Investment properties making a comeback

Investment properties making a comeback

By Anthony Klan and Sanna Trad
The Australian
February 16, 2009 12:00am

0,,6488012,00.jpg
Comeback ... in Sydney over the weekend, 66pc of properties auctioned were sold, up from 53pc last year.

A RISE in the number of investment properties whose rental returns exceed the cost of the mortgage will trigger a recovery in the housing market.
Cuts to official interest rates, and years of foundering prices and rising rents means investors can, in some parts of Sydney and Melbourne at least, now buy properties that will return about as much in rent as they cost in mortgage repayments, The Australian reported.
"There is a real possibility we will see positively geared properties emerging this year in the affordable markets of the southern capitals," said SQM Research managing director Louis Christopher.
"Vacancy rates are still very tight at the affordable end of the market so rents will continue to rise in the sector in 2009, further boosting returns for investors."

Mr Christopher said small inner-city apartments or cheaper outer suburbs -- such as Bankstown in Sydney's west -- would be the areas most likely to experience the emergence of positively geared properties as rents continued to grow.
The southern capitals represented the best buys.
Perth house prices were still losing ground and southeast Queensland was over-supplied, Mr Christopher said.
In Sydney's inner-city Darlinghurst, a one-bedroom unit was yesterday advertised for sale for $275,000 with an estimated weekly rental return of $360.
Before allowing for expenses such as strata fees -- or advantages such as depreciation tax breaks -- the weekly costs of holding the property, based on a loan hypothetically covering 100 per cent of the purchase price, would be $372 a week.
Mr Christopher said rents were expected to continue to rise for affordable properties over the coming year, but a looming surge in unemployment -- and a possible recession -- could have a major impact on the health of the rental market.
Potential investors would also need substantial equity before they jumped into the market.
Mr Christopher said borrowing 100 per cent of the purchase price of a property -- particularly small apartments -- was difficult even at the peak of the credit boom and now it was almost impossible.
He said buyers looking to avoid taking out costly mortgage insurance were now forced by many lenders to stump up deposits as high as 40 per cent of a property's purchase price.
Mr Christopher said tight rental supply and the high entry point of many traditional blue-chip properties meant cheaper homes currently represented the best investment opportunities.
According to property research group RP Data, the median price of the the top 10 per cent of properties, based on price, slumped in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane last year as financial markets worsened.
Sydney was hardest hit, with the top 10 per cent of properties slumping in value by 19.5 per cent, from an average $1.6 million to $1.29million. In Melbourne, the top 10 per cent of properties slumped 15 per cent over the year, while the cheapest 10 per cent of properties rose in value by 4 per cent.
First-home buyers, disenfranchised by high rents, were underpinning demand for cheaper properties.
In Sydney over the weekend, 66 per cent of properties auctioned were sold, up from 53 per cent on the same weekend last year. Nick Tassis, of real estate agency Ray White Rockdale, in Sydney's south, said there had been a surge in buyer interest in recent weeks.

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,28323,25060007-5013951,00.html

There is a real possibility we will see positively geared properties emerging this year in the affordable markets of the southern capitals," said SQM Research managing director Louis Christopher.
"Vacancy rates are still very tight at the affordable end of the market so rents will continue to rise in the sector in 2009, further boosting returns for investors.

Sweet:D

Dave

That is great news.....

I think we are seeing the classic cycle of Sydney & NSW leading the way for a change.;)

The only thing which is slightly different is that...it is the First Home Buyers who are in the drivers seat.....

Me thinks...it is time to get into Sydney, the Central Coast, Newcastle, and Wollongong....:D

....but there seems to be alot of experienced posters having fun arguing something about dead cats bouncing??? :D:D

That is great news.....
I think we are seeing the classic cycle of Sydney & NSW leading the way for a change.;)
The only thing which is slightly different is that...it is the First Home Buyers who are in the drivers seat.....
Me thinks...it is time to get into Sydney, the Central Coast, Newcastle, and Wollongong....:D
Yeah! confirmation bias confirmed.:p

....but there seems to be alot of experienced posters having fun arguing something about dead cats bouncing???
Mmmm, one of the dangers of being 'experienced' is hanging on the sidelines pontificating while those who don't know any better :p get out there and make things happen.

We could all wring our hands and say 'but what about when IR's go up?' instead of fixing, or 'investing in bogan areas tisk, tisk' without realising that tenants on government benefits have a secure income stream or ....well you get the idea. :D

I am too new to this game to have any biases...:p

Take it ALL in guys, don't let the 'ol confirmation bias get too out of hand:p

Dave

Pontificating....is that something the pope in the Vatican does??

I am green eyed newbie.....kinda like a kid in a candy shop!! Have no idea what I am doing...I will attempt to thow a dart at a map of Sydney, Central Coast, Newcastle, and Wollongong...where it lands I will buy.;)

I did that in Bankstown and it came good....even had a write up from the journo chaps. :p

Better go....I just heard a cat MEEOOOWWW loudly....;)

Yeah! confirmation bias confirmed.
Mmmm, one of the dangers of being 'experienced' is hanging on the sidelines pontificating while those who don't know any better get out there and make things happen.

We could all wring our hands and say 'but what about when IR's go up?' instead of fixing, or 'investing in bogan areas tisk, tisk' without realising that tenants on government benefits have a secure income stream or ....well you get the idea.

Auror....$360 is quite reasonable...the pink dollar prevalent there.

