Is Property Management for Female only?

Hi There,

I am just curious but I see all the Property Manager are just female. Why isn't there is any male Property Manager?

Hopefully someone can shed some light to me on this :confused:.

My PM in Orange is a male and I have had several in other properties in Sydney.

On saying that, these are all smaller independent PM's only and there were all mature men running their own business.

It changes in commercial wherein it is often more men then women. Higher incomes and no week end work thank you.

I have dealt with plenty in my time and all of them have been female. I don't know that it is an important barrier to entry though. It is not uncommon for industries to go one way or the other, but the other sex can usually get in if they really want to. Nurses seem to have a higher propensity to be women and in engineering most of us seem to be men. I know in engineering some effort is being invested to attract the fairer sex into it.

2 of my properties are managed by a male, they do a great job, but another property managed by a female ( had her for 6+ years) and she is fantastic, nothing gets past her and best of all when she goes to do inspections its not just about checking on house and tennants she also starts the upsell eg( added heater into 1 bedroom, cost $640 increased rent $20 a week)

Dragonlady you seem to be doing everything to help the landlord while that sounds good in theory, if your not getting paid for the extra 2 hours its pointless, start to manage the landlord as well as the tennant
Jezza

On too many occasions I have had to spend an hour or two cleaning a property that a landlord thinks is clean enough for either inspections or habitation by someone paying good money. I will not hand a property over if it is dirty as I do not want it coming back that way - I would have no recourse. I take approx. 100 photos for condition reports and who wants proof it was dirty or marks on walls when I know I can get them off. I also spent 10 minutes on my hands and knees cleaning the floor around a toilet trying to find out if the toilet was actually leaking (like the tenant claimed) or it was the tenant leaking (like I thought). I have also cleaned up all the finger print black powder from a property that had been broken into as the tenant was beside herself and the police had told her she would have a hard time getting the powder off. And this is only a small part of my day so yes, I wonder why I only know female property managers!

You have got to be joking. You say you'd like to see men do what you do. I'd like to see women do the work that men do daily. How many women work in mines, build bridges, on oil rigs, on the front lines of war etc. Men make up 95% of workplace deaths. I'd like to know how many women do this:

http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2010/09/15

You need to get off your high horse and learn to appreciate the fact that men do a lot of the work that women won't/aren't capable of doing so that you can live the lifestyle you've become accustomed to.

Well Jezza - sometimes it is not just about money! Sometimes I am paid, other times it's about a new couple moving into their first house and I want it to be nice for them - or a mum with kids doesn't need to be moving into a house that has to be cleaned before she lets her kids crawl around the floor. Maybe it's just a personal (or anal!) thing.

But yes, the landlords are learning.

And to you Bill, thanks for the offer but sorry, I'm way too busy down south to make it to Sydney!

Dragonlady

Well I ( more likely your landlords) appreciate the work you put in Dragonlady, have to agree with BV if you could look after my places that would be fantastic, knowing that I didn't have to do anything and you would clean them up for me. Here I am paying when I buy a place to get carpets steam cleaned and painting the odd wall and having the misses spend 2 hours on a oven that has never been cleaned when low and behold there are PM's out there that will do it free.

Jezza

Mark - you are missing the point

We were talking about why the majority of property managers are female.

You are so wrong! I do appreciate just how hard men work and the jobs they do - I am married to one of them who may not see his kids for days due to the hours and work he is doing. Some would say the money is good - but there is no point to it if (a) he is dead from overwork or accident, or (b) he hasn't got the time to enjoy it. And yes, I have had the phone call to say there has been an accident at work! We were damn lucky he came home that afternoon. He loves his job and that's why he does it.

I am more than happy to get off my butt and work to contribute. Never been any different. I love real estate, I love my job and that's why I do it.

So yes, while men are doing the real jobs that I couldn't or wouldn't do; I'm doing a job I love to do and am good at. And that's the point. I can maintain a house and this is my field of expertise. What is wrong with capitalising on that?

If I can save the landlord money by getting off my high horse and assessing a situation before calling a tradie out to a problem that doesn't exist, or fixing a problem myself, then I will. I work for them and I will do my job, 100%.

And incidentally - the only payment I receive is my wage. The rea receives the 7.7% commission and, if applicable, a listing fee (1 week's rent).

Jezza!

Here I am paying when I buy a place to get carpets steam cleaned and painting the odd wall and having the misses spend 2 hours on a oven that has never been cleaned when low and behold there are PM's out there that will do it free.

Jezza

Okay, I think you are getting a bit tongue in cheek now. For starters, before you paint a wall - try cleaning it with Gumption first! You will be pleasantly surprised. You can clean a house from top to bottom with this stuff (available from supermarkets for approx. $5). My pm actually thought I HAD repainted a wall!

If I spend two hours cleaning an oven then I will charge you for this @ $25 ph. I'm talking about overall appearance - getting rid of cobwebs, toothpaste on bathroom sinks/taps, marks on walls, dirty sinks and troughs and sweeping/mopping floors. If a tenant hands back a property that is not clean then I can make them clean it well or get a cleaner in at their expense. The point is, I know how clean the property was when they got it, I've got the photos and the condition report, and that is how I want it back.

And the carpets must be professionally cleaned at the start of a tenancy or you cannot make the tenant professionally clean them when they leave!

Dragonlady, you sound like a great PM. You are charging for the work you do, so it is not like you are some kind of doormat. My son is a PM assistant, and he will move to a full PM with more experience. I'm not sure it is his cup of tea, or what he wants to do for a long time. He is pretty lazy at home, and doesn't clean up after himself. I know he would definitely not clean up after a tenant :p.

We find ourselves doing pretty much what you do after a tenancy finishes, if necessary (usually not) and spraying an oven and coming back and wiping it over, or mopping the floors if needed is not something I'm going to get upset over.

I find most tenants leave our places clean enough for new tenants to walk in, but sometimes I find myself doing little things, but I save $2K a year on management for each house so I'm happy to spend an hour cleaning.

If I was to pay for management, I would look for someone like you, who would investigate an issue before calling in an expensive tradie, when often this is overkill.

Dragonlady

Yes you got me, it was a little tongue in cheak, up until you mentioned in that last post about $25p/h I really thought you were going in and cleaning there place for future tenants. What I was getting at was I think it is one thing to manage the tennants but rightly so if a landlord wants to have you manage a place without putting any effort into it and then you would give them the option A) You cleaning it to some standard B) Them cleaning it C) getting a professional company in. Option A & C will cost you money but then show them the book on what responsibilities are for being a landlord instead of them thinking they can just dropping the keys off and expecting someone to start paying them money.

Jezza

If I spend two hours cleaning an oven then I will charge you for this @ $25 ph.

I'm talking about overall appearance - getting rid of cobwebs, toothpaste on bathroom sinks/taps, marks on walls, dirty sinks and troughs and sweeping/mopping floors.

Sorry Jezza if I wasn't clear - I do NOT charge for a general spruice up, namely the overall appearance! I just can't bring myself to hand over a property that does not present well. But yes - landlords do get the option of A, B or C if required.

Last edited:
Back