ipods, loud music, and earphones

Had lunch with a neurologist and neuroscientist today. The neurologist mentioned a scientific paper that shows the cortex of the brain has inhibited depth in people who habitually play loud music on ipods. He also said the incidence of industrial deafness is rising at a disturbing rate due to ipods and teen ignorance about the sensitivity of the inner ear to noise. (My generation certainly listened to loud music, but probably not as often as many young people do now).

He believes industrial deafness will be yet another lifestyle morbidity burden on public health care. And unlike diabetes type II and obesity, there's no cure.

what's new?

Two things:

The prevalence rate of industrial deafness.

Inhibited cortical density is indicative of less synapses being formed between local neuron populations and different regions. Dense synaptic fields are critical for higher cognitive function. Basically, teens who do this during neurodevelopmental windows, are permanently dumbing themselves down.

Didn't realise it was dumbing them down as well as making them deaf. That's alarming.

I bought COH about 5-6 years ago after sitting with a tram load of people in Melbourne many with ipods blasting. Bionic ears are in their future...

What did you say Winston? Hang on, let me just turn my ipod down.

Interestingly, the special senses, especially vision and hearing, are the most sensitive measure of biological aging.

Much of it has to do with artherosclerotic plaques inhibiting blood flow to vital sensory tissue. Yet another reason to eat a low fat diet and get moderate exercise.

Yet another reason to eat a low fat diet and get moderate exercise.

I do this! Also, I don't own an iPod. I only just bought a mobile phone a few weeks ago. This is how it went:

Phone store guy: What sort of phone are you looking for?
Me: the cheapest one

Hahahaha. I'm being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st Century.

Back