Investing/saving money for our newborn

Yesterday (24/05/2014) my wife and I welcomed into the world our first child.
Baby Max and mum are both doing well.
The reason for my post is because we have been given a small amount of money.
We are thinking of setting up a bank account for him and deposit the initial money into the account, and then add say $20 per week and then by the time he is 18 there should be about 20k there for him.
Is this a good idea? Or would we be better off saving for a few years and then invest in shares, or a term deposit?
Or if anyone has any other suggestions?
Also what would be the most tax efficient way of investing for Max's future
I look forward to hearing from you all :)

If 20k is what you plan to give him, you may choose between bank account, shares etc. If you can give more, what about setting up a trust and buy properties? Just thinking aloud!

Edit: Congratulations! I should have said that first.

Last edited:
First of all, congratulations and best wishes.

Not sure exactly your situation (e.g. renting, has a mortgage etc...) but I'd try to chip away my PPOR loan as much as I can. I don't think 20K will be much in 18 years.

I can't exactly remember the numbers but one time, I had this guy come around and talked about a kids fund. Basically, you pay a monthly and get that back in chunks when your kids are at certain ages. It's like a force saving. I didn't sign up cos I didn't think that the return was that great. One of my friends did that with their two kids. However, I was paying similar amounts to hold my CF- IP and the capital gains was much higher than the return from that fund. So, as Singo raid, I'd rather invest in property.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't think to add our situation
At present we our PPOR outright, and own 2 IP's at about 63% LVR on them.
Both not big earners, but good savers.
I hope this info further helps with your suggestions
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post :)

Congratulations and good to hear both mum and bub are well!

I would personally put that into a PPOR, or any other non-deductible debt you may have.

Alex

Firstly Congratulations

Secondly, check out The Magic Train by Noel Whittaker

There's a bit of information relating to the original posts below in a recent article, hopefully it assists?

This little piggy made $80,000

And some words of wisdom from one of the good guys; Noel WHITTAKER

If you haven't got his books you're missing out ;)

Train Ride to Wealth On $2.74 A Day

BACK in 1990, when I wrote my second book More Money, I included a chapter called "The Fairy Godmother and the Magic Train". The intention was to show the power of compound interest, and it told a fable about a fairy godmother who visits all new parents to tell them about a train that could take the child to wealth.

The fare to take the journey is just $2.74 a day ($1000 a year) provided the parents start immediately, and the payoff is that the child should have more than $6 million at age 65 which is the end of the journey. The figures are based on the assumption that the money is invested in quality share trusts, and that the trusts earn an average of 10 per cent a year if all income is reinvested.

A seat on the train costs virtually nothing if they start paying that $1000 a year from year one. However, as each year passes its value grows as compounding works its magic. Therefore, a person who delays starting the program will have to pay an increasingly heavy price to join the train if they wish to have the same sum at age 65 for an investment of just $2.74 a day.

Time passes quickly. This month we found ourselves celebrating the 21st birthday of our youngest child. It only seems such a short time since we had three children under four now they are aged 21, 23 and 24.

Yes, the magic train is a great concept unfortunately, like most people, I never got around to starting. However, being one who likes to ponder on what might have been, I did some calculations to find out what the outcome would have been if I had made the time to invest that paltry $1000 a year into a managed fund that matched the All Ordinaries Accumulation Index.

The eldest, now aged 24, would have $164,000, the second would have $122,000 and the youngest, who just turned 21, would have $89,000. Notice the impact of time on the investment. Because the youngest is four years younger than the eldest, her theoretical portfolio would have been worth about half as much as his, because the length of time of her investment would have been four years shorter.

It encouraged me to do some more calculations. If we made no more contributions to the eldest son's $164,000 portfolio, it would grow to $8.8 million at age 64 if the investment could average 10 per cent a year. That's a return of $8.8 million for a total investment of $24,000 (24 years x $1000).

Now think about somebody who is reading this, who is aged 24, and becomes sold on the idea of having a portfolio worth $8.8 million in 40 years time. Because they are starting from scratch they have to invest $1380 a month ($16,560 a year) to reach their target of $8.8 million.

Yes, the person who put away $1000 a year from birth and then stopped at age 24 outlays only $24,000 for a return of $8.8 million. The one who delays the program and then starts at age 24 has to find a staggering $662,400 to end up in the same place. This is the cost of delay.

Naturally this raises the question that we must all ask ourselves: why don't we start these programs? Probably because deep down we all have an active impatience gene that makes us resist any course of action where results only appear over time.

It's easier to choose a harsh lose-three-kilograms-in-seven-days diet than one that requires a slight adjustment to our eating habits that will result in our losing six kilograms in 12 months.

There is also the age-old problem of getting so involved in immediate problems that we neglect planning for the future. Maybe, with a new financial year approaching, it might be a good time to reflect on what we have done in the past 12 months to get some money working for us. Remember, the three main places money can come from are you working, your money working, or from welfare.

Welfare is being continually tightened so if you intend to ever give up work it makes sense to start accumulating some capital for your retirement as soon as you can. The earlier you start the easier it is.