That demographic (as a very broad generalisation and in the nicest possible way to avoid backlash from the politically correct) has pretty good incomes and is lifestyle focused. They also largely don't have kids.

There used to be really crappy 2brm units on Darlinghurst Roads a couple of years ago sell for about 320k. A quick reno...and now you would rent these for 450-500pw. This area is buzzing with cafes and other lifestyle amenities.

out of curiosity, i looked up the darlinghurst unit mentioned in the article (claimed to be renting for $360 pw, selling for $275k).

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007616148

I think the rent of $360 pw is overestimated though.

All media hype..as usual..next wk will be the opposite...

Little happening in any market regarding investors flocking back to property...100% guarantee!

anyone who feels different reads too many newspaper propaganda editorials pumped up by the real estate industry..

be awhile yet before investors flock anywhere except "flock off" and be cashed up on the sidelines or hold tight if they purchased years ago.

Last edited:
doenst matter..... there are plenty of properties in several sydney suburbs that have >6% rental yeild.

I was at one mortgagee auction on saturday.... wow was it packed, 12 buyers were registered, and the price went $30,000 above my "value" price.
You have a very hard time making lowball offers out west now. Vendors just laugh you off and wait for the next person in line to make their offer. Many properties are selling THE DAY they are listed!

Its getting a little crazy.

All media hype..as usual..next wk will be the opposite...

Little happening in any market regarding investors flocking back to property...100% guarantee!

anyone who feels different reads too many newspaper propaganda editorials pumped up by the real estate industry..

be awhile yet before investors flock anywhere except "flock off" and be cashed up on the sidelines or hold tight if they purchased years ago.

Maybe in brisbane thats true.... but it CERTAINLY isnt true here in sydney.
Get out on your feet and do your DD, and you will definitely change your opinion.

Anyone who has done the legwork out in sydney's below median suburbs knows what i am talking about. It is starting to become a feeding frenzy.

doenst matter..... there are plenty of properties in several sydney suburbs that have >6% rental yeild.

I was at one mortgagee auction on saturday.... wow was it packed, 12 buyers were registered, and the price went $30,000 above my "value" price.
You have a very hard time making lowball offers out west now. Vendors just laugh you off and wait for the next person in line to make their offer. Many properties are selling THE DAY they are listed!

Hi Witzl,

Just wondering which suburb was the auction? PM me if you like.

Thanks.

Forgot to add before that this story is missing some important facts:

the median house price has been dropping for quite some time and still is.

Of course when the volume of properties is going to increase as prices come down in some areas..its only natural..

RP data are hardly the be all and end all in facts and figures...in fact i would sooner look at APM as a far more reliable source for this type of info.

Still no investors on the whole which is what will drive up the market in a few years time are present buying..

Just like the ASX....prices move on momentum and speculative buying in my opinion.....volumes are only a part of the equation.

Good Luck!

Witzl...again your assessment of the market is spot on.

Even on the lower north shore...stuff under 400k is now almost non-existent. For example in Lane Cove in Nov 2008 there were about 7-8 2brm units under 400k....now there is 1 if you are lucky.

The train is moving at a steady clip in Sydney ....particularly the Western suburbs. I suspect areas like Liverpool, Campbelltown, Blacktown, and Penrith will see their stock under 300k fly out the door. A 50k increase in prices over the next 18 months is not unrealistic....particularly if the FHOG is extended past June.

Now...I eagerly await the response from the Naysayers!;)

another 20-30k increase on properties out there will mean im millionaire, if they all go upto 300k il be multi millionaire :)

bring it on!

Another important fact you conveniently left out.

Do you think the top end properties shedding millions of dollars/property may scew the figures?

Do you think the market is one thing or do you understand that various areas have different results at different times?

Are you aware that purchasers aren't buying the median?

Dave

The median house price IS going to come down BECAUSE FHB's are buying in the lower quartile of house prices in the area :rolleyes:

yep for sure that is prt of the reason but mid priced properties are sliding big time in qld as well.......those that owned FHB properties and have sold are upgrading and are going in hard with low offers beating sellers down..............thats another reason...

overpriced, overheated.........still the current market is in this situation...........investors wont be back until it cools and prices look way more attractive...

id say 2 years or more in my opinion before it settles..the market will keep sliding slowly then stay bottomed out for some time.

if anyone feels the market is about to head north again in a hurry is truely misguided..

its a healthy situation for the market to take a breather..

CSC,

that might be the case in brisbane... but sydney is behaving very differently in the below median priced suburbs, and in particular the below suburb median properties.
These areas have been cooling since 2003/2004, so they have been representing good buying for a couple of years now. The good buying opportunities are all but gone in these areas.
These Sydney markets have definitely had their breather!

If you are just going to base your opinions on facts and figures on median house prices without qualifying them with some further investigation and legwork, then in a couple of months time you are going to come back here and tell me the median prices in these areas went DOWN.
I will agree with you 100%.

... but what median prices dont tell you is what happens to the value of an individual property! What was bought for $220-250K in the west back in late 2008, is now bought for $250-280K.
However, the volume of sales have all been below the suburbs' medians, and thus the median has been dragged further DOWN - yet the value/price of those individual properties has gone UP.

Simple statistics really. I really wish that RPdata et all would release their figures as a proper distribution graph (dot graph, deviation graph, etc). That would tell a much truer story than a simple "THE MEDIAN IS" graph.
Its retarded, cos they do have that data!!

Eternit - the auction was in Colyton.

Back