Inspired by Queensland Investors

I have just returned from the beautiful Gold Coast and feel like I have just climed to the top of a mountain and looked over at the future of investing.

Queensland investors and developers, the ones I have met, have decided not to buy into the doom and gloom of the media but to continue their wealth creation plan and keep on growing!

Billion dollar buildings are being built with appartments selling in the low millions and entire blocks almost completely sold out before construction even began!

I was truly inspired by the entreprenerial spirit and intent behind all the developments and have just realised how small a game I am personally playing in my life at the moment.

We all grow by continously placing ourselves in places where we feel small and Queensland really did it for me!

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Know what you mean Xenia. In my business premises on occasion I recognise very large people in the business world (just doing their shopping) and it makes me realize how small I am as a business/investor - in fact it just happened again 20 mins ago.

Makes me keen to get bigger and better but also illustrates that you have to think BIG in order to achieve this sort of success. I think BIG, but I need to thing BIGGER. Hence my signature...

There's great opportunities in every state. My mindset has been expanded recently by the fantastic opportunities in Adelaide!

There are always great opportunities about.
But one must also not get too carried about by the emotional attachment to the scene/area/hype/

I travel a lot and get that same FUZZY feeling.

But i always run it through the Supply/Demand/ am I just emotional software.(My gut feeling)
Then i add a little bit of reality (Not Real estateity) to the equation ? Followed by some world wide what is happening and a review of the actual property cycle.

Sometimes i miss out. But I am not going bankrupt on plain dreams:(

Gee Cee

There will always be the spruikers on the coast of gold but I'm sure the reality is very different.

The market is dead in the water and has been since April. Just look at the sold properties on rea.com.au:(

It is because of all the sand on the Gold Coast. Plenty of space to sitck their heads in it !!! :)

LOL

Realistically though. I have not seen the same level of D&G here on the coast or in Brisbane as seems to be happening in the media.

My best girlfriend is a florist in Brisbane (aspley) and her business is going strong. Usually in hard times she feels it pretty quickly , flowers being "luxury items"
My nail tech (also Brisbane - Bracken Ridge) has been rushed off her feet and is now FULLY booked 40+ hours a week and has had to employ a girl to take "overflow"
The hairdresser that said nail tech works out of is flat out.

My own (hubby's) business is also well up on last year.

Don't know what is going on and don't care :) (Sticks head in sand :) )
All is sunny here in Qld :)

you've only seen one side of the glitz and glamour of the Gold Coast. There's a lot more people that have fallen from grace in the Gold Coast and losing other people's money.'

but yeah, a lot more opportunities in QLD than SA. Seriously, there are developments everywhere you look in GC and Brisbane, can't say the same for Adelaide.

There will always be the spruikers on the coast of gold but I'm sure the reality is very different.

The market is dead in the water and has been since April. Just look at the sold properties on rea.com.au:(

I don't know where you get "dead in the water" from?

I agree, certain price brackets have slowed considerably, but the sub $500k is on fire on the coast at the moment (both houses and units)

Perhaps you cold come for a visit up to sunny Qld and see for yourself. Join us with our heads in the sand;)........not a bad place to be at the moment.

Bundy

Different perspectives i guess but if it was 'on fire' wouldn't it be increasing in price rapidly. As for the glitzy residential towers, they're built on debt and a lot of developers are doing it tough and have been for quite a while.

Raptis et al are only the more public & visible signs of it.

I agree, certain price brackets have slowed considerably, but the sub $500k is on fire on the coast at the moment (both houses and units)

Perhaps you cold come for a visit up to sunny Qld and see for yourself. Join us with our heads in the sand;)........not a bad place to be at the moment.

Bundy

I've had my eye on the GC (to buy) for quite a while and know it well. I'm up there 2-3 times a year for the past 20 years and i'd say all price sectors have stalled big time. Some falling rapidly.

Different perspectives (filters) i guess but if the sub $500k was 'on fire' wouldn't it be increasing in price rapidly. As for the glitzy residential towers, they're built on debt and a lot of developers are doing it tough and have been for quite a while.

Raptis et al are only the more public & visible sign of it.

Bundy

Queensland is indeed beautiful, there are not many places where World Heritage rainforest meets World Heritage Barrier Reef.

Xenia:
We all grow by continously placing ourselves in places where we feel small and Queensland really did it for me!