Noel Whittaker is joint managing director of Whittaker Macnaught, AFSL number 246519. Email him at [email protected]. This advice is general in nature and readers should take their own expert advice before making financial decisions.

Thank you Redwing for that wonderful information.
I will be definitely be looking into the books. Unfortunately I don't have any experience investing other then buying IP's. So I'm thinking my next step will be to make an appointment with my accountant and seek his advice.
I greatly appreciate everyone's help
Kurt

Have a look at 10 year interest (& tax) deferred insurance bonds.

You may have to start with a few grand but can add a % each year. The return in 10+ years is tax free and shoul be substantial.

This will have no effect on your own tax situation unlike money in the bank.

An alternative is Australian Scholarship Grants which is set aside for school or higher education fees but the earlier you start the cheaper it is to save.

Hi Kurt
Im doing the same thing for my niece and nephew - check with your accountant because interest accrued needs to be declared in your tax return or via special rules that apply to children's investments (when income exceeds $416?)- strangely more complicated than i had thought- to avoid tax dodges i guess.
Cheers, nat

Or would we be better off saving for a few years and then invest in shares, or a term deposit?
:)

Term deposit will not go that far with inflation,start with 100 units in any of the top 6 banks that are in Australia with reinvestment plans in place compounding is a magic item over the years..imho..

Yesterday (24/05/2014) my wife and I welcomed into the world our first child.
Baby Max and mum are both doing well.
The reason for my post is because we have been given a small amount of money.
We are thinking of setting up a bank account for him and deposit the initial money into the account, and then add say $20 per week and then by the time he is 18 there should be about 20k there for him.
Is this a good idea? Or would we be better off saving for a few years and then invest in shares, or a term deposit?
Or if anyone has any other suggestions?
Also what would be the most tax efficient way of investing for Max's future
I look forward to hearing from you all :)

What about just paying off your PPOR mortgage/putting 20/wk in offset account and draw down on the mortgage for 20k or whatever you can afford in 18 years time. If you own PPOR outright, pay off IP's or offset IP's.

I'm in the same situation.
After 7 years the account is generating more than $416 year in interest which is taxed at 66%.

I can't buy shares or bonds in the kids names since they must be 16 or older. If i buy shares in my name then I must pay income tax on the dividends even if I have a dividend reinvestment plan and also when I transfer the shares back to them when they turn 18 then I'm up for capital gains tax on the transfer.

I have the money sitting in my offset account but the problem is there's 2 kids at different ages with different money. How do I work out what each kids share of the money in 15 years if both in the same account. Plus they don't earn interest, it just reduces my payments to the bank.

I really like the magic train approach. I have done that with my DD - am putting in $200 pq into a Perpetual managed fund. The managed fund is in my name though because I started it up a while before she was born.

I wouldn't put anything into a savings account for her though - even if they don't earn tax on it until $416 pa - it's much better off being kept in my offset account!

I have similar approach.
Kids have their banks account any money they got from birthday or pocket money I encourage them to save some and deposit into their bank account..
earning like 3-4% right now ... but I also match their saving rate ...

I invest heavily in the stock market and each year I calculate my internal rate of return .. If I earn 25% that year I take the kids bank account balance and deposit 25% extra in and year I got 10% I deposit 10% etc... Negative year I keep a record and deduct it from the next positive year...

simulating real world earning rather than some average number....One day when they are old enough I shall hand them their account and let them decide for themselves with me as an advisor giving them tips on spotting wonderful business and invest in them.

I like to leave it in the bank account as I can show them the power of compounding and the awesomeness of investing in the right business ..the return can be staggering and unbelievable.

I would contact a financial adviser as there are certain structures that you could out in place that would be tax effective for you and the child when look at 10 years or more.

I'd refinance the IPs and use the cash for the deposit/purchase costs of a property for the young one if at all possible.

That $20k ought to cover all holding costs until it's completely paying for itself.

End result, at the very worst, ought to be quite a few hundred thousand dollar return.

In a way that really won't be that much in real terms by the time they get it.

Have it just as a part if your own personal investment strategy so that by the time they're at university level you'll be able to support them.

By the time they're 12 you'll probably need a packet just to send them to high school, let alone tertiary, the way things are going.

I'm in the same situation.
After 7 years the account is generating more than $416 year in interest which is taxed at 66%.

I can't buy shares or bonds in the kids names since they must be 16 or older. If i buy shares in my name then I must pay income tax on the dividends even if I have a dividend reinvestment plan and also when I transfer the shares back to them when they turn 18 then I'm up for capital gains tax on the transfer.

I have the money sitting in my offset account but the problem is there's 2 kids at different ages with different money. How do I work out what each kids share of the money in 15 years if both in the same account. Plus they don't earn interest, it just reduces my payments to the bank.

As Scott No Mates suggested, have a look at Insurance bonds. I have one set up with Comminsure for my daughter for this purpose (Bpay $200/month). There are a number of providers including AMP and IOOF with Austock probably having the most investment options. I think they are the ideal vehicle for this type of investment.

Back