iPad Air vs Tab S?

Hi all,

Just seeing if anyone has opinion on whether I should consider iPad Air vs Tab S (assuming both got 16gb and cellular).

Currently got a Samsung S2 smartphone.
Never owned an Apple product, not against Apple at all, just never did.

Cheers!

I've just bought an ipad air for my wife as Bday present.
My phones have all been android for many years, but tablets have always been Apple (bought Ipad 1 when it came out and now have an ipad 3).

I think both can be great. In my experience, Apple is a smoother experience, though iTunes sucks.
The reality is though, I hardly ever have to plug the ipad on a computer these days, so iTunes, for me, is not much of an issue anymore.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference. I lean towards apple these days.

Get minimum 32 GB.

IMHO if you have to ask whether to buy Apple, you're not into the "Apple" thing. Why not consider a Microsoft Surface instead of Android?

I've used Tab S, iPad and Surface. It really depends what you want to use the tablets for and how tech savvy you are.

If you're not tech savvy, go for the iPad. It works and this is what I would choose. Tab S is ok, heaps more affordable but I wouldn't use it.

Surface is awesome but its probably best for someone who wants to replace their computer. Overkill for many as they'll already have a laptop or a computer at home.

By the way, if you have a decent data quota on your smart phone then I would skip the cellular option on the tablet as you can use your smart phone as a hotspot. I get 4 GB on my phone every month - heaps of data for when I'm on the move.

Thanks to all who responded!

Techie: mind if you elaborate more about the Surface? what's good about it compared to the other 2? (must say I've just thought abt apple vs samsung but didn't think too much abt MS surface; will obv do my own research too)

Re: celluar. My current phone plan is TPG $13 which only gives me 200mb (I haven't really needed data anyway as I can access internet at home and work; and I don't call much). But thanks for that suggestion.

The Microsoft Surface 3 is a tablet that can be effectively used as a laptop. It runs windows 8.1 and whilst not as widely used as iPads or Android tablets, does work quite well as a tablet.

Windows 8.1 also allows it to be used as a PC and with the optional keyboard it is quite effective in this role.

If you're looking for something that gives you the ability to be a tablet or a laptop, this is the best solution I've seen yet.

The Microsoft Surface 3 is a tablet that can be effectively used as a laptop. It runs windows 8.1 and whilst not as widely used as iPads or Android tablets, does work quite well as a tablet.

Windows 8.1 also allows it to be used as a PC and with the optional keyboard it is quite effective in this role.

If you're looking for something that gives you the ability to be a tablet or a laptop, this is the best solution I've seen yet.

How do the prices compare Peter?

Significantly more expensive. Keep in mind it is very effective as a laptop. Depending on how much RAM and SSHD space you want the prices range from under $1k to over $2k.

The casual iPad or Android tablet user probably wouldn't be interested. The Surface doesn't have the power (specifically graphics) that you can get in a dedicated laptop or desktop computer.

I use it for my business stuff when I'm out of the office.

Thanks to all who responded!

Techie: mind if you elaborate more about the Surface? what's good about it compared to the other 2? (must say I've just thought abt apple vs samsung but didn't think too much abt MS surface; will obv do my own research too)

Re: celluar. My current phone plan is TPG $13 which only gives me 200mb (I haven't really needed data anyway as I can access internet at home and work; and I don't call much). But thanks for that suggestion.

Peter is on the money (as usual!). I used to recommend the Surface Pro to small businesses when I used to consult. Think of it as a windows computer in the form of a tablet.

I must say that there is a bigger learning curve for Windows 8 when compared to Android and iOS, if you're not used to it already. It has frustrated the hell out of many who aren't ready to the spend time getting used to it.

Significantly more expensive. Keep in mind it is very effective as a laptop. Depending on how much RAM and SSHD space you want the prices range from under $1k to over $2k.

The casual iPad or Android tablet user probably wouldn't be interested. The Surface doesn't have the power (specifically graphics) that you can get in a dedicated laptop or desktop computer.

I use it for my business stuff when I'm out of the office.

Thanks for the info Peter. Will look into purchasing one. Graphics are not a major priority for me.

Back