Interest Deductibility Question

I have a $200k margin loan. I want to get rid of the margin loan and fund my share portfolio using a LOC on my PPOR.

If I draw down $200k from my LOC and use it to pay off the margin loan, is the interest on the LOC deductible? Or do I need to sell everything in the margin loan, then re-buy it using the LOC funds?

Rino,
I'm no accountant, but it sounds like you are only transfering debt, shouldn't be a problem. Only drawback is if your LOC is mixed up with personal ( non deductable ) amounts , you would then need to separate the deductable from the non-deductable interest as you couldn't claim the lot. Best check with your accountant though, I cant give advice.
Regards Bushy

Nice idea in that it removes the issue or margin calls when the market falls. I wish shares were like property in that the loan doesn't get called in due to a fall in value.

Rino,
I'm no accountant, but it sounds like you are only transfering debt, shouldn't be a problem. Only drawback is if your LOC is mixed up with personal ( non deductable ) amounts , you would then need to separate the deductable from the non-deductable interest as you couldn't claim the lot. Best check with your accountant though, I cant give advice.
Regards Bushy

This is a very good point.

An easy way around the problem is to use a sub account that many of the major bunks offer. Nothing but Share stuff goes into this sub account.

I would be running your situation past your tax professional.

The ATO may classify it as a repayment of loan principal thus not tax deductible, instead of a loan for income producing purposes.

Best clarify it professionally or direct with the ATO.

Better to be sure than sorry.

Hope this helps.

Yes, the LOC is used strictly for investing only. Come on! This is an investment forum. Who buys toys on credit?

Wouldn't be too big a deal buying and selling everything. But I figured I'd save myself some money in commission.

I see it as re-financing / re-structuring of investment loans. But will seek further advice.

Thanks guys.

Back