Invitation (to Lurkers to participate)

Speckled Hen - Bantam Roosta? Have I met my match?

Kristine.. said:
And because you are anonymous - who cares if Speckled Hen asks a question which has been asked 10,000 times before, or makes a completely off-key comment, who is Speckled Hen, anyway?
Hehe, lucky I read through the whole thread, because I hadn't noticed the dates either. I was wondering whether I was being named above, but lucky for me, I wasn't around at this stage. :D

I think it's great when some of these old threads make a come back and you can see what people were talking about back then. As a general rule, the topics stay fairly well the same. I wish I had time to trawl all the way through. I might take some leave and get into it. eh, maybe not. I just remembered I have a life to live.

BR

Hi All

Interesting thread. I must admit that I was a lurker for a good 2 years before I started to post. Now, I'm not shy about starting a thread, but do agree that most topics I think of seem to have already been discussed to the nth degree! :)

I also have to keep reminding myself not to feel stupid about posting a reply/thread. I have to say that I've started a couple of threads and wondered why hardly anyone has replied to them? :confused: Does make me feel a little embarassed now and then, that I can't think of something 'smart' enough to contribute.

All in all though, I'm really glad that I finally joined the somersoft community. I get some great food for thought here, and above all, it keeps me enthused about investing, which is a great thing for me!

Thanks everyone for your contributions, I look forward to many more, from everyone (including the 'Dirty Dozen' and the newbies)

1st Home Owner

The usual reason threads go unanswered is because the question has been posed before. Using the search feature is a great way to find out information generally and shouldn't be underestimated :)

Having said that, one shouldn't feel silly about asking questions. After all, we're all here to learn from one another.

I understand the lurking lure. I have seen some very rude posts that do not couch an opinion in a respectful way. I always try and be encouraging of everyone. I can call to mind a few people I was scared of when I first joined, but guess what..... since then I have received kudos from them and given kudos to them too.

Why some forumites seem a bit scary:
humour doesn't always translate on screen
haste in posting
gender (plays a factor in how we communicate)

What does the opinion stated early in the thread mean that the poster doesn't mind newbies as along as they are not pestering like schoolkids? With new people joining there will always be some topics "recycled". There is no shame in not knowing and asking (this site uses a lot of industry specific acronyms, IYKWIM). With a popular adage being "if you don't understand it don't invest in it" we should foster a community where we feel comfortable to ask as many questions as possible. If I don't understand then three people reading at their own desks at home are also scratching their head, I reckon.

I don't understand that link to a list of names identified as "dirty dozen". I am sure it is meant as a bit of a joke but I don't get it. Jacque you certainly do not dominate. IMHO frequent posts doesn't equate to dominating.

IYKWIM = If you know what I mean

Last edited:
Never a dumb question

IMHO there's never a dumb question as if you are thinking about it, chances are there's probably 10 others who are scared to ask. Initially I was a little scared as well but then realised I'd rather look dumb/stupid and ask a question here than to learn it the hard way with my hard earned money! The best thing about somersoft is it's a wealth of information and very very useful for newbies like myself who are just getting into things. One of the threads I was reading earlier was by Michael Whyte title "The Somersoft Development" http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26309 which in my opinion is a brilliant thread as it's hands-on and like a diary of the development!

Initially my main problem was I thought I was asking the right question but not getting the answer/suggestions I was after. I simply realised that I need to be more clear and specific of what I expect! I'm amazed the amount of information which is discussed here. After having read Napoleon Hill's book "Think and Grow Rich" I was keen to gather my own "Mastermind" up and running and this site has been very very beneficial towards that cause. Otherwise I wouldn't have meet all these smart and honest people willing to help us newbies.

So this is a kudos to all of you and yes especially the "Dirty Dozen." ;) I quite like Geoffw's humour it brighten's my day :) .

Oh BTW (by the way) before I forget as a lurker I didn't quite understand what IMHO stood for, after numerous posts I finally figured out it meant In My Honest Opinion (I'm hoping that's it) if it well that's what I mean!

ram_vemula said:
I didn't quite understand what IMHO stood for, after numerous posts I finally figured out it meant In My Honest Opinion (I'm hoping that's it) if it well that's what I mean!
IMHO, it means "In My Humble Opinion". Which is strange, because it's rarely ever humble :D

If you want to check out other abbreviations, have a look at Jas's excellent post on abbreviations. BTW, why is "abbreviation" such a long word?

Back