iPhone - comments?

Hi,

Was in Taiwan recently and I had a chance to play with the iPhone and this is what I liked...

- responsive - speedy display (between switching applications)

- can set individual ring tones for each person so that when they ring it displays their pic (probably a common feature with most phones anyway)

- Solid feel - not too big

- applications are good in wifi areas. Google Maps works really well. I can use drag 2 fingers apart to zoom in and push together to zoom out.

Dislikes

- no video calling

- no 3G broadband

What are other people's thoughts?

Michael G

Not sure how old my phone is. I can call people on it, and when it rings, I can answer it and talk to people. That's about all I want a phone to do.
Scott

I've had one for about two months now. It's great.

No 3G is no big deal. The iPhone will actually display most webpages at about the same speed or quicker than several 3G phones as it has a much more powerful processor that can render the pages very quickly.

It still has a few quirks, such as lack of flash and no MMS receiving however the user experience is amazing. It has the best portable web browser / UI available.

I use it over GPRS and the speed is still good.

Hi Michael

I had a play with an iphone when I was in the states recently and I just loved it!!! But I love all of the mac stuff so I'm easily convinced. How cool is the zoom function where you just stretch with your finger tips... I was like a kid in a toy shop (well that's what a mac store is).

Unfortunately I hate mobiles so I'm unlikely to buy one as a phone. I've got a mobile but only for staying in touch with my tradies when renovating. I think I'd use it for its email / internet capabilities though.

kaf

Lovely phones!
Previously been a person who just uses the phone as a phone but cause they're so easy to use, use it for internet and the maps etc.
Haven't broken one yet (usually destroy my phones fairly quickly - drown, drop, run over etc etc)

I think it's too expensive even buying it from overseas...if I did have to shell out that much for a phone, I'd get a blackberry.

It's a bit big for a phone and not enough memory for a multimedia player. I am a huge fan of Creative for MP3 and video and need at least 30G.

and it's lacking basic requirements for a phone..no video calling, 3G and mms.

I have a 3G phone but still not using it for web browsing because data is so $%^ expensive in Oz. I already pay way too much for 40G at home so not going to pay $30 for just 1G on the mobile.

It does look very stylish though and cool to play around with.

I think the 2nd model will be better.

Everyone should upgrade to a 3G phone next. Video callng isn't that popular atm because not everyone has a 3G phone....but it's affordable. Virgin includes video calling and mms in their cap plans.

Was tossing up to get a iPhone (off ebay) or a nokia N95. Decided on the nokia and very happy with it (except for poor battery life). The 5mp camera takes some reasonable pics.

I'm very happy with my HTC TyTN II (pronounced Titan). Connects to just about every 3G network in the world, has a keyboard, GPS and runs on windows mobile so there's plenty of useful applications out there for it. Media player quality is also very good.

I bought mine in the US for $399 USD for the 8GB. I had to buy a SIM to do a hardware unlock for $70, although a software unlock for the 1.1.2 firmware will be out any day now.

Depends on what your preferences are in a phone. I don't really care about video. I like a super responsive, fluid and well thought out sexy UI, and this is what it has. The next contender was the N95 or the 6500 yet even these were sluggish in comparison. The gmail like conversation view for texts is great and the next firmware release (1.1.3) will have assisted GPS (like the N95 - using phone towers). Google maps are also cool. No MMS really does suck though. Hopefully a future upgrade (you can send MMS's with a third party app and send/receive email, but still).

I thought it was too big at first however in the pocket it suprisingly feels smaller than my chunkier old Sony. I found it's the thickness of the phone that makes it feel bulky in the pocket. The iPhone is wider and taller yet slim.

My view is if you pick one up no reason why you can't use it for a month or two and if you don't like it sell it on eBay for about the same price. I could sell mine tomorrow and make money.

Unlocked in France they cost around $1000 AUD and in the UK the minimum plan is around $100pm so you can potentially buy a lot of phone for little money if you bring one in yourself and unlock it.

The battery life on my iPhone wasn't crash hot until I turned off wifi. 2-3 days with WiFi on all the time, about a week with it off. Would be great if it could automatically turn itself on and off.

Another small annoyance, I like 'turn on to alarm'. i.e. when you set an alarm and turn the phone off it won't turn itself back on to alarm, like my Sony did. I can flick it onto 'airplane mode' to both save battery and prevent people from calling me at night.

Back