Inhibitory 30sqm LUG in potential purchase.

Among others, I've got my eye on a 2 bed apartment in the inner west (Sydney) with a giant Lock Up Garage (over 30sqm). There's on street parking too.

If successful at auction, the garage alone will comprise $100-$140k of the purchase price. It might bring $10-$20/week extra rent -- not worth it.

It'll kill my serviceability for the NEXT purchase and therein lies my issue.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has innovative (or obvious/straightforward) ideas to make the most of this one and ensure my serviceability doesn't take a major hit. This place would be a great buy for CG, but there's an opportunity cost to consider.

Brain dump:
- Rent 2 bed WITHOUT garage and rent garage separately as storage. This will provide a pretty poor return, but more than it'd add to rent. This could be an interim solution. Might get $150-$170/month.
- Request garage be moved onto separate title. Hold it for a while and, if necessary, sell garage on its own prior to next purchase. Perhaps a future or current resident will want one. Or someone who works/lives nearby.
- Turn it into something that can be rented out on a different basis. Not sure about what's possible, legal or feasible, but it would make a useful--albeit windowless--office etc

Hit me.

All of your ideas would need body corporate approval. Often this required 100% of other owners to agree, so not easy to get.
Marg

Charge higher rent.

Stoarage and parking in inner west are both treasured commodities. People will be prepared to pay more for extra storage and the security of knowing they have a spot.

Back