this is the book it had tips on min room sizes, tips for floor design, orientation, cost saving ideas. Does it sound like one of these Geoff?

I'm not sure if it is- I can't find my copy.

There's two books- one is on developing generally, and one is more specifically on developing residential property.

Check out the contents on Amazon.com - you can preview for free.

I'd suggest that if you're thinking of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on developing, that you can probably afford to pay $17 for a Kindle book. You can download free reading apps for PC, iPhone or android.

I'm not sure if it is- I can't find my copy.

There's two books- one is on developing generally, and one is more specifically on developing residential property.

Check out the contents on Amazon.com - you can preview for free.

I'd suggest that if you're thinking of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on developing, that you can probably afford to pay $17 for a Kindle book. You can download free reading apps for PC, iPhone or android.

Maybe the books self-destruct after a period of time, better save an extra copy of the kindle version just in case.... ;)

I've got copies of my books on my PC, Kindle, iPhone and android tablet. Have I covered all bases?

Though if amazon pulls the plug on any kindle book I guess I've lost it, though I wouldn't have thought that would be very good for their business. The licence is supposed to be only to the purchaser for life- technically I could not gift Kindle books in my will.

I've got copies of my books on my PC, Kindle, iPhone and android tablet. Have I covered all bases?

Though if amazon pulls the plug on any kindle book I guess I've lost it, though I wouldn't have thought that would be very good for their business. The licence is supposed to be only to the purchaser for life- technically I could not gift Kindle books in my will.

Geoff I have not bought kindle books before. With their books, after you buy itdo you have a digital copy on your PC/Tablet/phone you can read offline or do you need to be online to read?

You have a copy on your device- which will possibly be archived after a period of time, but which can be retrieved at any time. It is possible to have the same Kindle logon across different devices, and so have the same library of books on all devices.

When you buy a book it can be available on your device in less than a minute quite often, and can be opened on another device with the same login quite quickly.

A Kindle device isn't necessary, but is good for reading when you won't have access to have charging for a period of time, such as in a plane.

OTOH pictures don't render well on a Kindle.

I would recommend the Developing for Profit Home Course material (from past few years) from Justin Eslick and Reno Kings.

http://www.developingforprofit.com.au/offers/2012-home-study-course/

I attended personally and gained so much knowledge.

Heaps of specific information and actual development figures, lessons learnt and presentations from different professionals (broker, accountant, solicitor, valuer etc) all speaking just in relation to development.

Its very much tailored to Brisbane market but the same principals and lessons would apply all throughout Australia.

You have a copy on your device- which will possibly be archived after a period of time, but which can be retrieved at any time. It is possible to have the same Kindle logon across different devices, and so have the same library of books on all devices.

When you buy a book it can be available on your device in less than a minute quite often, and can be opened on another device with the same login quite quickly.

A Kindle device isn't necessary, but is good for reading when you won't have access to have charging for a period of time, such as in a plane.

OTOH pictures don't render well on a Kindle.

Thanks Geoff. I'm more than happy to buy a basic ebook such as a pdf, not so keen with monkeying around and restricted access. That kindle book should be ok.

Bob Anderson has 6 youtube videos of around 5 minutes each that cover the whole development process.

With a bit of digging you can find the videos here with transcripts http://stuartzadel.com/category/blog/ and ignore the rest of the site

or

Find them on this youtube channel amongst the other stuff http://www.youtube.com/user/TGREvents/videos

I'm learning about developments and found a lot of the points in those videos interesting.

Hey Mindmaster thanks for the link :)

Property Development

Profit from property by Philip Thomas

Thank you imbi3 for the praise Re Profit from Property!!! :)

It's been some time since ive sent any posts as i've been so busy in the Sydney property market over the past few years. Entry level has been hot & it now appears to be spilling over into other parts of the market.

With low interest rates, stable inflation, stable employment, low vacancy rates the Australian residential property sector is looking the best it has in many years.

The key as we move forward will be finding properties in the right location at the right price.

Have seen some sites go for ridiculous prices lately, picked up by overseas buyers who have no requirement to turn a Profit on a development. They pay top dollar because they: 1) either don't sell them on completion (live in the units), 2) if they do sell, they sell them back overseas or 3) they have not done a full feasibility. probably a combination of 2 & 3 most of the time.

As always beware of property spruikers as they are out in force selling smoke & mirrors: www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-23/warnings-that-property-spruikers-returning-to-the-market/4974442

If you do your research, there should be no issues here & no need to deal with the spruikers.

Have also had issues with pest & building inspections. This is due the the unregulated nature of Private Building Inspectors. Any one can call them selves a building inspector, use a template & create a report. The last report i saw contained 2% fact & 98% fiction / opinion. There are some excellent qualified structural engineers out there that will do Structural Investigation on property purchases containing the facts.

The other item we have faced over the past few years has to do with builder selection for projects. Will the builder you select to do your development still be there at the end of the project??? Will they be there in 12 months time to address the defects??? How about in a few years from now??? Changing builders part way through a project because they have gone under is a difficult proposition.

Finally when doing a project, some of the building contractors want you to pay deposits. If you have a bank funded development, the bank will usually only pay for "work complete on site at a point in time". if you pay $90k deposit for a lift or windows or any other item & the supplier goes bust before anything is delivered to site, then you'll loose your deposit. And suppliers do go bust. If you pay deposits, ask for a bank guarantee for the amount you have paid. it may cost you an extra 5%, but thats a whole lot better than loosing your $90k deposit. You can often also do a deal with building contractor before you sign the contract to provide security for any deposits paid.

Back