Is there a way to do an easement search myself?

I don't want to pay the $110 is there a way to do an easement search myself?

i) Easement registered over the property

We confirmed that there is an easement (a right of way) in favour to Brisbane City Council registered over the property that you are buying. Please refer to the title search attached here with for your reference. We strongly recommend you to conduct an easement search in order to obtain full details of your right and obligation as an owner the property under such easement. Please note that such further easement will have an additional cost of $110.00. Please let us know by return email as to whether you would like to conduct an easement search.

Answer:
Dial 1100.com is free

Last edited:
On the contract it says for Matters Affecting Property
Title Encumbrances: See Title Search

But the agent didn't give me a title search.

I got the title search now. It says

Easement in gross
Burdening the Land
To Brisbane City Council Over easement

What's burdening the land??

Probably best to check the easement as this can have a huge impact on the value - particularly if you do want to develop.

What's burdening the land??

Simply means that the council has right of access to that portion of land. Normally it's because theres a sewer or stormwater drain that they have to access easily. It will greatly reduce what you can do with the land depending on how big it is.

Purchase the registered survey plan which will detail all easements over the lot. In NSW it costs us $12 or so to do (all done online). I don't know what it costs in QLD, although presumably you can and it is probably cheaper than $110.

If there is an easement and it was not disclosed on the contract you should be able to terminate.

So let me get this straight. You are spending how many hundreds of thousands on a house and you are wanting to scrimp on the $110 search. What about the advice from the conveyancing solicitor regarding that easement? Or are you doing the conveyance yourself?

It should cost you $600 for all the searches or there abouts. $800 plus Gst or there abouts for legals. If you bought the house for $280,000 that is .5% of the purchase price and you are covered by one of the best professional indemnity insurers around.

It should cost you $600 for all the searches or there abouts. $800 plus Gst or there abouts for legals. If you bought the house for $280,000 that is .5% of the purchase price and you are covered by one of the best professional indemnity insurers around.

Perhaps. But do that enough times for properties you don't end up buying and it adds up.

i have given agent the contact details of my conveyancer.

I'm not doing conveyance myself..

But I have decided not to spend the 110 on easement search. i can go to the titles office and get a copy for $30.

ive contacted 1100 dial before you dig and hope they can provide info for free.

that advice is really helpful thanks!

when i started this thread i was hoping some one here would be pro and know exactly what it is by looking at it.

eg. i know the first easement on the title search is the mining crown easement that most properties have. like if you find minerals or rare gems or oil / coal it belongs to them and not you.

i was really really hoping someone would go oh that's just stormwater drain.

the property can't be subdivied so the easement doesn't affect me. The easement is probably a stormwater that doesn't affect me. I have used other tools to make sure it isnt sewer line or gas pipeline etc

i hope everyone can respect my decision.

i learnt something new so this thread wasn't a waste.

thanks Tano, very inovative idea.

I waive professional fees for sales that don't go through and don't do searches until unconditional. Occasionally need to do some searches early, normally <$100

Dial Before You Dig provides information about underground services.

Dial Before You Dig does not provide information about easements.

Easements may exist (or not exist) regardless of whether Underground services exist.

The agent could assist, by giving you a copy of an RPData plan, which will show the location of the easement. A walk over the allotment should show the impact of the location of the easement,and also show a steel inspection plate or two, and they will usually show labels that can give an indication if they are sewer or stormwater. Hope that helps

Back