Insurance for Brisbane house

I just got my renewal for a Brisbane property and the insured value they've written is for $396000. Only a year ago I had to answer heaps of questions to get to an insured value. It is a modest home! 3 bed, brick and tile, with double garage, (half has been converted to an office, so only single garage really) It has two really spacious lounge and dining area's. It has an above ground pool with deck, and outside bar, with patio around half the house. Whole property fenced. Their is nothing fancy, one split system in one room and a glass front fireplace. I would have thought it would cost about $290,000 - $300,000 max to replace. I'm sure you could build a mansion for that amount!! Has anyone built lately who can share expense or have any opinion on matter?? I would say it is similar to your standard 4 bed, 2 bath, double garage AV Jennings home. + The property is 12 year old and the house and land is only worth about $430 - $490,000!

Last edited:
I switched to them last year because they were about $300 cheaper, but their costs have increased by about that now, so good point to shop around again! :eek:

I think you can build a 4 br, 2 bath, 2 garage house for around $200k. Of course it is highly variable depending on the quality of the build, floor coverings, kitchen appliances, painting, fencing, type of roof etc.

$396k does sound quite high though for what you have described.

My first house which I bought for $185k years ago was insured for around $135k and it was a 3BR/2Bath/2Garage house built in the 70's. At the time I thought that there was no way it was worth that much but when you actually have to get the house re-built with today's costs, it would probably be fair (and you end up with a brand new home which is worth more).

I saw the insurance company yesterday and found that they had the pool as an underground, instead of above ground, 1/2 the garage has been converted to an office, which is really still a garage (although I remember at this time last year they were insistant that I had to insure it as a room), so we changed it to a double garage with 3 bedrooms (rather than a 4 bed house with single garage). With those small changes it dropped down to $280,000. Which I agreed to. Then they pointed out my contents weren't insured, so for $45 more than the original quote, I've got contents insurance now also.

Back