I don't ever feel "small" as such, more a feeling of very fortunate to be a part of......whatever-please add... My "growth" is determined by my personality, a deep seated desire to learn and grow as a person, I think the property thing is just something I do. I do and enjoy by all means, it's fun creating wealth and houses otherwise I wouldn't do it, but the greatest thing is growing as a person. (For me, that's my flavored icecream).

I identify with your inspiration, it just has a slightly different flavor. :)

I am very proud of what I am achieving, it certainly isn't to the scale of the Gold Coast and I'm fine with that, my journey and achievements are no less, nor important than the next person.

I think I was blown away with Queensland's natural beauty...her islands, her people, her beaches, the Reef!, her wildlife, her rainforests, and I guess the real estate development is related to that, many other people think the State is okay too.;)

Yep, here's to Queensland, a truly unique part of Australia- "clink".

Always fascinated by how two individuals, can see the same panorama and view it so differently.

Sue78 and Invstor in this particular instance. Would the two of you care to elaborate on what you don't or do, see as opportunities in Adelaide,(or S.A)?
Especially as Sue78 strikes me as optimistic usually.
Merely curious.

Thanks

Regards Jodie

Great post Xenia,

Just the sort of "vibe" I need at the moment, as do probably a few of us.

Glad you were so inspired by your trip, people and experiences. :):):)

Regards JO

My apologies....but this is going to across very negative....I am actually hearing the opposite based on my research.

Qld is third only to WA and NSW in terms of the negative sentiment. The Gold Coast in particular has come off a lot...now it seems that Brisbane is also wearing some of the consequences. I am watching this market for a floor...none at the moment.

I think that SA and VIC are better bets the moment. Why? SA because of the govt related projects (particulary Defence) and Uranium mining which is less susceptible to current financial turmoil. Victoria due to its affordability and the sheer number of migrants heading there.

Cheers
Sash

Queensland investors and developers, the ones I have met, have decided not to buy into the doom and gloom of the media but to continue their wealth creation plan and keep on growing!

Queensland is an absolutely dreadful place to invest - awful climate, too: muggy weather, not to mention the mosquitoes, sandflies, cane toads. Seriously, you wouldn't want to come here! And the over-priced real estate - geeze!!(And where the hell is a tongue-in-cheek icon when one needs one??? ;) ).

Nah, you should all stay home ..... really, you'd hate the place! :D

Cheers
LynnH

Sash and all,

You'll be interested to know. Slightly off topic but slightly on!:rolleyes:

I was just speaking to a Commercial R/E. He and his brother own a R/e in both Com and resi. He has told me alot of Developers from QLD are expecting a turn around in the market in NSW after 6-12 months and are preparing to head back into the NSW market. These are big developers that have been up in QLD, made their money on the last couple of booms, and now think the NSW market is right to go.

Strangely enough he is also reporting, as Xenia is referring to, a fairly positve attitude towards property BY DEVELOPERS in QLD.

People need to remember the Gold Coast is not all high rises and glitzy blondes. :rolleyes: There are some great suburbs out of the hype like Ashmore, merrimac, Robina, Varsity Lakes, Southport, Biggera Waters, Runnaway Bay. I have had three IP's on the Gold Coast...

Regards JO

Last edited:
and whats the big deal with the Gold Coast? its just a place where water meets sand.. do people actually like getting wet and having sand in their togs - sorry "swimming trunks" ;)

Don't know about high rise towers on the Gold Coast....but glitzy blondes are alright...:p...my apologies I digress....

Yes, I have heard this too.....I don't like their chances....unless they are really cashed up. Our friends at the major banks have started to ask for 70% pre-sales to factor in the number of contracts that cannot proceed as a result of credit tightening.

I agree about the suburbs on the Gold Coast you have highligted as the GC is expected to hit 1m people by 2025...they will be good buying when the dust settles in the next 12 months or so. At the moment...I am cooling my heels....

Cheers
Sash

I was just speaking to a Commercial R/E. He and his brother own a R/e in both Com and resi. He has told me alot of Developers from QLD are expecting a turn around in the market in NSW after 6-12 months and are preparing to head back into the NSW market. These are big developers that have been up in QLD, made their money on the last couple of booms, and now think the NSW market is right to go.

Strangely enough he is also reporting, as Xenia is referring to, a fairly positve attitude towards property BY DEVELOPERS in QLD.

People need to remember the Gold Coast is not all high rises and glitzy blondes. :rolleyes: There are some great suburbs out of the hype like Ashmore, merrimac, Robina, Varsity Lakes, Southport, Biggera Waters, Runnaway Bay. I have had three IP's on the Gold Coast...

Regards JO

Back