Issue with current property manager

Hi All

I currently have 2 new properties with the same proeprty manager, they transfer rents twice per month. They are very often late with transfers, with me having to chase them up 3 times already in the past 12 months. The latest debacle is one proeprty is 6 weeks behind & the other 3 weeks. I thought it could be the tennants but wasnt sure, so i rang the one that was 6 weeks behind. He told me he has set up direct debit every week & therefore is always up to date. This now confirms to me the property manager is wholly at fault at hording my rental money. I have rang & emailed demanding immediate transfer of funds but as yet nothing. They owe me $3,200 in rents.
What do you reccomend?

I have thought about self managing, I have one other duplex that I self manage & havnt found it too bad, these other 2 properties are near new with a better class of tennent, professionals with young families, one being on $120kpa & works at the local Uni. The other is a manager at a Harvney Normans store. So they are very unlikely to trash the place or bail out & diappear.
One thing that is partly holding me back is that I believe if I self manage you cannot get rental cover insurance is this true?

Spud

Last edited:
You can get landlord insurance. There are companies that will not accept you if your self-manage, but plenty that will.

Self-management is not worth it. Pull your business from that manager and go somewhere else that is reputable and threaten them with a lawsuit, I can almost guarantee that your money will show up in your account in the following 24 hours.

Self-management is not worth it. Pull your business from that manager and go somewhere else that is reputable and threaten them with a lawsuit, I can almost guarantee that your money will show up in your account in the following 24 hours.

Depends on so many things as to whether or not it is worth it. I find it most worthwhile :). Nobody looks after your interests better than yourself.

Depends on so many things as to whether or not it is worth it. I find it most worthwhile :). Nobody looks after your interests better than yourself.

Can't agree more Wylie. However... if you are not confident or have the time to self-manage it is vital that you keep on top of things. If your current PM is not doing the right thing, get rid of them. I would have been on to ours if they were two days late with payments to me - let alone six weeks.

I hope that your situation gets resolved very quickly - that is a lot of money / interest / interest savings that your are missing out on.

Get a new PM - fast.

We had similar problems with a PM being late remitting rent to us, after trying to work through the issues for several months (and many phone calls) the PM went broke.

We eventually got all our money, but it took nearly a year and the assistance of the Dept of Fair Trading.

Not passing on money is the first sign of trouble.
Marg

Back