Issue with high emergency repair cost from tenant

I think my tenant has panicked and didn't look for the main tap. At the end, tenant has agreed to pay half the difference and hopefully that's the end of this matter. I had asked my PM to educate them on correct emergency repair procedure so they don't do this again next time.

Wylie, I suspect you are talking about little quarter-turn taps that you put to stop the water as soon as it comes through the wall? They are a godsend to have. We put them in whenever we do any major under-bench type plumbing repairs, or replacing kitchen/bathroom jobs. Also behind toilets- you can then change cistern washers etc without turning mains off. I didn't realise they'd become a requirement.

Use the ones with ceramic internals and they should be relatively maintenance-free (although nothing really is!). Tenant can quickly and easily turn them off in a situation like the OP's, or if they notice a slower leak into the cupboard, etc. One saved our brand new reno-ed kitchen in abt 2010, so well worth the effort IMO.

Edit: glad to hear it all worked out satisfactorily, kennyboi.

If the HWS is a tank, turning off the mains won't make a difference until the tank is empty.

Turning the mains tap off will stop all water in the house, both cold and mains pressure hot water (with or without a tank).

It would not turn of hot water which is not mains pressured. Namely gravity tanks. These are relatively rare.

Cheers

Certainly worth installing taps between the wall and flexible hose. I've done this a few times now as the flexi hose is prone burst. I think i paid $4 per tap.

Certainly worth installing taps between the wall and flexible hose. I've done this a few times now as the flexi hose is prone burst. I think i paid $4 per tap.

Had a Similar Issue as a tenant, but followed procedure and contacted plumber on emergency list, problem solved.
This was however clearly pointed out to me at the beginning of the agreement so I was in a good position to act when it happened.

Nikoletta is on the money. Also panic is not an acceptable excuse, they had time and documentation to refer to, panic does not allow you to cause an extra $500 costs to the landlord.

The lease limit of $1000 and the emergency procedures are there to protect the landlord and are reasonable and enforceable.

I'd pay only a reasonable amount.

Cheers
crest133

Back