IP to PPOR

My mother has just moved into what was formally an IP. She has owned it approximately 6 years its quite run down and i have estimated renos to be around 20k to get it up to scratch. She will live there for about 12 to 24 months. I don't have the exact pricing but pretend purchase 150k, value 220k value after renovation 280k.

I said she should get a sworn valuation basically if she sells pay CGT on the increased value from the time it was an ip less the 50% CGT discount, e.g. 220k-150k = 70k less 50% so CGT on 35k. How ever her accountant says it doesn't work like that but didn't seem to explain it to her very well, i have told her to go back and ask for details but i thought i might come to the brains trust here given a lot of accountants understand PAYE group certificates and not really property.

which i could full understand if she simply moved in for 2 years then moved out. But given its current state and renos the capital value increase is going to occur significantly while she is living there/doing reno.

Basically the kitchen is 'tenanted' out and at best requires some cabinets replaced. The bathroom lost some of its waterproofing so has mould behind most of the shower/vanity unit.

Hi, does your mother work?

The actual amount payable to the ATO may not be as bad as what you think, especially if she does not earn other income in that year

Hi, does your mother work?

The actual amount payable to the ATO may not be as bad as what you think, especially if she does not earn other income in that year

She has been taking a break for about a year or so unfortunately when she goes to sell she will probably have earnt an income for that year.

Back