Is car dealerships ripping me off?

last time i went to collect my mazda from the dealership, the mechanic there torched a 121 bubble car. apparantly there is a fuel line that pops off really easy and he knocked it and up it went. the customer was demanding a brand new car... ha ha good luck with that

Mechanics are alot like dentists - you go in for a check up/ service and alls well only to walk away at the end of the day with problems and a lighter wallet (my guestimate is 50/50 legitimate and BS).

My advice make friends with a local mechanic and dentist and always use them.

Couldnt agree more, good comparison. Went to the dentist for a quick check up last time, teeth felt great beforehand, had weeks of problems after though.

And those costs for the Corolla are far too expensive. In many cases it is probably a junior doing the work on your car too. Im glad my father has a hoist & range of tools + knowledge so we can do all of our car services. I save hundreds every 10,000klm.

Even knowing how to do an oil change and check over the car will save people money & be more safe.

Today the bonnet doesn't get lifted for months on end and many engines die because of it.

Very true SF.

We see this all the time; people whose car comes in for a service (often very overdue). The main reason we find for overdue services is lack of money to maintain the car. In short; too much car and not enough income.

They have the perception that it'll be a simple check the oil and plugs, kick the tyres and wheel it out the door and hand over not much spondoola.

So, they come in and then have to receive a phone call later in the day to tell them their brakes are almost gone, their tyres are bald, or the water pump is leaking and so on. Of course; this is a big shock, and/or they think we a trying to scam them for more money for things they don't need. In some mechanics' cases; this is no doubt the scenario. But not all are like this.

Mechanics have a duty of car just like a doctor - if we hand back a defective car without the customer being made aware of problems, we are liable.

So, we list everything that is wrong, and let's face it; cars are mechanical devices which eventually have parts that will wear out no matter how well you maintain them.

It is then up to the customer to decide if they want to spend the money to fix what is wrong (or potentially dangerous) with the car.

You would be amazed how often they don't get this potentially life-threatening work done - can't afford it. We had a lady a few weeks ago; very dangerous bald tyres, 4 kids to feed...

We called her to let her know and she said "no; I have a kid's birthday party to pay for this week, so I'll leave it for a few weeks". :eek:

Now, to me; the priority is forget the birthday for now - you can always have a belated smaller party; your kids might not survive until the party otherwise.

Took car out next morning, steering was screaming again (hadn't when I left the dealership), took it to an independent, got told that the hose was gone (hot of running, cold of canberra contrast had turned it solid rather than pliable rubber). $80 fix. Will never ever go to a dealer for servicing again.

We hear this all the time as well.

It amazes me that dealerships can stay in (the servicing) business with all the horror stories going around.

One example; a lady came to us to check her tyres for her; a dealer told her at the last service she needed 4 new tyres.

They are a bit worn, but nowhere near needing to be replaced until probably next service.

Did I lose a sale? On the day - yes.

But she might also tell 10 other people we looked after here and were honest. Where is she likely to take her car for the next service?

I have had corollas for the mist if 30 yrs .
I have had mechanics rip me off then pull out all they dud when they realised we were onto them

I've had a mechanic in a mitsubitchi make up stories and never fix my car properlyi should hav changed mechanic sooner but was sure he was honest .

My family noticed with one mechanicwe had problem after problem and endless oil leaks after giving it to him . Again we should have changed mechanic sooner but again thought he was honest .

Then came Toyota dealership with their 3 year worthless warranties . Whenever something should have been fixed under warranty they would say it's not includednithing seemed included under warrantee . But they give long warrantees so u have to go to them fir service .
Each time they would say so many things need fixing

We also had ti tell them only basic service anything else check suth me first .
I would then ask another mechanic who quoted less and Toyota would match the price .

Now I go to a mechanic I believe is honest but last check up also cost alot brakes and who knows what over$ 1000. mayb I should always get second quote.

A relative did a short car repair course in Tafe and have prevented being conned because of that course . They caught out mechanics who said something had been done when it hadn't .

I have a local guy I go to. Earlier this year my Astra was due for a new timing belt. It also needed a major service and 2 new tyres.

He quotes me $1300 for all the work, including the tyres (about $300 less than the Holden dealership here). When I go to pick it up the lady in the office apologises that "the bill is so large", and presents me with a bill $250 less than the quote. When I query how he came under his quote, the mechanic says "the job didn't take as long as I thought, as I've done a few of these lately and gotten quicker".

The tyres he put on are terrific, and he charged me cost price because "he's not a tyre shop".

I've been using this guy for both my cars for a while, and am incredibly happy. He's so much better than the Holden dealership it's ridiculous.

I took my car into our local car dealership today for a 80,000 km costing $551 service.

When it goes in it is running like a dream.

Around mid afternoon I am told:

Drive belt is cracked and is perished and belt tensioner needs repair, cost $577;

Auto transmission fluid needs to be replaced, cost $370;

A carbon clean is recommended to improve performance, cost $230;

Attention is needed for the throttle or service throttle, cost $148.

Some kind of detergent flush is recommended to clean the engine etc. cost $57.

Total cost $1565.

My question is – Are these guys genuinely trying to look after a client or are they ripping me off?

Has anyone worked for this type of dealership and can shed any light on their ethics or operations?

I use to work for toyota as a service advisor, I only lasted 6 months as it was long hours and the money I was getting was not worth it, and had to deal with annoyed customers, nobody was ever happy when they service there car.

Drive belt is cracked and is perished and belt tensioner needs repair, cost $577;

sounds about right even though the belt may cost $20 getting to it is the biggest cost and time.

Auto transmission fluid needs to be replaced, cost $370; I would query that going rate is about 120hr plus supplies should not take that long

A carbon clean is recommended to improve performance, cost $230
while this has some benifits, its a bit of a money spinner for advisors $10 per every sell of these.

Attention is needed for the throttle or service throttle, cost $148. i would of thought the carbon clean would do the same thing

Some kind of detergent flush is recommended to clean the engine etc. cost $57.
detergent to flush the old oil before putting new oil in. has some benifits and knew of a guy that that did it with his WRX as he was anal about it, another money spinner for advisors, while it does help not necessary unless its really built up with grit and crap, which i don't think that alone can flush

For a Corrolla? There's a reason why people in the Middle East love Toyota's - they just keep on going, doesn't matter whether it's in extreme heat or how much stick you give it, they just refuse to die and are very cheap to maintain.

How long have you been using this mechanic? What did he charge the time before that, and the time before that?

If they were reasonably priced services this one might be genuine.

If not and he always finds issues then he's probably ripping you off.

Did he warn you last service that some of these looked like they were due?

Like Bayview my mechanic tells me if something has a bit more life in it, or how to check that something is on the way out.

At the moment I've the smallest steering fluid leak but he noted that a year ago and I've only had to top it up once.

I get given a checklist of things looked at showing what is wearing and what's OK.

In short the mechanics history should tell you how genuine he is.

My experience at Toyota dealership for 3 years was that they do seem to add more and more things as much as they think they can get away with .

I had to tell them to ask me for anything above basic quote and then I sought advice .It was very stressful each time.

Back