Ivanhoe, Vic

Why there is such a big price difference within one Suburb ie; Ivanhoe?
One side is selling for mid 650s and the expensive side is 1 million plus.
Does the ripple affect takes place within the Suburb itself?

Proximity to shops and railway station would be a big plus. Some of the streets in this area also have good apeal - nices houses, trees, etc.

Proximity to Bellfield and the waste disposal station in the north would be a big minus. The waste station is not marked on the Melway (I think) but is just to the west of the old Repat Hospital

In the west you again have a more industrial feel and its hard to walk to the station

In the east you are close to Eaglemont. This suburb is even more expensive and you can walk to that station if you want.

Its not a ripple effect, more that some pockets are seen as more desirable than others. That said, I also think that the price difference is too large to be sensible. Eaglemont is 2km from Heidelberg west but land sells for 3 times the price.

It's similar to Heidelberg and Heidelberg West.
The east side of Ivanhoe (near the station) is the expensive bit. The west side is more akin to the concrete housing commssion blocks.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks

Thanks DIS and Y-Man.
The reason i am asking is because we recently bought our PPOR (without knowing that there are two sides of Ivanhoe...stupid me) 2 months ago, thought i got a bargain.
The place is awesome and just two doors away from the Liberty Parade and the creek. The fact that worries me is whether this place will ever get CG in the near future as i would like to buy IP once we have some equity build up.

IMHO, I think there is huge potential for growth in the area. Remember that as a PPOR the important thing is that you enjoy it. CG is a secondary benefit. I would not let that worry you.

Cheers,

The Y-man

I bought my IP in Heidelberg west. You cant walk to the station but you can walk to Northland. IMHO the price differential will close bewteen the posh pockets (Ivanhoe, Eaglemont, and parts og Heidelberg and Heidelberg Heights) and the less desirable parts. Both should have decent CG but the ex housing commision areas have good potential to gentrify, while the posh areas are already priced for being nice neighbourhoods.

Over the short term yes the more expensive part will be more consistent in terms of growth and might pull away at some stages.. but over a 10 year period you will find they will grow at roughly the same percentages.

Essentially 50 years down the track if they continue to grow at the same percentage there will be a significant amount of difference between the two in todays money, but an insignificant amount in tommorrows money, if that isn't confusing the situation :p

Defiantly agree with whats been said

When we were looking for a place we almost got a run down corner block on 700sqm of land for around the $300,000 mark.

The house needed to be completely replaced but the land value would have easily made up for that.

The reason we didnt get it was because it was edging onto Bellfield and the houses in the area were not as nice. Still if i was after a development opportunity at that time i defiantly would have went for it

Long term median house prices for Ivanhoe:

Ivanhoe: 1994 Median House Price: $220,000.......2004 MHP: $526,000........Change of: 139%

Ivanhoe East: 1994:MHP $370,000 (less than 10 sales that year)......2004: $750,750.............Change of: 103%

(The source of these statistics is from Victorian Valuer-General 1994-2005)

Then according to my trusty Australian PropertyInvestor Magazine (October edition):

Median House Price for 12 months to 30 June 2007 (Australian Property Monitors)

Ivanhoe median price is: $570,000

Ivanhoe East: $793,000

Just some info...might help you a little, along with all other considerations.:)

A friend lives in Ivanhoe East, overlooking the Yarra River and park, upstream from the golf club.

One of my favourite parts of Melbourne...

Though I wouldn't want to live in The Boulevard, especially at Christmas.

Long term median house prices for Ivanhoe:

Ivanhoe: 1994 Median House Price: $220,000.......2004 MHP: $526,000........Change of: 139%

Ivanhoe East: 1994:MHP $370,000 (less than 10 sales that year)......2004: $750,750.............Change of: 103%

wowow...thats an awesome CG...139%
Bit relieved now...Thanks Our Obsession

Its great to know that a 2 bedroom brand new Townhouse was sold for $550000 couple of months ago in our street...seems like This Side of Ivanhoe is picking up as well :)

I strongly believe that Ivanhoe is catching up with Ivanhoe East and soon Ivanhoe will see Million Dollar plus properties especially area near the Creek (Liberty Pde).
I have also heard somewhere about the East-West Tunnel project...that will have a major impact on Ivanhoe once approved...
Any Thoughts/Comments on that?

I drove through the area on my way home today and two streets were blocked off while the police conducted a raid!!!

There is still a little way to go to gentrifying the whole area!!!!

I also admit it could happen in any suburb

Chris

Thats alot! I remember a 2 brdm unit sell for $342k on that street in about June (memory is hazy). It was a bit older and I didnt like the floor plan. I didnt turn up for the auction - wish I had!! :p

Back