Investing in Blue Chip Areas pays dividends in Troubled Times

There is a lot of doom and gloom surrounding the Melbourne property market at the moment. I have been out and about over the past few months, looking to pick up another investment.

In my travels, I have come across one suburb where residential sales are thriving, the local shopping strip is bustling with boutiques, cafes, etc, and the residents drive particularly nice cars. (Lambagini's etc).

The suburb I have come across is Carlton North. A suburb filled with Doctors, Lawyers and other professionals. Seemingly recession proof.

Yesterday, I attended the auction of this 1960's style 2 bedroom flat.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-carlton+north-107541653

It is located on the top floor of the complex on the right hand corner. It has a balcony opening to the North. From the kitchen there are views over to the Dandenong ranges. There is also a car park on title. The flat has high land value of 67%.

The quoted range was $500 - $550. The property was highly contested at auction. To my surprise, it ended up selling for $615,000, which was $45,000 over the reserve. An exceptional result in these current economic times.

The property had been owned by the family since it was bought off the plan in 1969. The current occupier had received the flat as an inheritance. As her child is now 2, she has bought a house in Northcote.

My general observations - purchasing property in blue chip suburbs pays dividends over time. It can be easier to sell for a good price in difficult times.

From what I understand, the property was originally purchased in 1969 off the plan for around $15,000.

No doubt, being purchased pre capital gains tax, the grand daughter who inherited the property would not need to pay any tax on the sale of the property.

What a wonderful gift!

Has anyone else noticed exceptional results in similar suburbs recently. (Not necessarily in Melbourne).

agree. i invest heavily into the holy trinity of toorak, south yarra and prahran. anything close to chapel st where all the 20 something wanna bes want to hang out and live and pay top dollar for rent. if you can handle the gearing these suburbs are great long term investments imo

Good work on Richmond Az, I had a chance to buy there in 2009 but went for Prahran instead, spewing a little still about that move… ah well, live and learn

It doesn't just apply to good suburbs. Well located property in any given suburb will sell better in bad times.

what about Brisbane?

Does anyone know which are the best blue chip suburbs to invest in in Brisbane? We are looking at purchasing a 2bdrm unit there and being from Melb, know nothing of which are "good/bad" areas there.
Anyone able to help?

Does anyone know which are the best blue chip suburbs to invest in in Brisbane? We are looking at purchasing a 2bdrm unit there and being from Melb, know nothing of which are "good/bad" areas there.
Anyone able to help?

A better question might be, why Brisbane?

Thought it was interesting that the property was advertised at $500 - $550 and the reserve was set at $570!!!

Agents under quoting again!

JC

From what I understand, the property was originally purchased in 1969 off the plan for around $15,000.

If property doubles every 7 years, in the 42 years since it was purchased off the plan it should have doubled 6 times over.

But 15,000*2^6 = $960,000, not the $615,000 it was sold for. Therefore the property has underperformed by about 36%!!! :)

But property doesnt double every 7 Years. I don't think anybody on this board would think that. It's peaks and troughs and is comparible to the all ords over the last 70 yrs. Additionally, carlton was a slum with most wanting to escape to a nice qtr acre block in beaumaris. Gentrification occurred there in the 70's and there wAs massive growth there this period, perhaps 200%, much like the ponzi scheme that is the gold price of the last 10 years.

If property doubles every 7 years, in the 42 years since it was purchased off the plan it should have doubled 6 times over.

But 15,000*2^6 = $960,000, not the $615,000 it was sold for. Therefore the property has underperformed by about 36%!!! :)

The long term average return from property is 7.1%. This property has achieved slightly higher than 9% p/a in that time frame. (Excluding rent).

I'm sure the family was happy with the result.

Regards Jason.

my apartment investments have done very well bought in well located areas in some blue chip sydney beach suburbs clovelly and randwick. houses in newport and leura not as well. i would always invest blue chip, but thats not for everyone i know.

Thought it was interesting that the property was advertised at $500 - $550 and the reserve was set at $570!!!

Agents under quoting again!

JC

Nothing like the one I saw sold today. Agent was quoting buyer interest in the range of 1.1-1.2. 2 bedroom, dated property on a 500m2 block sold for almost $1.7M with 5-6 bidders:eek:
This was in Hawthorn East btw.

Nothing like the one I saw sold today. Agent was quoting buyer interest in the range of 1.1-1.2. 2 bedroom, dated property on a 500m2 block sold for almost $1.7M with 5-6 bidders:eek:
This was in Hawthorn East btw.

if it's the one I'm thinking of- near Harcourt- reserve was 1.4M- google the address.

Back