Is this right?? Chattel Mortgage on Vehicle

this sort of follows on from the other threads about cash flow positive vehicles and write off's etc.

Talking to a mate of mine the other day...he is just about to register an ABN and start a new company so he can do some consulting work in IT.

he was raving on that the first thing he needs to do is buy a new car - and he wants to buy a 5 series BMW (long held dream). Forgetting all the stupid statements about why that car and expense etc. just for a moment here is the scenario and question:

If I remember it right, he was saying that he can walk into the dealer "purchase" with no money down on a chattel mortgage arrangement and drive home.

on his first BAS statement he gets the 10% GST back - about 12000?? which he will use to fund the CM payments for 6-7 months...by then he figures he will be earning enough to continue the payments himself etc until tax time when he will also get the 50%?? tax rebate upto luxury car limit.

Is all this correct????? sounds too good to be true...I have never submitted a BAS but aren't they quarterly or something - so he would still have to carry the payments for the first few weeks until the 10% came back???

what am i missing here - sounds too simple?!?!?!?!?!:confused:

pretty much correct. business use would need to be 100% to claim it all back. and when he sels it he needs to remit GST as well.

all GSTs etc only up to the LCT limit. on a 5 there would be quite a gap?

GST can be used to fund quite a bit of your vehicle holding costs

actually there is the catch - he can;t claim $12000 GST back as the LCT is around $70,000, so max. would be roughly $6500

the tax system has been designed to support local industry... just go with the flow and buy a falcodore

struth...and I thought he was talking a load of ...

LCT is about 57k i think - the way he was talking, the purchase price doesn't matter you still get the 10% GST back - it is the small business rebate that is affected by the LCT??? anything over the LCT isn't considered for the rebate... I may have that wrong though...

re the BAS thingie - can he submit that at anytime or does he have to do it quarterly?? If quarterly i think he may have a problem (unless his timing is spot on) as he would have to carry the cost? I got the impression that he reckons he can submit his first one almost instantly and get it back then...

i dunno - I might be making a meal out of all that - I have no idea about that stuff so could have it wrong.

I might stick to buying houses and let him drive the bimmer!:p

Back