Is strength training tax deductible ?

Just saw another thread relating to study tax deductions for income producing purposes.

Part of my job is quite physical, have to manually lift over 100kg at times.
Need to stay strong so I don't get injured.
Can I claim strength training/personal training fees off my tax?
If so, would I claim it under personal name, or through my business?

Thanks.

I do strength training so im hoping it is.
Not sure how i can justify it as an IT guy though - maybe ill put it down as stress relief :p

I know that police officers are generally allowed to claim their gym memberships as a deduction but this appears to be the exception to the rule. You could apply for a private ruling to be certain but generally the answer is no otherwise most manual labour employees could claim this as a deduction. The same tax position would apply to the business and you personally.

Alternatively could the employer salary package it so that it can be on pretax dollars? Thered then be fringe benefit costs i suppose.

Alternatively could the employer salary package it so that it can be on pretax dollars? Thered then be fringe benefit costs i suppose.

you are right re FBT, if not deductible to the business or the employee the expense would be subject to FBT and would be better paid from your own after tax cash.

A private ruling is probably the go

There was a case a few years ago I recall that resulted in female airline cabin crew being allowed to deduct the cost of stockings and makeup as being specific to their occupation. However you can't deduct the cost of business suits, shirts and ties just because your job generally requires that you wear those. Also just because a job requires a person to commute a long distance doesn't allow then to claim their travel costs.

So, this would be one of those questionable situations I think that could be worth a shot

I do strength training so im hoping it is.
Not sure how i can justify it as an IT guy though - maybe ill put it down as stress relief :p
only if you have to use a bit of muscle to evict skanky bogan losers who think they have a right to live in your IP for free.

Also applies to normal humans who have a modicum of intelligence and worth to the planet, but who also believe your house is a free hotel.

Just saw another thread relating to study tax deductions for income producing purposes.

Part of my job is quite physical, have to manually lift over 100kg at times.
Need to stay strong so I don't get injured.
Can I claim strength training/personal training fees off my tax?
If so, would I claim it under personal name, or through my business?

Thanks.

What are you lifting that is 100kg?

Can you not 'team lift' or mechanically lift those items?

pinkboy

Just boxes and crates, etc.
Sometimes you can't effectively use lifting equipment.
Being the director, WorkCover rules do not apply for me as far as I know.
As far as I know, I can do anything outside of safe working rules and won't get in trouble, just my own fault if I get hurt or injured.

You may be a director of the company but separately from that, you are still an employee (paid or unpaid) and entitled to have a safe workplace (just like a visitor to your workplace). You may be prosecuted for not ensuring a safe method of working should you injure yourself.

Being the director, WorkCover rules do not apply for me as far as I know.
As far as I know, I can do anything outside of safe working rules and won't get in trouble, just my own fault if I get hurt or injured.

Yes they do. You are also required to have workcover insurance if your company takes in more than a certain amount, roughly $7500 pa from memory. If you don't have workcover insurance you can be in breach of legislation and fined - even if there are no employees other than yourself as director.

I know that police officers are generally allowed to claim their gym memberships as a deduction but this appears to be the exception to the rule. You could apply for a private ruling to be certain but generally the answer is no otherwise most manual labour employees could claim this as a deduction. The same tax position would apply to the business and you personally.

TR 95/13 follows the principle that unless a taxpayer’s normal duties require an advanced (above and beyond normal) fitness level, deductibility of expenses will be denied.

Even watches aren't tax deductible for this bunch.

I don't like your chances Ace. Atleast you'll be strong enough to kick sand in people's face at the beach.

One time we had an OH&S guy come to one of the golf shops I was working at...

He told us the front door mat outside the entrance to the shop had to go because someone might trip on it as they entered the building....it was about 3/4 of an inch thick.

I mean; are these people frickin' kidding?

Yes they do. You are also required to have workcover insurance if your company takes in more than a certain amount, roughly $7500 pa from memory. If you don't have workcover insurance you can be in breach of legislation and fined - even if there are no employees other than yourself as director.

Hi Terry,

We have workers comp insurance for our employees.
But when a workcover rep came in a few weeks ago, he was very protective with employees and I was working in the warehouse at the time, but when he found out I was the director, he basically said personal risk does not apply the same to me.
I was a little surprised, but that's what he said.
I even gave examples of doing certain dangerous and risky activities, and he said it was ok for me to do those, it's my choice.

From Workcover (QLD) I assume its the same elsewhere

Your WorkCover accident insurance policy covers any workers you employ.

Directors, partners or the sole trader of your own business are not covered. It?s not mandatory to have cover, but workers compensation insurance is available for you.

Ace.....maaaate,

Just cos your the Director and the legislation doesn't give a rats about you, doesn't mean you should leave your brain behind. Look after yourself chief and figure out a way of getting either additional manual help or lifting equipment.

People who live with the debilitating pain of a sore lower back or worse for decades would throttle you for doing silly stuff like regularly lifting 100 Kgs or more....especially if it is as irrelevant as just boxes and crates.

These are standard items chief. Humans figured out ways of effectively moving these decades ago.

See below for the OH&S website says (I know....I know)....

?loads heavier than 4.5kg should not be lifted, while seated;
?loads should be kept between the range of 16-20kg, when lifting from a standing position;
?in the 16-55kg weight range, the risk of injury increases significantly, so mechanical or other methods of assistance should be employed;
?weights over 55kg should never be lifted without mechanical or other assistance (eg team lifting);

Forget about tax deductibility.....get some mates to help.

Back