Investment Spreadsheet

Hello Guys

Hope this is the right place to put this.

Just put together a spreadsheet to help me work out a large range of things based on an investment property i'm looking at.

Not sure if anyone else here would find it useful at all but its going to save me using about 8 different calculators to find different things.

Would love some feedback about things i may have missed off it or things i have worked out absolutely wrong. Im a bit of a beginner at investing but trying to do all the research on a given property was hard with no where to collate all the data so that was the idea behind putting it together.

I am thinking about making it work for negative gearing and tax depreciation but right now i have not got much idea about this.

I made it just for 7 years but decided to add a few more years onto it to see how the figures pan out in the longer term.

If you want to edit any of the equations just go [tools] -> [protection] -> unlock sheet
I locked it so people didn't accidentally delete the wrong thing when entering figures.

Would love some feedback on it to improve it if possible
Im also not sure if someone has posted something similar before that i missed

The spreadsheet covers
Property Value
Loan Principle
Interest (month)
Repayments (Month)
Rent Income (Month)
Cash Flow (Month)
Total Interest
Total Repayments
Total Costs
Total Rent Income
Total Expenditure
Position
Equity
Return On Investment

Attachments

• Property Investment Estimates.xls
    98 KB · Views: 190
Looks good.

I noticed purchase costs of $25k on a $300k purchase. Work on an average of 6% for purchase costs, unless you are planning to always buy on 10% deposit and use Loan Mortgage Insurance.

Rent return was only 4% at purchase. I wouldn't even contemplate a purchase at that yield. You can easily do much better all over the country right now, AND still get the same cap growth rate. You may have to buy 2 x $150k properties to get a decent rent yield. Keep the mind open.

"Yearly Costs" - $1,000. what does this represent? if it the holding costs, then you need to factor in around 15-20% of the rent to be eaten up by holding costs such as rates, management, insurances, repairs/maintenance, vacancies etc.

But, well done overall. This gives you a great working plan to follow.

Hey LAaussie

Thanks for the reply

Yeah i wasn't really sure about those figures. The additional costs were for things like rates, insurance ect.

I guess the idea of it is you put in your own figures for what will apply to your investment and the sheet will come up with a figure based on those

Anything in the variables column is all you need.

At this stage I have just been playing with the figures and still need to do some more research into all the costs and stuff for my first IP but thought it might help some other people in the meantime

Have a look at the Margaret Lomas books on investing in real estate.

She has 5 now, and they all give "nuts and bolts" stuff on number crunching. They are all fantastic. Haven't read one for a couple of years (they're packed away back in Aus).

You will be able to find out the rough guestimates for all those figures you are not sure about; even down to the depreciation amounts. This is in her last book from memory.

Back